Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Cruise Control in India is:
Useful 513 61.88%
Useless 316 38.12%
Voters: 829. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2020, 19:13   #31
BANNED

Re: Cruise Control in India - Useful or Useless?

None of my cars so have these come equipped from the factory and I prefer having this as a feature. Helps a lot to have this feature especially when on long drives and while driving on known roads. I feel with cruise control one can ease/relieve some pressure off the right foot even if that is for a while and also helps in extracting better FE during the drive.

Had read a thread by BHPian one the issue of 'Driver's Foot" - Link to thread. Though I have never faced the issue but have heard three friends describing the symptoms.

With the Creta facelift happening in sometime around early 2018, cruise control was added to the features list. I am doing my research to retrofit Cruise control without any compromise and shortcuts as I prefer having it on my car and I can use it daily for 30 kms minimum.
Old 2nd June 2020, 19:14   #32
Senior - BHPian

I've voted useful. Yes on our roads, even on highways, one can't be on cruise control eternally. Still it's a big boon to have it on really really long drives - just to give your right feet a deserved break. It also aids in driving economically besides getting caught unawares breaching speed limits. I wish to have a right side dead pedal too which only few cars come with, and that would endow the right one a total respite. Most VAG cars has it I suppose. I love it in my Laura.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Cruise control can also make the driver lose concentration (or contribute to drowsiness)
Add AT to the equation, and all you do is just steering the car. They call it highway hypnosis - one of the flip sides of cruise control.
Quote:
Highway hypnosis is a state of mind that is experienced by car or truck drivers while driving over long distances. This phenomenon happens only on extremely smooth and traffic-free roads. The driver feels like “sleeping with eyes wide open” while operating the vehicle and the accelerator. It can lead to high-speed accidents and is the reason behind many such accidents. Cruise control can add to this phenomenon
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/drive...ml#post4812629

https://www.cartoq.com/what-is-highw...IvLQTrdZtBVbos

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 2nd June 2020 at 19:35.
Bibendum90949 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 19:40   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So, do you think Cruise Control is a useful feature in India or not?
I've voted for USEFUL although it depends on driving conditions too. I've used it extensively on highways and it's a boon especially on expressways. I set my cruise at 100kmph on expressways and 80kmph on highways, and I use the resume button if I slow down. I find it as a nice feature, good to have. I hope adaptive cruise control comes down to mass market level cars. But one thing I don't like about Cruise Control is that at times, one feels disassociated with the car. And that can be dangerous when driving on a long, smooth, straight highway like the Agra-Lucknow expressway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Maruti Dzire
Maruti XL6
Maruti Vitara Brezza
Maruti Ciaz
You forgot to mention the S-Cross.
BoneCollector is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 20:04   #34
Senior - BHPian

Have clocked quite a lot of Kms in India. I have never felt cruise control to be useful due to the unpredictive nature of our roads. Probably an adaptive cruise control might help a bit.

I prefer to cruise with a light foot on the accelerator, and a simple step away to get engine braking and a slight force to speed up a tad bit. We are in charge and aware, where as I don't like the feeling of a car rushing to the one in front at a constant speed only to press a pedal to come out of cruise and set it back, feels hectic.

It's a fancy feature so far for me, never really useful
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 20:41   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

I think there are some boring roads where you can use this feature for sometime, like the Davangere - Goa highway stretch, roads around Thirupathi etc. I know some guys who do not enjoy driving as much who will find it useful, for others we like our pedals, steering and the ability to drive - isn't this the live to drive forum?

Voted Useful - but not for me.
Old 2nd June 2020, 23:05   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

My vote goes to USEFUL.

A similar discussion exists from an earlier time on this thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...rol-india.html (Do we need cruise control in India?).
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 09:50   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

I definitely find it useful. I can quote examples of many highways where I have maintained a consistent 100-110kmph for extended periods of time. It takes some time to get used to but definitely adaptable. Initially my dad was not comfortable with using it but he got used to it and now finds it very convenient. Its definitely not for pedal to the metal driving and would not work in India if the set speed is higher, but I feel 100kmph mark is manageable. Earlier this year we drove from Bangalore to Hampi and it was a pain for me to not have CC and had to keep myself from not being too fast since the road is excellent. Same thing is applicable for most NHs around Bangalore at least. Of course, we cant say 100% usability on the highway, but I would guarantee anywhere between 50-70% usability. Our roads are getting better, and maybe not driving manners but we definitely cant write off Cruise control. Heck, last week I used it on the Bangalore outer ring road and in between Marathahalli to Silk Board, I used it for close to 70% of the time due to the sparse traffic
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 09:56   #38
BHPian

Voted Useful

I am not a big fan of cruise control but doesn't feel any harm in doing so specially when you want to drive sedately. On highways you will definitely get lot of patches where you can switch it on and relax your right foot. Basically your both legs are free and only hands are busy in an automatic car with cruise control. I don't see much benefit in a manual car as any minor obstruction will result in gear change whereas in automatic you can simply press resume. Taj yamuna express way is the best highway to enjoy cruise control for Delhi/NCR people.
roby_dk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 12:39   #39
BHPian

Definitely useful!

The quality of our highways and expressways is getting better by the day and you'll find many stretches where you can maintain good speeds consistently. It is always good to have cruise control chugging the car along while the driver can take the leg off the throttle and stretch/move the ankle once in a while. One might not be able to cruise for hours together on cruise control like in developed countries, but even if it can be done for 15-20 minutes at a stretch before you need to brake for an obstacle, it is a good feature to have.
Added_flavor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 13:01   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
Voted Useful

I am not a big fan of cruise control but doesn't feel any harm in doing so specially when you want to drive sedately. On highways you will definitely get lot of patches where you can switch it on and relax your right foot. Basically your both legs are free and only hands are busy in an automatic car with cruise control. I don't see much benefit in a manual car as any minor obstruction will result in gear change whereas in automatic you can simply press resume. Taj yamuna express way is the best highway to enjoy cruise control for Delhi/NCR people.
It's very useful even in a manual tranny car. Been using it in India with a manual tranny, and fatigue is greatly reduced. On hwys, even when you get brief interruption, it's not that major an interruption that merits a downshift, in most cases. So it's very nearly as useful as in an auto tranny car.
vharihar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 18:11   #41
Senior - BHPian

Extremely useful depending on the car and the road. Boring but well laid out highways like the one between Bangalore and Hyderabad, is the perfect road to use cruise control. When driving cars with a sub 1.3 litre motor, I find that the foot is usually mashed all the way down in which case cruise control is rarely necessary, however having to keep your foot elevated and apply light pressure on the throttle in a more powerful car, can be cumbersome on long boring highways in which case cruise control does come in handy. Also I find that during rainy conditions, the constant changes that the drive by wire throttle creates when using cruise control to maintain a set speed, decreases a car's tendency to aquaplane.
Old 3rd June 2020, 20:42   #42
BHPian

I actually avoid engaging my cruise control in wet/rainy conditions, primarily bcoz I don't get a confident feel about it and fear that hydroplaning or slippage may be more enhanced. So I rather use my human feel to judge the slippage and correspondingly press/release the accelerator. I'm not sure what level of traction electronics I have in my car (I have ABS that I know, other than that I'm not sure), so am a bit afraid to yield all control to it.

In dry road conditions, I always use cruise control.

Last edited by vharihar : 3rd June 2020 at 21:09.
Old 3rd June 2020, 21:10   #43
BHPian

When I was in the UK between 2005 to 2010, I owned a VW Bora 1.9tdi and the car got me so used to the Cruise Control.

Fast forward to 2019 and we bought the Ecosport S. I try and use the Cruise Control on highway drives once in a while but end up driving with my Right foot! But, driving on the Hyderabad Outer Ring Road, the cruise control is extremely useful. Therefore I voted useful.
Old 3rd June 2020, 21:26   #44
BHPian

The trick to successfully using cruise control in India for as long as possible, is to be a bit conservative in your driving habits. If the speed limit is 80 kmph, stick to 95 kmph or so max. Dont go aggressive at 110 kmph speeds, else you'll have too many interruptions.

If you do this, then you'll have a fatigue-free and enjoyable drive with cruise control.

Besides, this is anyway the sensible thing to do.
Old 3rd June 2020, 21:28   #45
BHPian

I voted for useful.
It has only been around 15 days since I have a vehicle with Cruise Control. However, I got to test it on the very first day itself with a 250 kms drive back to home. Since it was lockdown, the highways were very less congested and I was able to use it at stretch for around 20kms and immediately realized that it would be a pretty handy feature on a really long drive! I just hope that our highways become safer so that features like these can enhance the travel experience.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks