Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2007, 12:16   #1
Senior - BHPian

Verna Accident ! EDIT: Acquitted, at last.

I had an accident with my Verna CRDi on 12th march , Was driving to work at around 0800 Hrs , accident happened on the outer ring road from Hennur Signal towards Nagavara signal. Was running arond 50-60 Kmph in the middle track about 50 meters behind a heavily loaded truck , did not wantto overtake coz i needed to take a right at the next signal , and more over there was a lot of heavy vehicle traffic.

And the next thinsg i see is a man running from the side of the raod and yeah ran straight into my car , impact was made after i braked and steered to right before locking tehbrakes , but damage was done already as he was thrown to the windshield and lay there . Then heard screehing of truck tyres behind me so i moved the car to the left extreme of the road and got out to find no pulse on the guy.

Immediatley called the poilce who turned up in about five minutes and promptly arrested me.Luckily there were a lot of people watching this guy run across the road and were supporting me when some local guys started getting heated up , because of that i did not get thrashed up and nor did my car get burnt , which is very usual in blore now a days. My car suffered a damaged front bumper, bonnet, broken left headlamp and broken windshield. The monetary losses are substantial and the pain of havin to go though a court trail are huge .But more than all this is the remorse of having lost a life for no fault of mine ,, and inspite of me trying my best to avoid it .... i am yet to get over the trauma.

I still maintain that The VERNA is a very car coz it held its line while being braked and behaved as designed. The vehicle is still lying at Trident Hyundai , kalyannagar awaiting repiars for "lack of parts"
hellstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2007, 13:36   #2
Team-BHP Support

He hellstar thats really really very sad. The way Indian legal system works in automobile accident cases is that you are guilty unless proven innocent. Hope you get through this trauma.
Old 22nd March 2007, 13:42   #3
BHPian

Wow ..Hellstar. That sure was bad. Death is always so terrible and sad. I hope you get over it soon - sure you will come through it, but just keep strong.
Old 22nd March 2007, 13:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

Oh thats a really bad incident. The car will be fine. I wish you all the best for all the legalities.

Drifter
Old 22nd March 2007, 13:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

Jeez, sorry to hear about this man! Be strong, its tough to get over this kind of thing when you know you have a death on your hands but you can do it! Our prayers are with you
Old 22nd March 2007, 13:52   #6
BHPian

Sorry to hear of your experience. Sometimes people are plain suicidal. I had a similar case. I was traveling at night at around 12 midnight on the Abids Road. The road was mostly empty, with little traffic. Was going around 60-70 kph. Suddenly a group of youngsters in full josh (laughing and in a masti mood) ran across the road from the other side of the road (from my perspective, right side of the double lane road with center line) to get across to other side. Whether they were blind or not, they practically charged full speed straight for the car and stopped just short (with one guy having to press on the bonnet to stop) on my prolonged honking. They had no bad intentions, as they just went around the car and continues on still in full josh. Crazy guys! As if they cannot see my car with full headlights on, on a longish stretch of road, that is, no sudden turns that would have hidden my car from view!

Hope you don't come out for the worse from this experience.
Old 22nd March 2007, 13:54   #7
BHPian

Hey Hellstar,

My best wishes are with you. As someone on this forum earlier said .. the car will be okay, I pray the legalities and other related stuff go okay with you. Do continue sharing your experiences here on the thread.
Old 22nd March 2007, 14:01   #8
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
I had an accident with my Verna CRDi on 12th march , Was driving to work at around 0800 Hrs , accident happened on the outer ring road from Hennur Signal towards Nagavara signal. Was running arond 50-60 Kmph in the middle track about 50 meters behind a heavily loaded truck , did not wantto overtake coz i needed to take a right at the next signal , and more over there was a lot of heavy vehicle traffic.

And the next thinsg i see is a man running from the side of the raod and yeah ran straight into my car [..]
I am pained to hear about your tragic accident. The problem with getting stuck behind these trucks is that they block your view; it is quite possible that but for the truck in front (and maybe other trucks on the left lane), you might have seen the guy start out from the left side of the left lane and reacted in time. Although you seemed to have maintained a healthy distance of 50 m from the truck at 50-60 kmph. Anyway, it looks like you could not have done much to avert this accident; the guy was suicidal and you tried your best.
Old 22nd March 2007, 14:02   #9
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Hey hellstar this is a real sad incident, hope you get through the legalities without more problems.

be strong!!
Old 22nd March 2007, 14:08   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hi thanks to everybody for the prayers and the good words. The worst part is the way the newspapers spread the news around in such a way that most people after reading the report will feel that I am at fault.

On the same day there was another accident in which an AP registration truck ran over and killed two guys slowing down to go over a hump at Marathalli Ring Road on the same day . Thats near where i stay there was no report of such event in the newspapers, i guess being a software professional has its cons too...

I am very lucky to have an extremly supportive employer who rushed men and resources to help immediatley as the accident site was only about 1 kms from my office.and family for emotionally supporting me through out the legal ordeal , which is only started as of now. Without these i would have been in am unimaginably bad situation.

Anyways thanks again guys for the good words...
Old 22nd March 2007, 14:10   #11
Team-BHP Support

Hey hellstar, could you post what the newspapers reported?
Old 22nd March 2007, 14:26   #12
Senior - BHPian

The Times of India carried the news on the third page under the headline " Techie Arrested " On the Hindu i belive it was on the Fourth page and Deccan Herald on the Thrid page again on the 13th March Edition.

TOI and HINDU quoted my real name and my empolyer name , Deccan Herald did the honours of announcing my Vehicle registration number .

The News even showed up on The "MATHRUBHUMI" newspaper in my home town of Thiruvananthapuram with all details, this did most harm. Anyways I will scan the copies and post tomorrow. I dont have the news papers with me now.
Old 22nd March 2007, 14:33   #13
Team-BHP Support

This is a nasty accident hellstar. Aside from the legalities and damage to the car, I can only imagine the mental trauma you must be going through at this moment.

Our legal system is a mess. I know this first hand as I am still in court over my accident from 2 years ago. Although that was quite a minor one compared to this. Don't take it to heart, just go up there with the truth about what happened and it will be fine. Basically, if an insurance company is to pay the third party for their loss, this is a formality. Crazy system, but we have no choice but to live with it for now.

Our press is famous for blowing things out of proportion without caring to state facts. The less said about them the better.
Rtech is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2007, 14:44   #14
Senior - BHPian

That is really sad hellstar. But thank God you (and your car) survived unhurt(relatively). The emotional trauma is great, but you know that you weren't at fault. Hope the legal system delivers and you get out of this jam soon. All the best.
Old 22nd March 2007, 14:49   #15
Team-BHP Support

sorry to hear about this incident, take care
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks