Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2020, 09:39   #16
BHPian

Re: Driving an MH-registered car in Delhi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
OP has asked specifically about Delhi and for information of others, Road tax is probably highest in Delhi amongst neighbouring states like Haryana, UP, Punjab and Chandigarh with the lowest being at Chandigarh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefpk View Post
I reside in Delhi, and my apartments have quite a lot of out state vehicles and that too about 7-8 years old. There are some Honda City's and Swift's of MH and JH registration and I don't think anyone of them is bothered about the registration to be transferred. You should take more advices on the take but IMHO, transferring the RTO isn't much bother.
It's the opposite in case of Road Tax. It's the cheapest among Haryana, Punjab and Rajasthan except that of Chandigarh. Chandigarh and Himachal have the least RTO tax in North India.

Note: Mods please merge the post. My apologies for repetitive posts.
Old 23rd October 2020, 09:50   #17
BHPian

Hi Nishy, I guess it should not be a problem because I have spent 4 years in NCR with my Chhattisgarh registered CG04 vehicle and I was never stopped for being an out of state registered. My roommate had UP14 Santro and my friend had PB02 Vento, we never faced such problems. Just keep the documents updated all the time and it should not be an issue at least from my experience, of all the time we were stopped was when we were entering from UP to Delhi somewhere near Ghaziabad-Delhi border and that too I guess was more of a alcohol busting drive because people do involve in such tactics due to lower taxes and stuff.

Happy motoring
sachin_cs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 11:18   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nifty.Nishy View Post
Hello All,
My plan was to move to Delhi with my car, and not bother too much about the registration, I am big on road trips, so will be able to collect tolls / Fastags very frequently.
As a resident of Delhi for all my life, I can assure you that you won't be harassed by the cops here on this aspect. Almost 50% of the cars on Delhi's roads are from other states and hence the cops don't bother you with this. Still just to be on the safer side, keep an occasional toll receipt with you as it won't cost you anything in the rare instance when someone stops you. Happy motoring.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 12:09   #19
BHPian

You will not face any issue in NCR. I have an HR and DL and drive interchangeable all over the place. And I see cars with multiple state number plates no issues. NCR organically grew out of core of Delhi so things are lax.
Old 23rd October 2020, 12:33   #20
BHPian

I would agree with GTO on Delhi being stricter. Been living here for 15 years now. My father retired from the Indian Army and I work with a PSU, so we're used to moving in and out of Delhi and driving here with other other State's registrations.

As many BHPians pointed out earlier, Delhi has a huge number of Govt. Officers, Defence personnel and is bordered by 2 States so it's pretty common to see non DL registered vehicles and they're mostly not bothered by the cops.

However, being the capital, Delhi also has the most amount police check posts, which go up even more around special events. I have found Delhi's traffic cops to be much more aggressive compared to other metros. Delhi's current CM hasn't made his exclusionist attitude towards other States a secret.

If you don't mind the 5% risk of getting pulled over by a cop then carry on with the MH plate, keep toll receipts and other justifications handy.
Old 23rd October 2020, 12:39   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Hello All,

My plan was to move to Delhi with my car, and not bother too much about the registration, I am big on road trips, so will be able to collect tolls / Fastags very frequently.
No problem whatsoever, this is one place where police won't give you grief over out of state numbers (Especially in Delhi, Haryana and maybe NCR).

There's no issue over out of state numbers, even in case of a traffic violation, but Delhi traffic police is notorious for challaning, even over minor ones.

Kind of , As per my experience, others places aren't as lenient, many traffic policeman in Ahmedabad, Pune and Chennai, will especially stop outside number vehicle if they spot one.
ZeRo© is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 13:12   #22
BHPian

Not directly answering the query, but related:
I had ridden my Enfield Classic with a Kerala (KL) registration in Tamil Nadu for more than 3 years and was never stopped or questioned because of the number plate. Had been stopped twice for not wearing a helmet though.
Also, registering it in Tamil Nadu in my name would've been a big hassle even if I wanted to, because of the unavailability of an 'acceptable' address proof.
Old 23rd October 2020, 13:34   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Have been in your shoes (more or less). I moved from Noida to Mumbai for my first job in 2010 and took my then almost new Pulsar 220 (DL registered). It was a nightmare in Mumbai. Almost everyday I was being harassed by cops for driving an out of state number. Many a times had to bribe them as well. It was so frustrating, after a point, I decided to buy a vehicle there itself (a car this time, which I was anyways planning). The car was Panvel (MH46 registered). As luck would have it, got a chance to move back to Delhi / NCR in less than an year after acquiring the car. Shipped my MH46 car to Noida and started driving in Delhi / NCR. It was a cake walk in Delhi, no policeman ever bothered me for an out of state car. In fact, paid some proper challans (over speeding) as well and then also there was no question on the MH plate. Used the car for 3 more years in Delhi / NCR (including multiple trips to CH, Shimla, Manali, RJ, Nainital etc.) and then sold it off here itself (exchanged) for a new car. Long story short, you will not have any issue in driving an out-of-state car in Delhi / NCR. No point in selling it at a loss or going through the transfer process. Just relax and drive safely.

Last edited by tarik.arora : 23rd October 2020 at 13:35.
tarik.arora is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 13:52   #24
BHPian

I drove two out of state cars, one RJ and the other MH. Faced no issues in either Gurgaon or Delhi (lived in both over a 3-yr period, recently). So long as you keep your documents up to date and do not end up in unnecessary trouble (drive responsibly, don't park irresponsibly etc.), I found Delhi Police to be pretty no nonsense. Only once was I fined for the RJ car where I was about 6 kms over speed limit on a fairly empty stretch (Vasant Kunj). That was a fair call, I paid the fine only for speeding and that was that.
Old 23rd October 2020, 15:01   #25
BHPian

I drove my MH registered car for over a year in Gurgaon and the rest of NCR. Was not bothered even once.

I also frequently visit Delhi with UP registerd cars from Mathura, and have never faced a problem.

So, I think you should be fine with your car.
Old 23rd October 2020, 16:18   #26
BHPian

I have been driving my GJ registered car in MH for over 4 years now.

Even in the instances that cops have flagged my car for the loud exhaust note, never have they questioned the registration.

I think you'll be fine !
Old 23rd October 2020, 16:29   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Really? I would expect Delhi to be the strictest because of their cap on the age of cars (10 years = diesel, 15 = petrol) and other stringent rules (e.g. odd-even schemes).
Been driving with CH01 and RJ19 (Chandigarh and Jodhpur) cars and bikes in NCR since 2010. No RTO checking ever for out of state vehicle. The checks are more stringent in MH and down south. In NCR they don't bother out of state vehicles.
Rathore_13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 17:23   #28
BHPian

I got my JK 02 (Jammu RTO) Bike in Delhi and rode happily for 1 year. Delhi Police was more concerned about my helmet rather than the place of registration. That actually makes sense.
I took same bike to Pune (MH 14 ) and believe me I was harassed left, right and center.
Pune Police was more concerned regarding my JK02 than my helmet. Once i parked my bike outiside a biriyani point in aundh and when i came back, i saw a traffic cop sitting on .my bike waiting for me
Delhi being country's capital and a UT has other priorities.
I believe you won't find such issues in Delhi.
Old 23rd October 2020, 18:19   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Really? I would expect Delhi to be the strictest because of their cap on the age of cars (10 years = diesel, 15 = petrol) and other stringent rules (e.g. odd-even schemes).
I got my '16 Endeavour registered in CH due to the ban on register of 2.0L+ diesels in Delhi at that time, have been driving around since having covered ~50k km and never got pulled over once for out of state plates.

As for odd-even they are actually quite strict and i have had to pay hefty fines on couple of times.The 10/15 age year age cap rule is hardly implemented as i see a hell lot of models from the late 2000's on the road regularly.
Other Bhpians from Delhi NCR, what have your experiences been?

My '12 5'er with 77k on the odo technically has just under 12 months left before it fails the 10 yr age cap and i'm planning to keep it for for another 2/2 years.
Old 23rd October 2020, 18:48   #30
BHPian

I got a sweet deal for a pre-owned Toyota Corolla Altis 2009 Petrol, TN registered, flood affected and restored, and have been driving it for three years in Kerala, where I believe the motor vehicle rules are more strict. I do not know about the case in Delhi though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks