Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2020, 12:48   #1
BHPian

Driving an MH-registered car in Delhi?

Hello All,

I tried searching for a similar thread and found some region-specific threads only, so thought of posting this.
Consider this scenario, I have purchased a car with MH 14 (Pimpri Chinchwad RTO) registration in July 2020, and because of better opportunities, I will have to shift to Delhi by year-end. 50 % of the loan amount has been taken up as a loan for a tenure of 3 years, and the remaining was downpayment.

It is important to mention that, a year ago I shifted from Chennai to Pune with my bike, which I got re-registered here in Pimpri RTO, and that was one mind-boggling process, consistent followups with the agent and the RTO led to immense frustration and self-pity, although it was done after almost 10 months, I have decided to sell off my bike here in Pune itself before shifting.

I am in no mood to go through that ordeal again, and especially considering the road tax amount is going to huge in the case of my car.

Now I'm not looking to sell off my car yet, not sure I can considering the hypothecation, even if I do I'll be incurring huge losses. Requesting fellow BHPians for their guidance, for fellow members like me.

My plan was to move to Delhi with my car, and not bother too much about the registration, I am big on road trips, so will be able to collect tolls / Fastags very frequently.
Nifty.Nishy is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 13:25   #2
BHPian

re: Driving an MH-registered car in Delhi?

The law differs from one state to another. As far as I know, you can drive out of state registration cars in Bangalore and Hyderabad for one year without any problem, however, you have to change the registration post that. Many people choose to not do it as well due to the exact same reasons mentioned in your post.

Traffic police in Hyderabad is much more relaxed on this front. A lot of people in my friend circle have cars/bikes from various states including MH, OD and have never been stopped even after 4-5 years.

For now, you should move to Delhi and then figure out from there. Delhi being country's capital will have cars from all over the place and you will just be one of them. But no one knows when the traffic police falls short of their challan collection and decide that out of state cars need to be fined as well. Maybe Delhi members can chime in here.
Amit_breakfree is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 17:51   #3
BHPian

re: Driving an MH-registered car in Delhi?

I am using my Bihar registered car in Delhi NCR since past 4 years, covering more than 80000 km. I have never been stopped by police because of the registration plate issue. Delhi police is quite lenient with respect to out of state cars.
AnkitAnimesh is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 19:19   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Driving an MH-registered car in Delhi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkitAnimesh View Post
Delhi police is quite lenient with respect to out of state cars.
Really? I would expect Delhi to be the strictest because of their cap on the age of cars (10 years = diesel, 15 = petrol) and other stringent rules (e.g. odd-even schemes).

But then, the road tax is also lower in Delhi than most other States, so if out-of-state cars are there, it's certainly not for tax evasion.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 19:29   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Really?

Yes. The reason is that Delhi has more HR26 (Gurgaon) and UP14 and UP 16 (Ghaziabad and Noida) and even HR 51 (Faridabad) than it has DL number vehicles. Now even UP 18 (Greater Noida) vehicles are increasing.

So the cops cant really discriminate against so many cars.

I drove my PB 02 regd. bike and car for a year and a half, and there were no issues.

Infact I once got away lightly. I mistakenly entered a one-way near the Parliament. Told the cop with a smiling pleading eye that I was a tourist, and wanted a pic with the Parliament background. He said, this is a high security area, its not allowed, go away.
turbo is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 19:30   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nifty.Nishy View Post
Hello All,

I tried searching for a similar thread and found some region-specific threads only, so thought of posting this.
Consider this scenario, I have purchased a car with MH 14 (Pimpri Chinchwad RTO) registration in July 2020, and because of better opportunities, I will have to shift to Delhi by year-end. 50 % of the loan amount has been taken up as a loan for a tenure of 3 years, and the remaining was downpayment.
I have been driving my Chandigarh and Punjab registered cars in Delhi for the past 5 years and I have never been stopped even once for this issue and now I have been driving the same Chandigarh registered car in Pune and no hiccup so far (touch wood). I keep the latest toll receipts with me if in case some good officer decides to flag me for this stupid reason

Last edited by drive_angry : 21st October 2020 at 19:31.
drive_angry is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 19:44   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nifty.Nishy View Post
not bother too much about the registration, I am big on road trips, so will be able to collect tolls / Fastags very frequently.
Zero problems. Delhi being the capital of India, there are people here from different parts of the country besides the daily entry of thousands of cars from adjoining states, like UP, Haryana, Punjab.

You won't be bothered at all anywhere in North India. Chandigarh is one exception but as long as you keep the documents updated, no problems even here. Go ahead and bring your MH car without any fears.
Turbanator is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 20:07   #8
BHPian

Delhi and Haryana police are both lenient that way. I have not heard of anyone being bothered by them for using out of state registered car and not transferring it to Delhi/Haryana number. One of my seniors in office used his MH registered car in Delhi for more than 7 years and as far as I know, he was never bothered by cops.

Though cops look at out of state vehicles as opportunity to milk them as people may avoid coming to court from their native places for any violations.
Amity is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 20:32   #9
BHPian

I can't tell you about Delhi, but with my experience in Mumbai with a KA registered car, I have learnt that as long as you do not give the cops a reason to stop you (read: break traffic rules), they don't bother. Because they already have their hands full with miscreant who flaunt rules like it's their birth right. There's no reason why Delhi police should be any different.
Plus, since Delhi is a UT and has one of the lowest road tax, you are not really doing this to save taxes.

Drive safe and follow the rules, and you should be fine.
GrandTourer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 20:49   #10
Team-BHP Support

OP has asked specifically about Delhi and for information of others, Road tax is probably highest in Delhi amongst neighbouring states like Haryana, UP, Punjab and Chandigarh with the lowest being at Chandigarh.

Regarding MH or of any other state car being used in a different state, like Delhi in this case, it’s pity that one has to go through the process of registration again but that’s a topic for another thread.

Let’s not confuse the OP based on experiences elsewhere. If someone has a different experience relating to out of state car or bike, specifically for Delhi, do share.
Turbanator is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 01:24   #11
BHPian

My family has been using our MH12 registered cars in Delhi and Dehradun for the past year after shifting base to Dehradun in 2019. Till date we have not been stopped for driving around in a car registered outside the city.

Even in my extended family has cars registered outside delhi like UP32, UK07, UP14, UP16, HR26 etc even they have never faced a situation where they have been pulled over specifically for the cars registeration.

Don't worry about this, it won't be a problem.

Regards
Mr.U
Mr.U is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 09:09   #12
BHPian

There was a plan to introduce "One India - One Road Tax" and if/when it is implemented, we don't need to pay tax in the state you moved into or transfer the registration or get a new number.

According to this article, it was supposed to be implemented after the budget this year, but I guess COVID has pushed the plan again.

Being the capital of India, Delhi shouldn't be too strict on checking those details and also in anticipation of this policy, I would suggest you to hold onto your existing registration and just move. Even if this policy doesn't come true immediately, you still have a year to figure it out.
neelkumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 12:19   #13
BHPian

Delhi has a lot of cars with MH registration plates and no one bothers about it. MH, KA, KL, HR, PB, HP, UP, RJ, UK, UA, AS, WB, TN - I've seen all of them running here and cops do not pull over anyone just because they have an out of state registered vehicle.

With regards to 10 year/ 15 year rule, it is applied in whole of Delhi NCR region irrespective of vehicle's state of registration.

So, my advice would be to keep the current MH plates and don't overthink it.
sarav100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 14:53   #14
BHPian

Although I do not reside in Delhi, have travelled to Delhi a few times in GJ car during long road trips, and have not once been flagged due to the plates. Have used GJ car in MH for 3 years, and no issues there whatsoever. The key is to never give them a reason to stop you (read: breaking traffic rules) and you should be fine.

Since you shall be undertaking many road trips and would have many toll/FastTag receipts, you can comfortably use your MH car in DL.

For 11 months, you are anyway legally covered to use the car there, and in the mean time you can figure out what to do with the registration, if at all. Also, you can consider it once your loan tenure is over and the hassles have reduced by that time.
hridaygandhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 09:34   #15
BHPian

I reside in Delhi, and my apartments have quite a lot of out state vehicles and that too about 7-8 years old. There are some Honda City's and Swift's of MH and JH registration and I don't think anyone of them is bothered about the registration to be transferred. You should take more advices on the take but IMHO, transferring the RTO isn't much bother.
chiefpk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks