Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2020, 19:57   #31
BHPian

Re: Driving an MH-registered car in Delhi?

The rules are strict in Delhi yes. But this being the national capital, cars of every state and UT are here and nobody bats eyelids.

I have been using my AS plate cars and scooter here with absolutely no issues. In fact, I got pulled over for red light violation (non working lights but then what to do!) and the cop simply punched in the registration number and all the pertinent data was there on his device. My address is still in Guwahati but it seems challans come by email so no issues there as well.
the cop who flagged me down was strict but not overbearing in any way. He asked me for my licence, took the car number, issued me the challan and told me to pay in court. Plus i got a lecture on why i should not be jumping red lights especially at night. At no time during the entire episode were there any bad vibes! From his behaviour, i felt he was in the hospitality industry before changing jobs probably.
N33raj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 20:05   #32
BHPian

Now post- Covid 19, MH vehicles particularly are seen all over India. Near my house here in Lucknow, I saw around 10 MH autorickshaws recently. I have seen the black-and-yellow (the kaali-peeli) taxis of Mumbai here a couple of months ago. They must have returned. Still, the number of MH vehicles have increased many fold here, even in our society. Many of them are going to continue to remain here, without even a thought to re-register etc. People also move around, and interstate more, these days, in their own cars. Cars of a state are bound to be everywhere in India in the times to come.
So, Delhi should be even less of a problem in this respect, definitely for a long time to come.

Last edited by Vipin Kumar : 23rd October 2020 at 20:07.
Old 23rd October 2020, 20:26   #33
Senior - BHPian

While driving and using an out of State vehicle may not necessarily pose a problem. What will almost certainly be an issue is when you decide to sell your 'outsider' plate car in that city. Expect a big drop in valuation solely on this reason unless you are able to ride back to the 'home' State to close the sale.

I used a TN plate two wheeler in MH (stopped at times) and an MH plate car in KA (no issues faced). However since I may sell the car in future I changed the registration from MH to KA
GeeTee TSI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 22:34   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nifty.Nishy View Post
Hello All,

I tried searching for a similar thread and found some region-specific threads only, so thought of posting this.
Consider this scenario, I have purchased a car with MH 14 (Pimpri Chinchwad RTO) registration in July 2020, and because of better opportunities, I will have to shift to Delhi by year-end. 50 % of the loan amount has been taken up as a loan for a tenure of 3 years, and the remaining was downpayment.

It is important to mention that, a year ago I shifted from Chennai to Pune with my bike, which I got re-registered here in Pimpri RTO, and that was one mind-boggling process, consistent followups with the agent and the RTO led to immense frustration and self-pity, although it was done after almost 10 months, I have decided to sell off my bike here in Pune itself before shifting.

I am in no mood to go through that ordeal again, and especially considering the road tax amount is going to huge in the case of my car.

Now I'm not looking to sell off my car yet, not sure I can considering the hypothecation, even if I do I'll be incurring huge losses. Requesting fellow BHPians for their guidance, for fellow members like me.

My plan was to move to Delhi with my car, and not bother too much about the registration, I am big on road trips, so will be able to collect tolls / Fastags very frequently.
There is no issue at all driving an outstation registered vehicle in Delhi/NCR. Infact, around the time of diesel engine bans (above 2000 cc), all the luxury brands used to get registered in UK/PY. Do not worry about the registration state, just keep all the documents complete and enjoy the drive.
SuperSuri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 22:39   #35
BHPian

My friend has been using his karnataka registered car in Gurgaon and Delhi since 2010 with nil issues .There is no reason to get apprehensive but please do remember that the NGT judgement regarding the banning of >10 years old diesel and >15 years old petrol vehicles in Delhi national capital region applies uniformally to all vehicles irrespective of state of registration .

Another important aspect is that recently Delhi transport department has mandated high security registration plate with colour coded sticker on front windscreen for all vehicles .

Therefore, it is in your interest to get the above mandatory requirements of HSRP completed before moving put of the place of registration of the vehicle.
Old 23rd October 2020, 23:09   #36
BHPian

I am driving Himachal registered cars in Delhi since 2006.

I even purchased Honda Jazz in Delhi showroom, got registration done in Shimla, HP and then I use it in Delhi NCR. Absolutely no issue what so ever. Though now i live in Noida but in Delhi I use to park my car right at the police station entry and still never ran into any trouble. This was for years buddy.

If i were you, I won't even think about going through the transfer process.

Don't violate traffic laws in Delhi NCR (especially jumping red lights and overspeeding ), keep all documents in place and cops won't hassle you much is my experience in the region.

Last edited by sunnsood : 23rd October 2020 at 23:11.
Old 23rd October 2020, 23:56   #37
BHPian

I was in Delhi for 3 years and I was using my MH15 registered petrol car in Delhi. Not a single time I was stopped by any cop for MH15 registered car. Once I was stopped for mistakenly violation of traffic rules. The cop checked all car documents and my driving licence, but he didn't bother out-of-Delhi registration at all. Also many of my friends were using cars registered out of Delhi. They also never faced any problem. So I don't think there will be any problem for MH-registered car. At least this was the case till 1 year back. Also I roamed extensively in Delhi, including Diplomatic area with lot of cops keeping vigil on roads, but no problem. I used the same car to visit almost entire of Rajasthan, but there was no problem.
Old 24th October 2020, 00:38   #38
BHPian

I drove my Bangalore registered car in Gurgaon and Delhi for a year and was never stopped. In Gurgaon I would see alot of out-of-state cars from WB, HP, RJ. If you don't plan on staying in Delhi for more than 1-2 years, you need not worry about driving an MH car there.
Old 24th October 2020, 01:00   #39
BHPian

I have seen that in Delhi and in states north of Delhi the police usually never bothers anyone for driving a car with out of state registration. I have driven HP and HR vehicles all over north India and never faced an issue. The 10 year rule is being implemented strictly though.
There was this one instance almost 20 years ago where me and my friend were riding a bike when punjab police coming in a bolero ordered us to stop. The cops came and said we would be challaned for improper number plate. My friend had a chattisgarh registration. The police said there is a mistake and your bike number should be CH( for chandigarh) and not CG . This was back when chattisgarh was a newly carved state. We explained about the new addition in our list of states and all had a good laugh. So, I guess you should not face any issues.
bullrun87 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 12:53   #40
BHPian

There is absolutely no such issue in most of North India. This is a Southern India (including MH) phenomenon. Most cars in our building have out of state including MH, GJ, BH registrations. No one bats an eyelid. The other weird issue faced in MH of which RTO it is registered in is completely unheard of in Delhi. You can drive any car of any state registration anywhere in Delhi, Haryana, Punjab, UP, Uttarakhand, HP and Rajasthan without worry. Even if you live here for 5 years with it.
Old 24th October 2020, 13:42   #41

I have been driving MH02 registered car in Delhi NCR since May last year.
I have done the same in past during 2011-12 before moving back to Mumbai.
No cop will bother you here. I regularly drive between Noida, Delhi and Gurgaon with frequent outstation trips as well. No challenges faced.
nalinsaxena23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 23:06   #42
BHPian

Have driven my MH02 registered car in Delhi since 2012. Have been challaned once too for sun-film on windows when the crackdown regarding sun-films had just started in Delhi but no question was asked by the cops about the car being out of state.

Have shifted to Gurgaon recently and there is no issue here too. Of course, the problem that I face now is of HSRP and colour coded sticker. I cannot go back to Mumbai to get HSRP and sticker affixed so I will have to use the MH registered car in Gurgaon only I guess or wait for the campaign to die down. For runs to Delhi, I will be using my other car because of the HSRP issue.
Old 24th October 2020, 23:09   #43
BHPian

It will not be an issue in Delhi. Delhi gets lots of people on transfer and deputations as well who bring their out of state cars for their 1-2 year stay and never have an issue. Keep your papers in order and you are good to go.
Old 25th October 2020, 02:26   #44
BHPian

You can drive your car in Delhi with no problems as long as you're following all the traffic rules and not giving a chance to the cops to stop you.In most cases the cops already have their hands full with rash drivers which Delhi already has in abundance
Old 25th October 2020, 07:36   #45
BHPian

I remember getting NoC for my car from my NCR town RTO. People (the agent, RTO guy) had a sense of disbelief when I explained why I needed the NoC. The reaction was like whether there is really such a rule somewhere.
Their sense of disbelief is only matched by the people in southern states when they are told that such thing does NOT exist in Delhi-NCR. I had a hard time convincing a few guys in my Bangalore office.

So, my dear friend, simply don't fret over this issue and just move your car. Don't drive wrong side, stop before the line before the zebra crossing and strictly don't overspeed on Delhi's Outer Ring Road. They key is to notice if other drivers are driving slower than usual. It means that there is an interceptor hidden ahead. Helmets, front passengers always wear seatbelts goes without saying.
The only place you will find police extorting money on flimsy grounds/invented rules is Punjab. Still, you can bargain with them like a vegetable market.
atnyia is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks