Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2020, 17:47   #46
BHPian

Re: Bricks fell on neighbour's car! Now what?

Well, if the government is legally letting you keep the construction materials on the road, it's a fairly simple deal.
Ask him to use insurance!

Why would you be obliged to pay for it? I mean, all these technical and legal grounds don't stand in real life. It's more complicated than it seems. Everyone bashing for using public space for construction really need to check how was their premises were built! Just because you're done with construction don't be so inconsiderate towards people!

Also, for your peace of mind just pay it up and get over with it. You wouldn't want them to come in daily to interrupt your project. That's going to add costs either ways, add these expenses to the tab where you would put the unofficial charges borne towards govt and let it be. It's going to be a very small amount either ways.

Waiting for the footage and let's see how that goes! If he rammed into the bricks and then created this havoc. Oh, boy! We're in for a show!
bhansali_hardik is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 20:52   #47
BHPian

From the last picture I can see lower part of the bumper is also damaged. I guess it is the car owners fault, how can bricks stacked hit lower lip of the bumper? Only the CCTV recording can confirm it.

If CCTV comfirms that it was not the car owners fault, then just get the car fixed outside from a reputed garage. Do not go to service center, they will charge you a bomb.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 21:54   #48
BHPian

I too am of the opinion that he might have misjudged the gap while trying to park and hit the stack of bricks. That's simply too much damage from falling bricks from that height, but maybe it can with a Dzire .
Wish you had someone there to quickly check if the car had run just before (Hot bonnet?). Hope you get some useful pointers from the opposite house CCTV.

And surprised many of you suggest the car owner claim insurance even if he was not at fault. "IF" he had accumulated 50% NCB over the years, why should he waste it for no fault of his? That can cost him ~3K to 7K every year and if he was to transfer 50% NCB to his new vehicle purchase, that would be a considerable amount as well.
Old 18th November 2020, 00:55   #49
BHPian

I have never seen building material being stacked inside the premises. In some areas its technically not possible. So the advise of having the bricks stacked inside premises was uncalled for. And going by the extent of damage I do not anticipate huge costs in getting this repaired. So it can be sorted out easily. Just imagine it could have been worse like our fellow bhpian who had to shell out INR 75000 for getting BMW repaired.
Maverick Avi is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 08:23   #50
Senior - BHPian

Same here. In fact owners have blocked complete roads in Bangalore, by stocking everything outside. It's wrong, but an accepted practice nevertheless. Neighbours are ok with this, (grudgingly though), because one day or the other it will be their turn to do some construction. I havent been in those shoes yet, being an apartment dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick Avi View Post
I have never seen building material being stacked inside the premises

Last edited by Sebring : 18th November 2020 at 08:53.
Old 18th November 2020, 08:47   #51
BHPian

I'm sorry but you are following very unsafe practices of storing building material. What if brick had fell on someones head? Please take care in future because human life is precious.
IP_Man is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 09:03   #52
Senior - BHPian

Irrespective of whether its legal to store bricks on road, if the bricks did fall on the car, the car owner needs to be compensated. Its legal to drive on roads, but can we hit someone ? And also building materials need to be stored securely. We hear people losing their lives when scaffolding fall etc. Lucky nothing untoward happened here.

Guess we just want to know if the car hit the bricks or not ?

Last edited by srishiva : 18th November 2020 at 09:05.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 23:26   #53
Senior - BHPian

Car was driven into the bricks. The way brick is located in the airdam and lower bumper damage proves the point. Brick cannot bounce off and damage lower portion of bumber.

Moreover, damage on hood and grille isnt much. Even the headlights aren't impacted. Competent FNG can fix this is around Rs.8,000. Check with his insurance if one or two claims are impacting his NCB or not. If no impact, ask him to get it done via Insurance.
Old 23rd November 2020, 11:33   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkc View Post
Have written and given a slip for the date and time of footage. The house people were in urgency to go somewhere so, left the slip for them to see later.
Any positive movement/update on this matter? Considering it's a neighbor case with not that much of a damage, I believe this would have been resolved by now (either way), no?
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 21:58   #55
bkc
BHPian

Hi all,
Got an update. The lady in the opposite house, after asking several times, said that their CCTV footage video jumps in that time interval. Anyway I guess it's not true.

Yesterday, the car guy called up, he said that he is going the insurance route and asked me to pay the difference in the range of 4 - 4.5k. I agreed happily.

Now, I do not want to do anything about the footage and the car guy also seemed very reasonable in his demands.

I will update, once he comes back with the update. Some of you have advised to pay online, is it needed?
Thanks.
bkc is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 22:01   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I will update, once he comes back with the update. Some of you have advised to pay online, is it needed?
Thanks.
Best to document whatever agreement is reached in some form, and yes, please make a traceable transaction for record-keeping and peace of mind.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 23:17   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,
Got an update. The lady in the opposite house, after asking several times, said that their CCTV footage video jumps in that time interval. Anyway I guess it's not true.

Yesterday, the car guy called up, he said that he is going the insurance route and asked me to pay the difference in the range of 4 - 4.5k. I agreed happily.

Now, I do not want to do anything about the footage and the car guy also seemed very reasonable in his demands.

Thanks.

You are indeed lucky that he decided to go the insurance route. Truth be told, If I had been in his place, and it was not my fault, I would have made you pay the entire bill that too if not from Maruti but from the best FNG known for painting in town.

Last edited by Altocumulus : 28th November 2020 at 23:19.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 10:45   #58
BHPian

Well any claim made against an insurance policy shall at the very first place be examined from the perspective of legal admission.

In this case the pile of bricks was purportedly in illegal occupation of public space (assuming that specific approval from the authority by paying fees for such occupation was not obtained), the fate of the case rest with the status of car parking. If the car owner has obtained permission to park the car by paying the fees, then he will not only get the insurance but will also win the legal battle of any. In case if the parking is also illegal, then the insurance claim will be rejected. Approaching judiciary in such situations will invite action against both parties without any solution to the main issue i.e., damage to the car.

To avoid further trouble, it is advisable that both parties to sit across the table and settle the matter amicably.

Hope this helps.
Old 3rd March 2021, 07:24   #59
bkc
BHPian

Hi,
Sorry for the very late update. An amount of 4.5k was paid to him, via Googlepay as some members insisted.
bkc is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks