Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2021, 08:19   #46
BHPian

Re: OEM LED/HID headlights - Do they cause issues to other motorists?

Many Scooter/Motorcycle Riders are blissfully unaware of whether their headlights are in Upper/Dipper mode. Many times, the LED headlights in reflector setup for the Scooters isn't set up properly and causes a lot of glare for the oncoming vehicles. Correct alignment of the headlight beam is neglected as well. I stay on the second floor and many times there is a headlight beam in our balcony from the 2-wheelers on the street ahead.
adi.mariner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 09:22   #47
Senior - BHPian

From what I have seen, LED high beams are blatantly misused to bully the driver ahead, to get a pass.

It has happened with me often. The car behind me, will flash it's high beams ten times, showing no patience.

My ORVMs will blind me. My car's cabin will be filled with light. And it becomes difficult to even concentrate looking ahead.

Enough space or not, I will choose to make space and let the idiot pass, so that this light goes away.

LEDs in high beams are a bane, only because drivers here misuse them.
ashutoshb is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 11:02   #48
BHPian

Honestly, 95% of the junta don't even know what is a DIPPER!
I've had personal experience of flashing dipper 10-12 times but of no avail and then I get onto my HIGH BEAM Mode.

Can't see any other alternative. At least w/ the High Beam I'm able to navigate a little bit of visibility.

Bottom Line, what I feel IMHO is that LEDs/HIDs or Halogen Projectors or for that matter normal Halogens - As long as people use Dipper & drive w/ Low Beams for oncoming traffic, it's not gonna be a problem.
Old 1st January 2021, 11:12   #49
BHPian

I have to frequently travel from Trichy to Namakkal on TN State Highway 25, which is a two lane winding road on the bank of river cauvery. With no lights, no lane markings and reflectors, it is a nightmare to drive in that route after nightfall. Often, the road disappears due to the blinding glare from the hi-beams of the oncoming vehicles. All those LED/HID lights and those 100W upgraded headlamps are a menace. Regulations are the only way to curtail this nuisance.
Old 1st January 2021, 11:35   #50
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if this should go here, but check this Instagram post by Autocar India's Renuka Kriplani, posted today. https://www.instagram.com/p/CJdsxqdg...d=cod92v76nz6l

I understand it is frustrating when people drive in the over taking lane and much below the speed limit, but to bully a Santro, with a mighty Defender, seemed a bit too much.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 11:58   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
I understand it is frustrating when people drive in the over taking lane and much below the speed limit, but to bully a Santro, with a mighty Defender, seemed a bit too much.
Going off topic. Hope the Santro person did not have the final laugh, when the defender broke down few kms ahead
WhiteKnight is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 12:00   #52
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

These super-bright lights are actually not meant to blind anyone, at all. We are forgetting the most important crux of this entire fiasco. Our countrymen don't know what a low beam is! We all know how dangerous it is to drive without powerful lights but do they even know that their cars (and especially two wheelers) have a low beam switch? I have super bright bi-LED projectors (and LED reflector high beam), yet I stick to low. Oncoming person will not dip even I keep flashing at them (especially taxis, Marutis and two wheelers). The light isn't the problem. It is the person who does not know what a low beam is.
vredesbyrd is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 12:21   #53
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Why can't there be a softer colour tone to the LED lights?

Why is every manufacturer so adamant on providing the "light saber blue" LED for headlamps when things are visible better in the yellow tones?
Tgo is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 13:06   #54
BHPian

I echo the opinions of the fellow BHPians who have mentioned that the majority of drivers in India just don't use the dipper at night when they spot an incoming traffic. This is the major issue more than anything.

I am of the opinion that the government should have made features such auto dimming headlamps mandatory rather than silly features like full time headlight ON in two wheelers and speed warning alerts in four wheelers.
Emvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 14:26   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not sure if this should go here, but check this Instagram post by Autocar India's Renuka Kriplani, posted today. https://www.instagram.com/p/CJdsxqdg...d=cod92v76nz6l

First it was her defending Seltos's poor performance in crash test, now this. I am loosing respect for her!
giri1.8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 14:45   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
ALL Mercedes Benzs, if you've never had Lasik eye surgery, try driving with one of these nasty cars in front of you. Except this Lasik will make you go blind.

Maruti Baleno & Ignis - another Lasik blinding surgery, curse them.
I second you on that, having had Lasik myself. I am actually considering getting roof mounted beams installed on my i10 even if it makes my car look like a bunny rabbit. I plan to use those lights to literally blind any idiot who does not know there exists a low beam in their car.

I literally travel 3kms to my bank here in Hosur. I get a bigger headache driving these 3kms than I get in the 10 hours I spend in the bank handling crores of rupees. Maybe the people here are blind, especially these Bolero / Ace pickup drivers.
jasjotbains is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 15:12   #57
BHPian

Quote:

The Santro drove really well, he used the right lane to overtake the Xcent and then after a safe distance indicated and moved back to the left lane. On the other hand the Defender was too close to the Santro and shouldn't have flashed so much, since the Santro was also overtaking a car at that time. Meanwhile a BMW 5 series overtakes everybody from the left with no indicators.
I believe that no one should forget the basics of driving, like maintaining a safe distance from the car in front or indicating while changing lanes.
Siva Prakash is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 15:40   #58
BHPian

I use glasses and even though the blinding led lights can be managed in night in case of a rain it become horrible to me especially if I am riding a bike. Eventhough I ride a dominar 400 which have attrociously bright headlights I'll be vigilant to put it in dim mode but most don't. People need more awareness on the importance of dimming since every vehicle releasing nowadays comes with LEDs and DRLs.
Old 1st January 2021, 16:40   #59

I have faced this problem many times as well especially with Baleno's, they flood my IRVM's like nothing else on the road! What are those headlights exactly? Absolutely irritating.
Then of course there are the Fortuners who think they are the king of the road and everyone else should drive into a ditch to give them way. They will flash their lights at you untill you don't run into the divider.
I was also fairly surprised when Activa's came fitted with LED's from the manufacturer. High beam and low are almost the same in terms of the discomfort it causes to oncoming traffic!
Another menace on the roads of my particular locality are squids on Honda Dio's who have changed their headlights to a bright white unit which is constantly flashing like a disco light and absolutely blinds oncoming traffic for a good 3 seconds at least which is very scary!
irajput is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 17:02   #60

Kudos to the one who started this thread. This thing has been on my mind for some time.
Cars with high beam and after market led headlamps have literally blinded me during night rides . The after market ones are the worse , they have a piercing effect on the eyes. I stick mostly to low beam, cause within city limits low beam is sufficient.
I personally feel that, use of car headlamps and proper beam should hould be taught to people. People who drive on high beam think that it's the only setting available. Just a simple toggle can make things easier for everyone.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks