Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2021, 08:34   #106
BHPian

Re: Trend of ever brighter headlights is blinding other road users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTrippin View Post
This is a serious problem and needs legislation.
As far as my knowledge goes, the specifications are laid out in black and white in the Central Motor Vehicles Rules in India. I think it is safe to presume, something similar exists in other countries as well. But then I never understood why they call pickup trucks and big trucks semis in the US. For me, logically, it should be the other way round.
RedTerrano is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 10:29   #107
RMN
BHPian

Isn't this a downward trend? As in a trend that is actually reducing? This decade has seen better lighting technologies come to mid to low budget cars and motorcycles. Projectors and now LEDs - they are designed keeping the on coming traffic in mind and also provide superior brightness. This has reduced the number on people wanting to mod their headlamps in anyway. 5-10 years back, this was a real problem but not anymore I believe. 10 years from now pretty much all the vehicles on road would be running well aligned LED lamps. Also more and more auto makers are implementing support tech such as auto beam and alignment. I dont think any time needs to be wasted legislating anything anymore.
Old 16th June 2021, 15:27   #108
BANNED

I have an easy solution for this - I use the mildest tinted glasses with anti-glare coating at night. The mild dark tint ensures that my headlights easily compensate for it and prevent the glare from opposite side blinding me. I have experienced blinding to the extent of instantaneous headache and pain behind the eye-socket on occasion when faced with super-bright-white lights on SUVs like Innovas and other modded cars.

I brief experiments I found brown-yellow tint to improve clarity of details even more than black or blue so planning to make them specifically for night driving.

Last edited by Ragul : 16th June 2021 at 15:35.
Old 16th June 2021, 16:08   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
I have experienced blinding to the extent of instantaneous headache and pain behind the eye-socket on occasion when faced with super-bright-white lights.
Signs of an underlying health condition, you may want to get that checked with a doctor - likely migraine.
Kosfactor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 17:30   #110
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Signs of an underlying health condition, you may want to get that checked with a doctor - likely migraine.
I doubt it. I rarely get headaches in a year. Besides this one instance was a really super bright killer light - I don't think a normal human will be immune to some sort of reaction in the body.
Old 16th June 2021, 17:33   #111

Trend of ever brighter headlights.
I was posted at Chandigarh way back in 2001-04, those days HID headlights were in vogue. They were quite menacing more so with no central dividers on state highways. One of the ways to make the oncoming driver to dip his lights was to flash own lights at full beam once or twice. In quite a few cases the oncomers remembered and dipped so no harm done. For the few rogues who did not dip I used to stay dipped and slowed down so that at least HE could avoid any mishap. Never charged at the oncomer with my high beam.
Another piece of info. Some lady had filed a case in the Punjab and Haryana High Court at Chandigarh to make auto dipping devices mandatory in all vehicles. Once in a while the local papers carried news of the hearings but I don't know what happened to the case once I moved out.
nalinkishore is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 09:54   #112
BHPian

This will be a much more serious concern given the increase in number of vehicles.

I personally face this problem on day to day basis ,though thanks to the curfew, the night-driving has decreased of late.

But driving a low GC City makes me handicapped especially in the nights where the opposite vehicles drive in hi-beams even in the city, which is not just ridiculous but also dangerous.
Old 17th June 2021, 10:59   #113
Senior - BHPian

Are there any devices/wearables (good quality) that help in night time driving by reducing the glare.
There used to be a yellow colored wrap around goggle permanently stored in our Omni which was made for this very purpose but my dad hated wearing it and just avoided night time driving altogether.
Old 17th June 2021, 11:19   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Are there any devices/wearables (good quality) that help in night time driving by reducing the glare.
There used to be a yellow colored wrap around goggle permanently stored in our Omni which was made for this very purpose but my dad hated wearing it and just avoided night time driving altogether.
Best thing to do is clean the windshield as good as you can, if its an old vehicle either replace the windshield if its too scratched up or use a good glass cleaner inside out. Night driving glasses are useless, best avoid them.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 11:47   #115
BHPian

As far as I’ve seen; the intensity is not a problem. The problem is the person behind the wheel.
No offence to any drivers out there but this is what I have noticed. The newer but cheaper cars like Ignis, Baleno, Creta, etc are the ones who just upgraded their car which used to have regular halogen lights.
I don’t know if I am right but they tend to show off their white bright LEDs with other plebeian road users.
Well, I, myself have changed my Brio’s light to LEDs but I drive responsibly.
I must say LEDs light up road ahead like nothing else, many drivers tend to misuse it. Action should be taken against these drivers.
And for the roads which are not lit very well, I prefer reflectors on the dividers rather than street lights.
Vasanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 11:53   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Best thing to do is clean the windshield as good as you can, if its an old vehicle either replace the windshield if its too scratched up or use a good glass cleaner inside out. Night driving glasses are useless, best avoid them.
Indeed, I have been doing that and even changed the glasses on my specs which had developed scratches, it definitely helped to an extent. I was curious if there was anything else apart from yellow glasses.
Old 17th June 2021, 16:06   #117
Team-BHP Support

Re: OEM LED/HID headlights - Do they cause issues to other motorists?

Continue discussing the topic here.
Old 17th June 2021, 18:45   #118
BHPian

I remember in the age of Ambassadors and Premiers many vehicles had the top half of their headlights painted black.
Was that the law back then?
Old 17th June 2021, 19:33   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Sammy View Post
I remember in the age of Ambassadors and Premiers many vehicles had the top half of their headlights painted black.
Was that the law back then?
The current regulations in India require a forward tilt of the headlamp beam built into the assembly, depending on the category of vehicle you can see this stamped on top of the headlamp assembly. You will see a picture of low beam with something like 1.3 or 1.5 written there.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 20:30   #120
BHPian

Some drivers do stare into oncoming headlights. I do that sometimes trying to figure out if oncoming car had high beams on. Indian drivers (even in the US) have a serious problem with high beam discipline.

A dirty windshield definitely makes this worse. It will diffuse any light and affect your ability to see through the windshield.

Due to all the elevation changes here in Pittsburgh, sometimes even low beams shine right in your eyes depending on how the car is positioned on an incline.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks