Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: How do you drive with HU Integrated Navigation?
Refer to the HU screen for a visual map often? 102 44.16%
Depend on verbal guidance solely with HU Screen check only when parked? 14 6.06%
Never drive alone and get another person to navigate. 2 0.87%
Mix everything on a need to need basis. 113 48.92%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2022, 22:37   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: How do you take navigation directions while driving?

I note down the distance to be covered before the next turn and also note the trip meter reading at that point. After that the trip meter becomes the main reference and I return to viewing the Maps screen only a few hundred metres prior to the approaching turn.

Audio prompts are usually turned off.

And I drive much slower on unfamiliar routes so that I can figure out the correct turn, or stop safely in case a suggested road is closed or no-entry.
Old 7th March 2022, 09:23   #47
Senior - BHPian

Buying a few “Pulse” toffees/ candies enroute helps a lot. My way of navigation is mix of all options.

Just completed a 2000km long work related trip around North India. I used Google Maps for more than 95% journey. Used NaviMaps for sometime but did not want to take chances. NaviMaps also displays speed limits so I like using it at times.

Step 1: I check the detailed route in my phone prior to starting the journey. I check out the alternative routes and then I try to ask someone about the best route who frequents that destination station (usually a colleague who works at that station). If I dont find such contact, I rely on Google Maps.

Step 2: Use the same route in Apple CarPlay using Google Maps (preferred) or Android Auto (alternative).

Step 3: Stop and evaluate before every major turn. Yesterday, GMaps tried to take me from within a major city rather than the smooth, wide and empty 6 lane bypass I was driving on after paying the tolls.

Step 4: If in doubt or confusion, visit a local confectionary shop. Buy a few candies or a small chocolate/ chips (lays). Engage in conversation regarding route and tarmac conditions (broken roads). Do mention that driving 15-25km extra is not a problem if roads are better. It usually guarantees that the recommendation will work out to be worth the stop.

I rely on audio announcements and occasionally look the screen for a second or two when the road ahead is empty and no intersection approaching.

Last edited by PaddleShifter : 7th March 2022 at 09:24.
Old 8th September 2022, 15:17   #48

Informative thread, and this helps me realize my primary challenge. I use my phone for navigation for all drives across India [currently only South India, North is a dream for now ].

Issue is, in XUV 500 2018 Model, the display does not support Airplay. I cannot connect my iphone and view the map. So if I use the iphone, i will have to hold it one hand and drive in the other and its bad practice, while driving thru towns, or turns to take eyes off the road.

So the question to this forum ....Have you come across any Heads Up display, which connected [wireless or wired] can just replicate what is on my phone screen. So that I can still use Google maps and the display is easier to observe while driving? Either bluetooth enabled or WIFI.

Is there any other option, short of investing in a Garmin or Tom Tom? Looking forward to your suggestions

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks