Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: How do you drive with HU Integrated Navigation?
Refer to the HU screen for a visual map often? 102 44.16%
Depend on verbal guidance solely with HU Screen check only when parked? 14 6.06%
Never drive alone and get another person to navigate. 2 0.87%
Mix everything on a need to need basis. 113 48.92%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2021, 14:59   #1
BHPian

How do you take navigation directions while driving?

It is bound to happen that you are in a unknown part of the country relaying on your Integrated Navigation/Google Maps via Android Auto/Etc to get you where you want to go but in doing so referring again and again to the on screen navigation route/tips and in doing so shifting your eyes from the road to the screen in the middle of the car dash resulting in disproportionate speed slowdown via engine/normal braking.

Such an instant got a car "Ignis" bashed from the back in front of my very eyes with the solo guy getting his nose broken & cut open. He should thank the gods that the car that hit him was a Mahindra Pickup and not a truck.

So the question remains how do you drive in such situations & what is the correct way. I would think the best way would be to depend solely on audio navigation with only referring to the HU screen when parked on the road side.

Last edited by ajaiD : 28th February 2021 at 15:06.
ajaiD is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 16:44   #2
BHPian

re: How do you take navigation directions while driving?

I have this habit of checking my RVM as well as ORVMs on a regular basis, especially when I am on the highways. That way I paint a mental picture of who is where behind me and get a good estimate on who is approaching me and from which side.

I do mainly rely on audio instructions, but do not feel checking the navigator visually once a while is unsafe or an overhead.
RedTerrano is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 08:50   #3
BHPian

Audio-only navigation might be safer, but it is harder to follow and can be less accurate. The dangers of GPS distraction while driving are real. There is no point in buying a 5-star safety car if you're eyes aren't going to be on the road.

Ideally, the safest way is to focus 100% on your driving by getting a reliable co-passenger to do the navigation work. If you're a lone traveller (), the safest way is to simply park your car and ask for directions as you go. If you prefer not to deal with strangers, park your car, open up your GMaps and try to study your route using names of shops along the way, noting vital turns or dividing the route into smaller sections before heading off.
lonetraveller89 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 09:24   #4
BHPian

Of course, it is best for the driver to mind only his business (driving) whenever possible and depute the navigation and other chores to the person who calls the shotgun, when not alone!

If driving alone it is best to take time to study the route and have a coarse mental map and get audio inputs for turn-by turn navigation. If still needs to check the map, on highways we can have a quick glance once confirming that there is enough gap between your vehicle and the surrounding. And in cities, use the traffic signal to re-assess and confirm the route and also rely on the boards.
Old 3rd March 2021, 08:20   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: How do you take navigation directions while driving?

My primary drive is an older car with no Android Auto. My smartphone is parked in the cupholder with the screen tilted towards me. Works perfectly. I rely on audio instructions, with a fleeting glance or two at the phone screen before major junctions.

The Ignis example is an extreme one, frankly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
I have this habit of checking my RVM as well as ORVMs on a regular basis, especially when I am on the highways. That way I paint a mental picture of who is where behind me and get a good estimate on who is approaching me and from which side.
the sign of an excellent driver. I also always know the "environment" around my car.
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 08:41   #6
Team-BHP Support

Navigation tools are visual but I feel the key is to use it as an invisible presence (whether it is a mounted smart phone, or Android Auto/Apple Carplay display on the head unit). Once you develop the habit of managing it with a glance (for e.g.; like how you look through other MID readings) it is quite easy and non-disruptive while driving.
vb-saan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 10:35   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't use audio instructions or any virtual assistants. Whenever needed, I stop by the side and search the maps before moving on.

I depend on Google Maps when necessary but I don't trust it fully.

That said, I take a look at the map once in a while only and remember the next set of instructions so that I don't have to keep glancing at the screen. If the next turn is 20 kms away, then note the odo and keep driving for the next 18 kms without looking at the map.

If there's a passenger whose navigation skills I trust, I ask them to check the map screen and keep me posted.

I ask local folks when in doubt.

After frequenting a route a couple of times, I let go of the maps as I know the roads. They come handy if I need to know road traffic situation.

Last edited by ashis89 : 3rd March 2021 at 10:45.
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 14:00   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

I have multiple cars with pretty high end build in navigation systems. Never ever use them. I have a TomTom, including traffic information and speed camera service. It comes with me, to whatever car I happen to be driving.

I used it always, I place it in the left lower corner of the window (my cars are all left hand drive). That way I can see it easily, I don’t need to look down. None of the built in systems comes close to what my TomTom can do, anywhere over Europe and the USA (I take it with me, when I go on business to the USA and rent a car)

I also, in all my cars, have detailled paper maps. I keep a huge collection of maps of maps of all countries/areas where we have been. Although over time they might get a bit outdated, a good map can’t be beat for overview over a larger area.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 14:06   #9
Senior - BHPian

I don't like using audio prompts in navigation but if you miss a turn, google quitely reroutes and you don't even realize you are going the wrong way. Within the city, it might not be significant but on highways, the new route could end up being extremely long and/or bad. So I have started keeping the audio on for highway drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
If there's a passenger whose navigation skills I trust, I ask them to check the map screen and keep me posted.
This is easier said than done. I have had a friend tell me he doesn't know where to go when we approached a roundabout since he couldn't understand what the map was telling
Old 4th March 2021, 09:31   #10
BHPian

Unable to vote yet.

I use HUD or mobile screen for navigation as audio isn't the most accurate. For safety reasons, will get glimpses only and try to review the route well before starting the trip to have a mental picture of the route.
WizSatish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 10:09   #11
BHPian

I rely on the verbal guidance of the Google Maps. Have glanced at the HU screen 3-4 times when I was at any major junction or a roundabout in which navigation could not confirm if it is a 2nd or a 3rd left.
Old 4th March 2021, 10:14   #12
BHPian

Not able to vote, but I use the Apple car play integrated with the infotainment system for navigation. I use Google Maps, Apple Maps is not yet there, even though it is considered as one of the most secured ones (from privacy pov, as it doesn't track you how Google maps do)
Old 4th March 2021, 10:44   #13
BHPian

I use Google Maps even for daily drives, only to check for traffic congestions. For unknown destinations, I use navigation, but prefer a judicious check with on-road guidance from fellow drivers (especially public transport) and shops.

Previously I used this device
https://www.amazon.in/CORASS-Steerin...=1&ext_vrnc=hi

It is simple, hassle-free, and you do not need to shift your line of sight.

Now I have an integrated HU with a bigger screen and use Android Auto based Google Map. Initially, I had some issues with shifting the line of sight for navigation but now am used to it. The bigger screen and its high position obviously helps.

However, the audio instructions are very jarring and act more as a distraction (and at times scare, imagine driving all alone and suddenly you hear an unknown voice in your car!) and I keep it turned off. The fact that it sounds over the audio playing is another irritation.

I usually check the next few turns at some junction and then follow the mental map. A cursory glance to confirm I am on the right track suffices. I try to memorize the routes I take (so that I can retrace my route later) and to do that I need to have all attention on the road to gather crucial visual clues.

P.S. a fellow passenger to navigate proved disastrous in my case when I tried it with my wife!

First incident, I gave her a mobile map and asked her to navigate; then started a barrage of academic and GK questions (What does blue indicate? How do I know which way is North East ?). I quit in 5 minutes!

Last edited by amitayu : 4th March 2021 at 10:45.
amitayu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 10:50   #14
Team-BHP Support

I voted for the last option a mix since I use the navigation on the bike and there, either it is the voice instruction over bluetooth mostly, longer rides I fix the mobile holder for visual guidance. For vehicles with map connectivity on the head unit, I prefer that over any other. In rare cases, I go with others looking at maps, but it is as effective as just the audio especially while taking more complex routes.
Old 4th March 2021, 10:53   #15
BHPian

Normally I study the route before leaving. So while driving,

1. if going for first time and no navigator (my wife ), prefer to use both inbuilt nav + gmap on phone + "ask that guy"

2. first time, with navigator, I look on inbuilt nav + input from navigator (from gmap or "ask that guy")

3. for somewhat known places (been there a year or 10 back); inbuilt nav + gmap guidence

4. for "been there couple of times but turns/junction/exit confuse me" places inbuilt nav/gmap's voice guidance + some glance at screen at times

5. well known places, normally no guidance

Using inbuilt map only on my current car and pretty impressed with it. But still rely on gmap for critical times or in normal time to gauge traffic; and better ask a person if situation calls for it - because at times gmap would guide you to nowhere. Mix of everything it is for me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks