Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2021, 09:47   #61
BHPian

Re: Ways to avoid traffic challans

How traffic cameras issue e-challans

Quote:
Kapil Bardeja, CEO, co-founder, Vehant Technologies, a surveillance solutions company, says, “The cameras record traffic violations, and click photos every time a vehicle breaks rules and then it sends the data – vehicle number and type of violation – to the control centre. Along with the photo, these cameras also capture a short video as proof. Date, time and camera number is encrypted in the image itself so even authorities cannot tamper with it. The encrypted image goes from the local server to the central server (police control room). Then the data is sent VAHAN (the national vehicle registry database of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways). Then a message is sent to the phone number which is registered with the vehicle.”

For parking violations, no-parking zones are fed into the system. A time limit is also set up and if a vehicle is in the zone beyond that time, then a violation is registered.

Manish Agarwal, Joint Commissioner of Police, Traffic, Delhi Police, says, “We are bringing several provisions for non-payment cases. We are in discussion with insurance companies where if a vehicle has a certain number of pending challans then that amount can be added to the insurance.”

Old 16th August 2021, 16:05   #62
BHPian

Question for other Radarbot users - does the auto launch through Bluetooth work smoothly? Mine worked fine till a recent app app update. Have tried everything but to no avail for getting it working again.
Old 16th August 2021, 16:18   #63
BHPian

Here in Assam, the Traffic department has got hold of new Speed camera equipped Maruti Ertiga Interceptors and are all enthusiastic about it.
On our newly constructed By-Pass roads and 4 lane divided Highways, they have installed all sorts of random signages of 40 or 20 kmph, some with valid reasons (Like Schools or Hospitals) and some for absolutely no reason at all.

They put out a challan of Rs 2000 for over-speeding on a By-Pass road, which should have a atleast a upper speed limit of 80 kmph and a lower speed limit of 40 kmph.

This has been a big time nuisance in Assam now.
Now I can feel exactly why Jeremy Clarkson use to rant so much on speed cameras.
Very annoying as well as Dangerous cause people tend to brake aggressively to slow down before the cameras.

Stretch of Highway in Assam where these speed cameras are necessary is on Highway stretch through the Kaziranga National Park.

Last edited by dr_TJ : 16th August 2021 at 16:22. Reason: Typo
dr_TJ is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 13:24   #64

Any good app to receive alerts for Speed Cams in Hyderabad? The speed limits are 30-40KMPH and the worst part you cant notice the boards while you are driving as they are not visible clearly. Tried Radarbot & Radar Detector but not very successful.
Old 10th December 2021, 15:01   #65
BHPian

My cousin has invented a very jugaad idea to save himself from tickets for signal line crossing. He has used a garland on his number plate which does not show his number fully.
Old 10th December 2021, 15:14   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronford View Post
My cousin has invented a very jugaad idea to save himself from tickets for signal line crossing. He has used a garland on his number plate which does not show his number fully.
Or, he could stop the car just before the stop line at the signal. How hard is that? Instead of spending money on garlands.
Gannu_1 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 15:17   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Or, he could stop the car just before the stop line at the signal. How hard is that? Instead of spending money on garlands.
It's not even a car. It's a RE and he can also be fined for other things like not wearing a helmet and hence he has done that.

Tried imparting sense but then it was no use.
Old 10th December 2021, 15:38   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronford View Post
It's not even a car. It's a RE and he can also be fined for other things like not wearing a helmet and hence he has done that.
Another fine example of the reason why 2-wheelers in Pune are so infamous.
IamNikhil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 12:59   #69
BHPian

Read some earlier posts on Radar Bot on this thread,

Has anyone tried to use Radar Bot on highways ? I found it quite useful while driving from Jaipur to Delhi yesterday... the Speed check camera locations seemed to be quite accurate.

How has been the experience of other Team BHP'ians while using this ?
Asking b'coz I plan to drive from Delhi to Mumbai later this month.

Cheers,
Sid
Old 1st April 2022, 08:41   #70
BHPian

If there is a perception that govt is hell bent on squeezing the last rupee out of drivers' wallet that is a wrong perception.

Challans are supposed to be a deterrent. I believe the amounts should be so huge that erring drivers feel the pinch strongly and understand the consequences the next time they are close to violating the rules.

The scenario of a world of no or lax challans would be horrendous in terms of lives lost, cost of medical infrastructure used, and mental agony of people involved.

The problem used to be random application of challan. However in todays world of automatic challaning things are sort of improving. The only thing that will bring about effective change is multifold increase in fine amoumt.
Old 1st April 2022, 09:10   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksakotai View Post
If there is a perception that govt is hell bent on squeezing the last rupee out of drivers' wallet that is a wrong perception.

Challans are supposed to be a deterrent. I believe the amounts should be so huge that erring drivers feel the pinch strongly and understand the consequences the next time they are close to violating the rules.
Sorry, beg to differ. It is same like taxes. Once the government tastes some, they won't let it go. Not just in India, it is the same world over. Not talking about other challans, but speed fines are just a big revenue stream. Not for nothing they are called as speed traps. No posted speed limits, no warnings of speed cam, placing the speed traps in places that don't really pose danger (wide open roads, downhill), keeping the limit lower than what is required, using vague corporation/municipality/panchayat limits to enforce speed limits, sudden and huge difference in speed (80->30km/h, 100->50km/h), If a place really needs lower speed limits, instead of speed traps they have proper traffic calming system in place.
DicKy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st April 2022, 09:10   #72
BHPian

The challan system is supposed to improve traffic and deter rule-breakers, no?

Then why is it that I see traffic discipline and adherence to rules becoming even worse?

People used to follow rules when traffic cops used to stop them on the spot for violations.

Nowadays with the MTP system, it's only middle-class private vehicle owners who are suffering with unfair fines. 2-wheelers, rickshaws, cabbies get away with damn near anything they want and nobody stops them.
Old 1st April 2022, 09:32   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post

This one I am installing right away.

EDIT: Installed the app and updated all such points in and around Dehradun.

At Team-BHP, we are such a strong community, that even if 5% of all the BHPians decide to update only 2 such locations per month, that will cover around 1 llac such locations pan India, in just a year.
I think the speed traps are mobile, so the data you gather would be redundant.
Old 1st April 2022, 10:13   #74
BANNED

While I understand the frustration of most as even I used to be a pedal to the floor guy. I used to memorize every single speed camera and had contributed heavily for Waze in its initial period. But after driving for 2 decades in India and after travelling in access controlled expressways abroad, I have to admit the speed limits in India are acceptable. You can't drive at speeds over 40 km/hr in most cities abroad. Strangely none of us have a problem obeying such limits when abroad but make a ruckus when we are in India. How many of you drive under speed limits on Pune-Mumbai expressway and similar ones in India?

We want rules to be favorable for us and go up in arms when others break the laws! I have been fined 4 times over these years, but I would have broken the speed limits at least a thousand times for sure. Even now I do drive at speeds above limit, when I find an open stretch. Only rule I follow fully is signals. I'm ready to part with money for over speeding. Am I justified, no way! There are two types of law breakers, the ones who get caught and those who don't. We have no moral right to crib about the pathetic situation in our country unless we are all following rules.
The Rationalist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2022, 10:55   #75
k0p
BHPian

Hyderabad has started using LED boards that show your speed in some areas. There is a new spot over the suspension bridge, where the fines haven't started yet, and the speed limit goes from 40 to 20 and back to 35/40. No matter how much I try, coming down to 20 on such a big road with tailgating traffic is nearly impossible. The speed limits over flyovers with the rumble strips along the curves really are a joke. They do more to increase your commute time than reduce it.

Hyderabad Traffic Police is a bit funny at times though, with the challan discount they had in March and a recent crackdown on tinted windows which was never there before. A very warm welcome to our predicted 50-degree summer this year!
k0p is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks