Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2022, 11:58   #76

Re: Ways to avoid traffic challans

Team,

Now its summer and i am using external sunshades for my two cars, how's the chance of challan for that and what are the up and downs of it.How to handle cops here, is it only by experience and negotiating skills?

Regards/Vinay
Old 1st April 2022, 12:05   #77
BHPian

Here's a rule I would propose to ease things down for us, lawyers on the forum might be of help via a PIL (maybe) or we can collectively pitch this to the central government: "The government will create a country-wide map of roads with all speed limits. Any road that does not have the speed limit uploaded cannot be fined. The government can charge map service providers like Google maps and all car manufacturers can incorporate the same in their navigation systems by paying a fee. This service will also have traffic signals and the signal can't turn red from green before yellow for 3/5 seconds."
rajk15 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st April 2022, 12:59   #78
BHPian

Has anyone figured out how to automate launching Radarbot with iPhone Shortcuts (triggered by Carplay/Car Bluetooth)? Haven't been able to do so ever since Radarbot released Carplay for their premium subscribers.
Old 1st April 2022, 13:14   #79

Is there a known error margin for speeding cameras? I vaguely remember in the US some at places a 10% violation was condoned due to some device error margins.

I recently got an automated challan for driving at 106 on a 100kmph stretch. I never drive above speed limit, but while driving at 100kmph I may not be able to accurately stay at exact 100kmph unless using cruise control.

A lesson learnt - now i drive at 90kmph on a 100kmph highway...will give away 10kmph rather than hard earned money
CoolFamilyGuy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2022, 14:25   #80
BHPian

The most dangerous practice to you and others is the crazy urge to beat the light as it turns red. Quite a few deaths, injuries happen because of this. I always slow down as soon as light turns yellow. No matter how crazy the guy behind gets.

Most automatic cameras catch you even if you are moving while the light turns yellow.

IMHO best is not accelarate when you see a traffic light even if it is green.
Old 1st April 2022, 15:30   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniket Verma View Post
Speed Trap reporting feature was removed within 15 days of introduction, after various state Traffic Police, reported dip in revenue due to less speeding violation. This also illustrated that the feature was allowing people to drive more sensibly.

I often wonder about the purpose of speed limits in India? Is it there to generate the revenue for the state or to enforce safe road habits?
The Purpose of law enforcement in India is to generate revenue and harass, who cares about road safety
nitin_knw is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st April 2022, 15:42   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolFamilyGuy View Post
A lesson learnt - now i drive at 90kmph on a 100kmph highway...will give away 10kmph rather than hard earned money
I was fined too for driving at 77kmph while the speed limit was 70kmph. I agree that speed margins should be considered. However, doesn't seem like for now.
Old 1st April 2022, 16:02   #83
BHPian

I am adding the state-wise eChallan search and payment links here. It will be prudent to check for each state when you purchase a used car.

KL :https://mvd.kerala.gov.in/en/fine-re...surveillance-0

TN: https://eservices.tnpolice.gov.in/CCTNSNICSDC/ePAYMENT
https://echallan.parivahan.gov.in/index/accused-challan

MH: https://mahatrafficechallan.gov.in/p...7f28c93baf1604

Bangalore City: https://btp.gov.in/Default.aspx

GJ: https://echallanpayment.gujarat.gov....AccusedChallan

AP: https://apechallan.org/

Paytm app has support for a few of the states - Telengana, Andhra, Bangalore, Chennai, Faridabad, Maharashtra

Please add other states' specific sites to this thread.
Romins is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2022, 00:37   #84

The best way to avoid challan in bangalore is to drive during evening.I found,in my experience, that time to be least challan prone . I have been challaned only twice till date. One very big issue which I observed is getting wrong challans from places where you have never been, Shantinagara junction being one such notorious junction. It seems when cameras become old they tend to capture blurred image and in turn wrong persons get Automated Challan. Now a days the Traffic police website doesn't shows any image evidence(for most cases) which is mandatory for automated Challan.
Old 3rd April 2022, 03:49   #85
BHPian

I generally use Radarbot during long trips and have found it mostly accurate in north India. However, it did not work in Bhubaneswar. Initially, I also used the App during local usage in Delhi NCR and found it very useful and to an extent got used to the speed limits across various stretches which is 50-70 Kmph and I maintain that, even on my Abarth Punto.

The advantage of driving at these speed limits has helped me ensure that there is not a single challan till date and hard earned money is not getting wasted. Most importantly, I am getting very good mileage figures even within the city which were unimaginable earlier. Needless to mention, some limits are absurd and ridiculously difficult to maintain in spite of best efforts, which are based on no application of mind.
jbpanda is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2022, 12:55   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by denzdm View Post
I was fined too for driving at 77kmph while the speed limit was 70kmph. I agree that speed margins should be considered. However, doesn't seem like for now.
Speedometers generally show a higher speed than your true GPS speed. This I believe, is done to obviate the inadvertent travel slightly above speed limits. In my cars it over read/s by about 5%.
In your case it was 10% just bad luck.
Old 4th April 2022, 11:18   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
Mixed feelings with the fines. Living in Chennai, Annanagar where the traffic cams ensure that stop line violations ensure a challan hitting the mobile quickly, I am seeing better discipline on the roads. Having said that I am not sure why wrong side driving is not such a big issue and most people are happy riding on the wrong side as they please even if it be a flyover imperiling themselves and others on the road.

Fines should be high enough to be a deterrent and hopefully the roads will get a little more safer for all.
clementw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 13:20   #88
BHPian

All the points in the original post are quite relevant but Keeping the Calm on is a very very big challenge specially driving in Delhi NCR. You honk/Flash dipper at someone, 85% of the times their ego gets hurt and they start going in a race. Never have I understood the logic of being so intolerant and just revving it up for fun.

Overall, quite an informative post!
Old 12th April 2022, 15:07   #89
BHPian

In Calcutta we have had automated challan systems for quite a few years now. I have been at the receiving end multiple times in the last 4-5 years (typically when a new cam has come up on a stretch that was cam-free earlier). The way it works is I immediately get an sms stating the nature of the violation along with a link to the photo of my car at that point (not a video) and a payment link to the Traffic Police website. You can see the details of all outstanding challans on that link as well. Earlier the fine for overspeeding was 300 bucks but now it is 1000 for the first offence and 2000 for subsequent offences, although for the life of me I don't know how they define the word "subsequent". So the fine does bite and I try to stay below the speed limit at all times, even though it is frustrating on many stretches. However, since the challan system is almost entirely automatic (there are still some stretches that have cops standing with speed guns), I wonder what happens to emergency vehicles - I have never seen a single one adhering to the speed limit. Now the police have come up with a new system that also records horns and this is integrated with the automatic challan system - and at least two BHPians here have been at the receiving end of a noise pollution challan recently. Kind of unfair considering the traffic conditions we have to face in the city.

One good thing though about the traffic police in Calcutta, is that they usually don't harass four wheelers unnecessarily (although they do harass two wheelers quite a bit). Most of the times that I have been stopped in my car, it was either to check for DUI or to check the PUC and I was sent on my way as soon as the check was done. Also the police here do not issue a challan if you cross a signal on a yellow. I prefer to do that rather than get rear ended.

As technology progresses, I think the possibility of avoiding a challan will decrease - that is just the nature of the beast. Considering the way Calcutta traffic police have ramped up tech in recent years, it has become harder to avoid challans and that has helped on at least some roads and flyovers that used to see a lot of rash driving earlier. I really don't mind as long as the police are working towards safer roads and not filling their pockets. So far that has mostly been the case in Cal, and I hope that continues in future as well.
Neversaygbye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 16:18   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushagra452 View Post
I recently got an e-challan from the Delhi Traffic Police for improper parking. I had pulled by the side of the road to attend to a mobile call. It didn't take the cop long to take a snap of my car and send a 500 bucks e-challan!

Surprisingly there is no way to challenge this absurd challan by the traffic police. I have 60 days to pay the 500 bucks.
which area ? This is really absurd.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks