Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2021, 09:29   #196
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Have you ever been treated negatively because of your car / bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselTurbo View Post
This incident to this day enrages me.
Yeah I can understand, it's a sour experience to have especially during one's teenage years. But you should let it go, not worth getting worked up over small-minded, status-driven folk. Anyone who wants to be friends with you only because of what you own/drive should be kept at arm's length and don't waste any emotion at all on them. Certainly not years later.

A friend of mine used to come to school on his dad's scooter. For most of us, that was a cause for envy- here was a 17-year old who had access to a bike (and this was in the 90s)! But apparently (and this I found out more than a decade later when we met for a drink), he used to get teased by a bunch of rich brats who all came in chauffeur-driven cars.

The funny part is by that time when he told me this, his family business was flourishing, and he had a merc, a jag and a harley! (He didn't have enough time to enjoy them though, and ended up selling the bike after hardly using it!) But the point is that even though he had gone well past that stage, he was still giving too much emotional importance to something that really shouldn't matter, except sadly in a status-driven society like ours. We can choose to just not play that game.

Last edited by am1m : 24th May 2021 at 09:33.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 11:11   #197
BHPian

So glad to have bumped into this thread. Kinda feels good to know I wasn't the only one.

I've been judged six ways to sunday because of vehicles I drove.

Notable incidents-
1. Met my friend who is in the transportation business in a Force ASC where I was picking up my Force cruiser cargo after it's service (I love to look after maintenance of my vehicles, even cargo, myself). We decided to have lunch together, since we both loved the buffet spread at a very nice hotel we decided to go in the Force cruiser as his vehicle (also a yellow board Force Traveller) would not come out anytime soon. We were denied entry, even though we were kinda regulars at the place. I thought it was fair as it was an upscale place and we were in a yellow board vehicle, but hey why stop someone if they can afford to eat at your establishment because of their choice of transportation ? But I still visit the place,because somewhere in my mind I feel their actions were justified.

2. At the Mahindra ASC, especially at the billing counter, because apparently they don't like Bolero camper gold customers as much as swanky XUV 500 and Scorpio customers. Once they delivered the vehicle after a paid service, billed me for vehicle washing and delivered my vehicle unwashed and with splatter marks after one of their test drives. Then the SA (after the incident, I did befriend him, but that's a story for another thread) had the audacity to tell me that since it's used for commercial purposes, it'll get dirty again so there's no point in washing. I just scoffed and asked why do you eat food if it's just gonna leave you after sometime. Shut him right up and got the washing charges removed from the bill in record time. I also sent a scathing email to Mahindra before I left the premises. That was the last time the bolero went to the ASC.

3. At this very swanky mall that just opened in Kochi sometime in 2011. I had just gone in to check it out in my Wagon R. The mall had a lot of free space in the front parking, was still advised to park in the multi storey parking lot behind the mall by the security guard. Next weekend I take my cousins in their Prado, the security guard let us park bang in front of the mall !
kraken is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 12:25   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraken View Post

3. At this very swanky mall that just opened in Kochi sometime in 2011. I had just gone in to check it out in my Wagon R. The mall had a lot of free space in the front parking, was still advised to park in the multi storey parking lot behind the mall by the security guard. Next weekend I take my cousins in their Prado, the security guard let us park bang in front of the mall !
Where I live (PRC), it is a common practice in 5 star hotels. If you come in a swanky super car you will get to park right in front of the Main lobby. If you come in a Passat, E class or an A6 which are all "dime a dozen" in this place, you will be directed towards the underground parking lot. It is not about discrimination. It is their way of using a customer's super car as a marketing prop. A building with a row of parking cars in the front attracts more customers. It has really nothing to do with discrimination.
Theyota is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 14:55   #199
BHPian

Every time I go out while there is a restriction due to COVID-19, I get stopped more at the police check posts to enquire where I am going if I am driving a small car. I have also noticed them ignoring other bigger cars most of the time and how people out on their bikes are stopped unconditionally!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks