Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2021, 21:44   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Have you ever been treated negatively because of your car / bike?

Ah! The multiple times I've had fun with a variety of rides and the doormen & valets' perception of the vehicle, not the person.

Just one story for now. So in January this year, I was visiting Jaipur, and booked into a high-end hotel there. Parked my car under the porch, because we were going to go out soon after checking in and dumping the luggage in our room. The valets and doormen insisted I leave the key with them, but I asked them specifically not to enter the car.

15 minutes later, we came down, and the car had been re-parked in the basement. The Merc ahead of my car was still there. The driver who brought up the car was wearing a cloth mask, with the windows all rolled up, wearing no gloves, and no sanitizer on him.

Ended up summoning the manager and accusing his establishment of being a Covid-19 super-spreader by not following protocol, and that I would report him to the authorities. Finally, took pity on the guy when he agreed that I could keep the car keys as well as park anywhere, as long as I wasn't obstructing anyone.

Did a full wipe-down of the car interiors myself with the sanitizer we were carrying (actually, enough to wipe down a few dozen cars), right in front of the hotel people. They offered to help, but I was in any case terrified of viral contamination from them, and did it myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hridaygandhi View Post
When I am in the X1, most people do.
That's odd. I find many of the more expensive cars are boorishly on high-beams all the time. If they aren't, they probably have automatic headlight dipping systems. And if I find a Merc / Bimmer dazzling me, I happily dazzle back.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 15th May 2021 at 21:53.
SS-Traveller is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 13:11   #92
BHPian

Re: Have you ever been treated negatively because of your car / bike?

Once when me and my dad went to a two wheeler showroom to have a look at Gixxer SF250. We arrived at the showroom on a 2013 Ray Z(scooter) , which is almost 7 years old. We were told to wait for the sales associate to come, we did for 15 minutes. They were busy chatting and weren't interested in talking to us. We left the showroom with disappointment. Maybe they thought we weren't capable of spending 2L on a bike, based on our appearances too (We were in shorts and Tshirts)
A few days later, we went to the same showroom in a car. Then they have quickly responded to our queries and offered test ride too.
It happened in many instances. Scooter vs Car. We have come across many such situations where we given lesser priority because of our vehicles. Don't know when will we get equally valued irrespective of the type of ride
Thatautoguy46 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 13:20   #93
Senior - BHPian

Car people who are feeling discriminated, should live life as a bike rider in India on an economy bike.

Forget entrance treatment, people dont care about the lives of 2-wheel riders.

If a car is overtaking another car and they see a bike guy coming from the other side, a lot of people just ignore the rider and proceed with the overtake!
2000rpm is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 13:24   #94
Senior - BHPian

Best examples of this can be found at the entrance or reception of a star hotel.

I remember going for a wedding reception at the Taj in my dad's old Swift. There were a bunch of valet drivers at the reception and they told me that I can either park it myself in adjoining parking lot or they can since the parking lot is full. I let them park it. A friend had come in his XUV with some bling alloys after me, and we left the reception hall together. Not so surprisingly, his car was parked within the parking area close to the reception and I had to wait a good 10 minutes for my car to be taken from the adjoining parking lot and brought to me, and that too, they made me stand at the exit gate and not at the reception.

I could easily feel the lack of hospitality when I fist entered there in this car.

Last edited by tharian : 17th May 2021 at 13:26.
tharian is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 13:30   #95
BANNED

Incident:

Dealer Name: Volkswagen Gurgaon
Place: Gurgaon
When? 12th January 2016

Why was I there?
Because I just finished the PDI of my car, but instead of the one allotted to me, I chose the one parked next to it - as it was an unreserved copy, was just confirming the same to the team lead, as my SA was on leave.

Appearance?
Studds helmet in hand, t-shirt, pajama, sports shoes - typical home outfit as I wasn't bothered about becoming a gentleman for a PDI at least.

The Curious Couple
Here is this well dressed young lad and his wife. Both talking about some car. So I went to this guy, requested his 30 seconds, gave him the VIN of the one I chose, and was about to leave. When this guy asked me "Aap bhi VW gaadi le rahe hain (you re also buying a VW car)"? Before I could say anything, the sales manager said "Sir ki dusri gaadi hai 2 mahine me (This is sir's second car in 2 months)"! And this guy suddenly said "Yes, you must be a minimalist".

I smiled and left.

Materialism and hypocrisy are the new normal. Either become a minimalist, talk less to people and mind your own business, or the banks are any day there to help you. The only man who doesn't treat you based on the car you drive is your bank manager. For everyone else; including your friends and relatives too, you are either a sahab or just another aam aadmi; based on what you possess.

What I suggest?
Stay a minimalist, and wait for the materialists to go broke, the best deals come from there only. Don't call me sadist, that's exactly how the stuff works. I know a bank manager who always tells us months before the D day, that a good car is soon coming to market - be ready, and I agree that he got us many awesome deals too.

I drive a nice hatchback daily, and I am fine waiting at reception too - the more I wait, the more they lose (I am the one who will pay the tip after all).

Last edited by VKumar : 17th May 2021 at 13:37.
VKumar is offline   (53) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 17:42   #96
BHPian

My experience is a bit different and am sure others may have noticed it. Some drivers tend to turn on their ego when then see a car at their front with LTD stickers. They are jumping to overtake me and move ahead.

In city I let them go, most of the time. Out on the highway I sometimes do pick up the challenge especially when I am driving the Crysta and let the 2.8 motor do the talking.
haisaikat is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 18:34   #97
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure how many generally observe but everyone might have experienced this. Not pointing out to a particular incident but just look at the highways. Try overtaking in a small hatchback, you will not be given way. Try the same in an Innova or a bigger SUV, you will automatically find place to overtake (90% of the time). This is basic human nature I guess. When an Alto or a Nano overtakes an SUV, the driver of the SUV feels offended and overtakes immediately. Faced this multiple times when I drove my Estilo on the highways. Every big car just comes too close and start to flash lights, not a cool feeling when you are cruising on your own at reasonable speeds.
Raghu M is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 18:42   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Never till now though my choices of cars have always been unusual from the rest of the crowd, even those who I mingle with or go on drives.

Of-course I have been asked questions like "Which car" or "Why this car" many times including this forum itself but I do not consider that as negative treatment .

When it comes to being treated right for the car/bike you are driving/riding, you need to be presenting yourself right. That is all that matters.

There should be no complex in the first place for driving what you like, no matter what.
paragsachania is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 18:55   #99
BHPian

This had happened to me once when I had gone to buy my first car sometime in 2009 in a small city in northern part of our beloved country.
I used to own an old Yamaha RX135 motorcycle & had been married for a year. We decided the motorcycle is not very convenient & safe and need to buy a new car. After flipping through the autocar magazines & pouring over the details we shortlisted the Ford Icon. With a cheque book in hand, me & my wife went to the nearly Ford dealership on the motorcycle. The dealership parking area gate was open & we zoomed in, the security guard came running behind shouting what do we we want. So much welcome for a prospective customer. We just ignored him & walked into the reception area, he still shouting whom do we want to meet & trying to shoo us away. The manager came out & took control of the situation, when he realized we were here to buy the Ford Ikon car his behavior changed but the security guard was still murmuring & doubtful of our intent. Ne could not imagine that an ordinarily dressed couple on an old motorcycle could be a prospective Ford Icon buyer. The mood was spoilt for both me & my wife and after a cursory glance at the cars, we left the showroom never to return. We went to the nearby Maruti Suzuki showroom & want a change in attitude it was. Reflecting today, I see why Maruti is considered a peoples company & car despite not having the best products. We booked a Swift VDI with zero discount and had a very happy memorable 4 yrs with it. 3 cars down the years, I have never stepped into a Ford dealership again. Last year when we were picking up an SUV, the Endeavour was a strong contender, but the boorish behavior at the Ford dealership resulted in us buying the Toyota Innova despite it being an inferior product. While some may think it was a one of incident nothing to do with GM or their products, it largely reflects on the training & customer orientation focus which the car company is responsible for. I starkly experienced it & was apparent in black & white between Ford & Maruti. So no Fords in my family as per choice.
goswami.j is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 19:13   #100
Senior - BHPian

Usually not, but whenever I have one of our yellow plate cars to drive, its super fun. There have been instances when I have driven up in a place with only valet parking in my T-permit car just because I don't want to hand over my Abarth to them. The look on the valet's faces is an absolute joy to watch.

Infact, here's a completely opposite discrimination- Couple of weeks back I was in Pune in my Eeco cargo. There was a nakabandi on the road ahead and the cops were asking everyone to stop. The moment we came in line with the cops, we were waived off... Not even stopped for anything.

A lot of establishments are weary of cheaper cars. Driving there or even parking at the front in a cheap car is not allowed - however well maintained it is.

I once drove to the Tata factory in Chakan in my Abarth. They asked me to park outside (not even in the designated parking) and then come inside. The rationale was only Tata vehicles allowed inside.
blackwasp is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 21:40   #101
Senior - BHPian

A neighbor in CA once had a Hummer H2 and would get rude notes pasted from environmentalists.

Generally in India, my family would park a little away from a fruit or vegetable vendor / roadside eatery as prices can be jacked up depending on the car you’re coming out of. Also, many parking attendants in the temples of TN have tried to fleece us seeing our KA registration plate. A few stern phrases in Tamil from my dad ensures they don’t mess with us.
landcruiser123 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 21:57   #102
BHPian

Perception, Judgement, no matter what you may call it , we are born with an inborn talent to act based on what we perceive rather than reacting after understanding the actuality of the scenario.

A very interesting thread indeed and two quick anecdotes came to my mind where I was on either side of the action-

Being in the automotive industry, it was "season" time and it was approximately 6.30pm when usually all the sales advisors leave for the day or packup to run away to freedom. I see an elderly man in a beat up Chevy U-Va drive in. The gentleman dressed in a typical "evening walk" attire enters the showroom and is casually browsing the cars on display an trying to search for a soul who could help him. In a distant at the staff parking lot I see a couple of the sales folks poking fun at each other on who'd attend him. Although not my job to attend a customer, I drop my bag and casually meet and greet and patiently walk around with him answering all his queries on the various cars we had on display not trying to actually sell a car to him. After we are done he thanks me , walks to his car and comes back with a cheque book and puts down a sizeable chunk of money on a Rs. 40lac car! The next day to everyones surprise we come to know that the person I attended was a head honcho at a major construction firm!

On the flip side, another incident makes me wonder about what a car says about its owner. I was supposed to pickup a set of documents from a lawyer whose office is situated in one of the fancy office complexes. Being in a choc-a-block area I decide to take my Nano. At the gate I'm questioned by the security as though I cant afford to stand at the gate let aside drive in the complex with my puny car. Same day, same afternoon I'm supposed to drop off the set back after my dad's signatures and I decide to take my heavily tinted Creta this time. Expecting the same scenario I start lowering the windows at the gate but to my surprise, the gates open , no questions asked and I get a salute from the same guy as well. Did my attire change, No. What changed was his importance towards me looking at the car. A lot was learnt that day.
richie4u is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 23:33   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
Being in a choc-a-block area I decide to take my Nano. At the gate I'm questioned by the security as though I cant afford to stand at the gate let aside drive in the complex with my puny car. Same day, same afternoon I'm supposed to drop off the set back after my dad's signatures and I decide to take my heavily tinted Creta this time.
Being a Nano owner, I was always prepared to be treated negatively because of my car. It was fun! In the context of above quote, I remember one such funny incidence. As a part of my daily routine, I would buy milk whenever I took my Nano out for a spin in the evening. Although I was a loyal customer, I was always looked down upon by the Milkman because of my Nano. He was related to Politics and owned Innova. Once I went to his shop in our new Creta, his perception changed completely and to my shock he talked about the car and asked few things about myself as well. He offered me a cup of tea . And after that day I never went back to his shop!

I have got many many stories like this. I am sure that Nano owners can relate with me!

Last edited by zaheer5776 : 17th May 2021 at 23:40.
zaheer5776 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 09:13   #104
BHPian

Not always but still I do get judged by the vehicle I use. There are residents in my apartment complex who talk to me and say "oh you are the one with that car". These guys are not car enthusiasts but rather they are driven by the age old "badi gaadi" syndrome.

Then there are kirana store owners, security personnel and other small business owners who regularly judge based on the car.

However, I have seen the opposite also. I'm surrounded by GenZ youngsters in my office who doesn't believe in owning a car. For them car is not essential and experiences matters.
When I got my Octavia while I was still having another decent car. I was looked down upon as a wannabe guy who doesn't have his priorities sorted.

Thanks to Covid, all this has changed. Need for social distancing has made everyone look for a car. Nowadays I get atleast 2 calls a week asking which car they should buy, what's the difference between AMT and CVT, Petrol or diesel etc. One GenZ even asked me "Should I learn driving before my car gets delivered or is it okay if I learn it afterwards?"
Lambydude is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 09:13   #105
BHPian

This one is a very recent event . This didn’t happen to me but rather my brother. He and his friend went to a mall in Mohali , so there are two type of parkings - normal and premium. They were driving a 2nd gen swift that was not in the best aesthetic condition at that time . They were about to park in the premium parking and suddenly the guard stopped them . He literally said , “ Tuhanu pta ethe 100 rupaiye lagde ne , normal parking dooje paase hai”. Translation - it costs Rs.100 to park here , you go and park in normal parking. They said yes they wanted to park in premium parking only .

The scenario was totally different when they went there after few days in a Fortuner , no questions asked where to park . The guard even offered valet parking .

On both scenarios they were dressed well but only difference was the ride.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 19th May 2021 at 12:44. Reason: spacing for improved readability
raider9990 is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks