Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2021, 21:50   #1
Team-BHP Support

Gadkari wants to increase speed limits on expressways to 140 kmph, Bill soon

Gadkari wants to increase speed limits on expressways to 140 kmph, Bill soon

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india...708101209.html

Some extracts reproduced below from the news link:

Union minister Nitin Gadkari on Friday said that he is in favour of increasing the maximum speed limit on expressways to 140 km per hour, and added that a Bill will soon be introduced in Parliament to revise the speed limits for vehicles for different categories of roads.

The road transport and highways minister added that there is a mentality regarding speed that if the speed of the car increases then there will be an accident.

"My personal view is that the speed limit for vehicles on expressways should be increased to 140 km per hour," he said while addressing the 'India Today Conclave 2021'.

Gadkari added that while the speed limits on national highways should be at least 100 km per hour on four-lane roads, the respective speed limit for two-lane roads and city roads should be 80 km per hour and 75 km per hour.

I know opinion is widely divided on this but personally I am all for this. I would happily comply strictly with a speed limit of 140 kmph on the right kind of expressway.

There are enough and more other dangerous practices on Indian highways and I think speeding takes a disproportionate share of the blame. Of course I agree that speed is an added contributor when other things go wrong but still. 100 kmph in my view is just too slow a speed limit in today’s day and age.

Let’s see whether this actually sees light of day. I might even trade in my horn for a flute sound if he pulls this off, as a hat tip to him.
Axe77 is online now   (89) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 22:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Gadkari wants to increase speed limits on expressways to 140 kmph, Bill soon

I really need to know, what on earth this guy smokes; first the Ambulance Siren to sound like Akashwani tune and then this

I have so many questions:

1) Why was 120km/hr alarm made mandatory?

2) Does he even realize the repercussions of having a 140km/hr limit????

3) How many cars barring the Germans can maintain 140km/hr easily, forget cars, how many drivers on road are capable of controlling a car at 140km/hr?

4) What about the slower moving traffic?

We have roads that have a limit of 120km/hr and their condition is apalling; I cannot maintain an average speed of 90km/hr on those roads. comfortably.

In January 2017, I drove from Sydney to Melbourne (Distance about 870Kms with a limit of 110km/hr) My average speed for the Journey was 101km/hr; this is what we need, not a limit of 140/160 km/hr, and yet have an average speed of 80km/hr.

We have been talking a lot about improving roads, infrastructure and what not; When are we going to talk about improving road behaviour; I do not want a limit of 140km/hr, I am happy with 110/120km/hr limit. But I am very unhappy about that odd motorcyclist/truck/uncle, whatsapping their hidden girl friends in the overtaking lane at 50km/hr

Last edited by akshay4587 : 10th October 2021 at 22:07.
akshay4587 is offline   (103) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 22:14   #3
BHPian

Re: Gadkari wants to increase speed limits on expressways to 140 kmph, Bill soon

Anything beyond 100 KMPH is dangerous in India, may be excepting a few highways(which I'm yet to see and drive on though).

There is no need to take India to the developed country status in speed limits. There are many things that need to be done before doing this.

Regards,
lsjey
lsjey is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 22:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

Welcome move. Most of the people think this is not a good move since our road is not ready for 140kmph. Hence, I want to put below points just as clarification.

Increasing the speed limits to 140kmph does not mean that all the vehicles on that road has to travel only at 140kmph. It is left to the driver's consensus whether the road quality is good enough, traffic conditions support such speed. Today, since the speed limits on national highway is 100 kmph, it becomes illegal if the vehicle crosses 100kmph. And 99% of cars including all of us drive the car at illegal speeds(even if we drive at 101kmph). In future, if in case, the law changes the speed limits to 120 kmph or 140 kmph, then we can drive the cars at say 110 kmph and still we will be within the legal limits.

All I am saying is, this enhancement does not encourage people to drive the cars only at 140kmph irrespective of the road conditions or traffic conditions or car condition.
gkveda is offline   (72) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 23:23   #5
BHPian

I would welcome an increase in the speed limit for highways/expressways. While I certainly don't drive at 140km/h even on empty expressways, I have crossed 100km/h mark and feel comfortable around 110/120km/h speeds. Naturally these speeds are possible only on excellent road conditions.

As some have mentioned, the objective is not to say that everyone HAS to drive at the top speed, but that one can drive at a high speed (if the road conditions permits) and not be penalized for it.

And yes, there will continue to be high speed accidents if the speed limit increases but then, I think many involved in high speed accidents currently are, in anycase, doing those above limt speeds now. No speed limit stops people who think the road is their racing track. Such people will continue to exist no matter what the speed limit is set at.

Last edited by DriverR : 10th October 2021 at 23:24. Reason: Added additional sentence
DriverR is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 23:30   #6
BHPian

Mod note: Please follow board rules - #13. Sensitive discussions involving politics or religion are to be avoided

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 11th October 2021 at 10:57.
CarNerd is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 23:32   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

While a max speed of 140 is good, what is direly needed is an enforced minimum speed limit of at least 80kmph. Challaning people for driving too slow on such roads will be very welcome and will go a long way in improving average speeds as well as lane discipline. It will also be a big push for our HCV manufacturers to come up with powerful trucks that can maintain 80-100kmph all day with load, just like in developed countries.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 23:41   #8
BHPian

It's like every morning he wakes up and decides to implement something new just for kicks without thinking about the head or tail of things. We simply do not have the infrastructure or driver discipline to justify or safely maintain speeds of 140km/h.
Porcupine is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 00:07   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

I support this move! With so many awesome cars in our market, allowing 140 km/hr is a very decent speed. Even 800 cc cars can achieve this speed with a bit of sweat (not recommended). But any 1200cc car can easily maintain 140 km/hr.
Few weeks back there was a news of Mr.Gadkari testing a highway at 170 km/hr in a Kia Carnival.
So it can be considered that the expressways with proper infrastructure will only allow this speed.

'I drive slow, so I'm a safe driver' is the worst statement I ever heard! A good driver can maintain good speed safely.

Few more implementation which are important-

Not all drivers will prefer to cruise at 140 km/hr. So a driver who want to be at 100 km/hr or lesser & driving in the fast lane will block the car coming at 140 km/hr.

Or a truck at 41 km/hr overtaking another truck which is cruising at 40 km/hr are the real menace.

Proper lane marking, indicating the speed is very important. If a car is doing 80km/hr at 140 km/hr lane or vice-versa should be penalized.

LMVs & HCVs should have different lanes.
Allowing 140 km/hr without proper implementation can be disastrous.

Lane-wise speed marking

Gadkari wants to increase speed limits on expressways to 140 kmph, Bill soon-esajsdbxcaqt4qh.jpg

Name:  xup9R.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  103.8 KB
Image source- Google.

Last edited by Samba : 11th October 2021 at 00:10.
Samba is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 06:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

To all supporting this move and calling out for lower speed limits on the same road for slower moving traffic.

Imagine yourself cruising at 140km/hr and the slow moving truck at 60-70km/hr suddenly decides to overtake another slower vehicle, and comes in your lane!!!!
A Uniform speed limit implemented strictly across all lanes ensures a smoother flowing traffic and lesser crashes.

Knowing, how people drive here, a car going at 140 and a truck going at 60km/hr albeit in a different lane is a recipe for disaster as that slower truck can switch into your lane at any time
akshay4587 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 07:19   #11
Senior - BHPian

Most Indian drivers aren't really trained well. Indian roads are certainly not ready for 140kmph. I'm not confident of cruising at 85 mph (137 kmph) on the best American roads on my 2012 Ford Fusion as it drains me out (increased wind & tire noise; Also multiple slowdowns when encountering slower vehicles) much faster than cruising between 70-80mph (112-128 kmph).

What is more important is to improve the average speed on Indian highways and expressways. Constant 120 kmph cruising allows one to travel between Bangalore-Chennai (360 km) in 3 hours of driving compared to the 5-6 it takes today.
landcruiser123 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 07:30   #12
BHPian

As a transport minister it's his job to think for the future. If he does not think then who else will? This is a great goal.

Setting a 140kmph speed limit is only one side. This will force the NHAI to make the road infrastructure good enough for the same. This will also force all other authorities to fix issues like non scientific U turns, unmarked humps, non-barricaded stretches next to villages etc. If you see, the issue is not bad roads, but more of other things like barricades, etc. That ecosystem will happen, but someone needs to set a goal and move things along. This is that step in my opinion.
deep_bang is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 08:15   #13
BHPian

When you brake at 140kmph, after 2-3 seconds you tend to still be at 80kmph. Whereas when you brake at 110-120kmph, existing regular passenger cars seem to decelerate to ~60kmph in the same time.

Crashing at 80kmph V/s at 60kmph, are 2 very different scenarios'. So IMO regulations on Braking distance would be just as important as speed limits.
WorkingGuru is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 09:19   #14
Team-BHP Support

I don’t think anyone here is imagining continuously cruising at 140 kmph on cruise control.

A 140 limit is useful so you can comfortably drive “up to” 140 kmph depending on need to overtake and traffic permitting. I also have no illusions that it will deliver average speeds of 100 kmph even. It’s just more convenient to be able to drive up to that speed when needed and when feasible.

Coming to speed differential, I think enforcing lane discipline should go a long way in ensuring that the speed differential issue is managed. The first thing they need to do is also enforce idiots who hog the right most lane when they are “not overtaking”. Wish there was some way to catch those jokers. They are the biggest cause of people using the wrong lane for the wrong purpose, forcing people to overtake from the middle lane and weave in and out of traffic as a result. I see enough cars that are cruising at well under even 80 kmph in the right most lane, oblivious to the impediments they are causing to smoother flow of traffic.

Last edited by Axe77 : 11th October 2021 at 09:22.
Axe77 is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 09:30   #15
BHPian

I'd be really Glad if this rule comes into power.

Firstly, a limit of 140 Kph doesn't mean everyone will drive at 140 kmph, because :

A regular highway driver knows very well, that most of the cars perform best with regards to mileage at a speed of 100kph ± 10 kph.

An average Indian car, say the 1 L turbo petrols or 1.5L TDi or 1.5L NA petrol or 1.2L petrol won't really feel comfortable at 140 kph.

Even our 2.0 TDi Jetta feels best at 110 ~ 120 kmph (on the speedo). It can do much greater speeds. But that would take a hit on mileage and comfort and also would increase engine noise, again disturbing the comfort.

On highways, where the number of KMs is high, mileage matters for most of the people. So most of the folks will not drive beyond 110 or 120 Kph continuously, that too if the road permits.

Having a 140 kmph limit will only help these people avoid a fine for driving at, say 105 kmph at which their car feels most comfortable.

A reckless speedster will drive recklessly irrespective of the speed limit.
saisailendra is offline   (18) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks