Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2021, 09:22   #46
BHPian

Re: S.E.X in the Number Plate: Rider not able to ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchandap View Post
[*]DL : Indicates the State, Delhi in this case[*]3S : Indicates the Area (RTO/A) where the owner resides[*]EX : The Current Series[/list]The first two are fixed for the residents of that particular area in Delhi. The EX series would have numbers starting from 0001 to 9999.

So, there would be numerous vehicles with this series.
Mostly correct. Delhi registrations are a tad different from the rest of the country.
The 3 in 3S indicates the RTO/A, in this case the Sheikh Sarai unit (has been moved recently though, I think).
The 'S' is for 2 wheelers, if it was a private 4 wheeler, would have been 'C'.
And yes this sequence would come in all the Delhi RTO's so nS EX would be all Delhi in a few years

I say in a few years because the series run alphabetically, and the '3' RTO is leading the race, so other's are yet to arrive at the EX series.
Old 3rd December 2021, 09:27   #47
BANNED

This thing is certainly being blown out of proportion, I too drive daily in Delhi and I really doubt if anyone bothers like the way it’s being highlighted. There are 9999 such vehicles on the road, aren’t other 9998 owners facing a similar issue? Simply changing the number plate is the solution to the problem, just separate the S with EX and it’s done.

I do agree that there are Romeos on the roads, but they don’t go around openly passing the comments and giving out their opinions loud and clear like it is being presented here on the thread. Evil elements don’t need a number plate to do their act, it is more of a psychological issue like - I know my number plate reads S EX, hence I will feel like everyone is noticing it and treating me a different way.

BTW, told my Delhi residing friends to find me one such vehicle, they are still to find a seller

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd December 2021 at 13:25. Reason: Profanity
VKumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 10:30   #48
Senior - BHPian

This is being blown out of proportion IMHO.

If the word is so offensive/bad then why does it adorn almost all the forms we fill ? We usually fill in M/F remember

Since we're a society of ever flowing opinions by almost everyone on almost everything its best to ignore and move on.

Like suggested earlier change the format of the number and ride on, if anyone asks ask them to check with the RTO on why are they issuing it.
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 12:36   #49
Senior - BHPian

Given that the MV Act specifies the dimensions of the number plates and the placement of the letters and numbers, would it not amount to going against the rules :
  • if one decided to change the size of the number plate on the front side of a two-wheeler?
  • If one were to split the letters on the number plate?
Old 3rd December 2021, 16:44   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisan View Post
  • if one decided to change the size of the number plate on the front side of a two-wheeler?
  • If one were to split the letters on the number plate?
Probably and Delhi would be having specific rules for the same.
Unless explicitly specified or if its an HSRP changes could be made if needed in a grey zone, reasoning would work but my point is there shouldn't be a need for it.

IMHO, ride it as is, ignore the idiots, as more vehicles come in with the same series it becomes common and people won't care except for that odd giggle.
Old 4th December 2021, 20:58   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

SEX on 2-wheeler number plate: DCW issues notice to RTO.

The Delhi Commission for Women issued a notice to Delhi RTO seeking changes to a vehicle's number plate which contains the word 'SEX'.

Quote:
The matter was brought to the DCW's notice by a girl who bought the scooty recently and got an allotment series on her vehicle registration number which contains the word'SEX'.

Quote:
The transport department has been asked by the commission to submit the total number of vehicles which have been registered in this series. Moreover, the DCW sought details of all such complaints which have been received by the department. Finally, the commission asked for a detailed action report on the matter within four days from the transport department.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 4th December 2021 at 21:01.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2021, 08:36   #52
BHPian

There was no reason for the DCW to jump into this. The number series was not exclusive for the women in particular.
If the word itself looked offensive ( or suggestive ) , will the DCW or other such organization jump into uproar when the same is asked to determine the gender ?

Anyways , the transport department has halted the registration of vehicle under 'DL..SEX..'
Attached Thumbnails
S.E.X in the Number Plate: Rider not able to ride-img_20211205_082145.jpg  

Old 5th December 2021, 08:48   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/88098802.cms

The protest on social media of which I am sure Team BHP was a major component has forced the attention of the Women's Commission and compelled the Delhi RTO to replace it with the SE Y series for all existing number plates. It is a pity that 'thinking' organizations such as the Delhi Commission for Women {DCW} has to step in to move our hide bound insensitive and unthinking bureaucrats of the RTO. These chaps have been hiding behind a 'no one has lodged a formal complaint yet' line. Without stating the obvious that lodging a formal complaint is made so uneasy for an ordinary citizen that few would step up. Social media is far more effective. For those from other States - in Delhi the Delhi Commission for Women is a quasi-Govt body and very powerful - rightfully so. In Delhi where the police & bureaucrats fear no one, they are very very wary of crossing swords with the DCW.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 5th December 2021 at 09:00.
V.Narayan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th December 2021, 15:02   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Security_Guy View Post
There was no reason for the DCW to jump into this. The number series was not exclusive for the women in particular.
If the word itself looked offensive ( or suggestive ) , will the DCW or other such organization jump into uproar when the same is asked to determine the gender ?

Anyways , the transport department has halted the registration of vehicle under 'DL..SEX..'
I must politely disagree with you. I can understand how this whole thing might seem funny for us men but we live in a country where women are catcalled or shamed for wearing so-called 'western cloths', even in major metros mind you. So, I just can't imagine the lewd comments (or worse) the poor woman would have to face while riding a scooty with S.E.X written on its plates. Equality in treatment gets thrown out of the roof when men can confidently walk on the street without the fear of vagabonds commenting on your body.
dragracer567 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th December 2021, 17:28   #55
Senior - BHPian

Since we are on this topic, I was a CAB driver for 8 years (2006-14).

My Civic had registration no. DL4CAB xxxx.
mukeshgoel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th December 2021, 20:41   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Security_Guy View Post
If the word itself looked offensive ( or suggestive ) , will the DCW or other such organization jump into uproar when the same is asked to determine the gender
Sir with due respect I don't know which world you inhabit but it is certainly light years different from the one my daughter and daughter-in-law {both in their twenties} inhabit in Delhi-NCR. DCW seeking gender equality in jobs, opportunities etc is a completely different matter and context from physical safety. Please do not mix these two issues up as is fashionable with men when they wish to be churlish. Men having no clue or empathy to the world the women in their family contend with in Delhi are, in my considered opinion, a part of the problem. Sorry if I'm being curt. Please look around and smell the coffee.
V.Narayan is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th December 2021, 21:10   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Since we are on this topic, I was a CAB driver for 8 years (2006-14).

My Civic had registration no. DL4CAB xxxx.
This can go into the "Automotive coincidences in India" thread too.
adisan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 00:21   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Sir with due respect I don't know which world you inhabit but it is certainly light years different from the one my daughter and daughter-in-law {both in their twenties} inhabit in Delhi-NCR.
Sir, With all due respect, I beg to say that, though I am of-course a "newbie", I have crossed the teenager age group a long time back (sigh!).

I know the trauma a girl (my friends, my sisters, my relatives) have to go through every single day in not only NCR but in all part of the world.

Like a many in the thread, I wanted to point out , that it's not in the numbers (series) , but in the mind of the people , which allow any word in the number plate, in the t-shirt, in the screensaver, to paint them as the 'available' .

I am sorry to say that , We as a citizen of the Earth, need to Ban our mindset than banning the number series ,the dress code , the logo (remember Myntra logo saga? ) and what not !

I agree to disagree with anyone who say that Its the sufferer who need to change and not the goon themselves!
D_Security_Guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 14:28   #59
Team-BHP Support

So Noopster and me were enjoying Chhole Bhature and Jalebi in Old Delhi on a lazy Sunday morning when we spotted this scooter.

The rear plate definitely looks better. The front one screams for attention.
Attached Thumbnails
S.E.X in the Number Plate: Rider not able to ride-img_20220306_095245.jpg  

S.E.X in the Number Plate: Rider not able to ride-img_20220306_095252_2.jpg  

Eddy is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks