Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2021, 10:29   #1
BHPian

S.E.X in the Number Plate: Rider not able to ride

A Delhi girl is facing a weird situation with her Scooty. She got a number plate that has alphabets S E X.

The combination of the letters on the number plate of her Scooty is so unbelievable that she hasn't been able to take the two-wheeler out even once - and it has been more than three weeks.

RTO Officials in Delhi can not help because there is no provision to change the registration number. Around 10,000 numbers have been issued for that series.

The S.E.X in the Scooty

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd December 2021 at 05:26. Reason: Typo
NH08 is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 10:40   #2
BHPian

Re: S.E.X in the Number Plate: Rider not able to ride

I can only imagine at most someone could grin over the technical coincidence for 1-2 seconds in the first time. Beyond that, I really wonder why some sections of society can't accept things as matter of fact. Did our population come from peacock tears !?

Then again, most journos today will try to make much ado about any headline that sells as clickbait. I don't believe the person is SO aggravated to have not used the vehicle, especially during a raging pandemic.

Last edited by WorkingGuru : 30th November 2021 at 10:42.
WorkingGuru is offline   (75) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 10:45   #3
BHPian

I couldn't help but laugh at the plight of the girl. Though I wonder about the mental age of the people that one should get more than a mere chuckle out of the coincidental arrangement of letters.
Another irony being, some people would have paid extra to get such an arrangement.
deltasierra is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 10:46   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
I can only imagine at most someone could grin over the technical coincidence for 1-2 seconds in the first time. Beyond that, I really wonder why some sections of society can't accept things as matter of fact. Did our population come from peacock tears !?

Then again, most journos today will try to make much ado about any headline that sells as clickbait. I don't believe the person is SO aggravated to have not used the vehicle, especially during a raging pandemic.
You are talking of an ideal world.

I can imagine how the poor girl would be heckled in Delhi when driving with a number plate that reads S.E.X. The fact that it is a two-wheeler makes it even worse. They go through enough already, without such additional "motivation" for miscreants.

Feel sorry for her, and I hope a solution is found for this.

Last edited by Eddy : 30th November 2021 at 10:47.
Eddy is offline   (122) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 10:46   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

IMO, Delhi's numbering system is a bit weird - not the same as (almost) rest of country. While rest of country uses numbers in the 2nd part, DL uses a combination of letters & numbers. If DL had followed the system other states follow, then this series of nSEX would have been something like nnEX. And such situations would have not occurred.

This not-pleasant coincidence is going to haunt some owner. One thing she can try - though will be a bit of deviation from RTO rules: Use a square number plate in front. THis way the number can be displayed as
DL 3S
EX nnnn

.. thus drawing lesser attention to the unintended word.

Last edited by condor : 30th November 2021 at 10:49.
condor is online now   (73) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 10:51   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I can imagine how the poor girl would be heckled in Delhi when driving with a number plate that reads S.E.X.
True, not just for Delhi, I can imagine this happening everywhere.

I guess she can sell the scooty out of state to a friend, which changes the number, and then buy it back to get a new number.
Samurai is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 10:57   #7
BHPian

Hard to react to this predicament, except saying that Indian society is a strange place. Like the saying goes, if you are not on the driving seat of your own life, someone else will be.

What she has on her number plate is no reason for her to feel judged by silly Delhi aunties. She has bought the scooty after apparent struggle, she should ride it like a gangster in and out of her neighbourhood! And post selfies. The day we start to get comfortable in our own skin is when such stupid judgements start to automatically fall away.

All my wisdom aside, she and her family may consider lodging a complaint to:
1. Delhi Department of Transport (Kailash Gahlot is the Minister, I believe - write to his department with a strong call for women's safety)
2. MLA / DC / DM of the area
3. Delhi Commission for Women (Swati Maliwal is the Chairperson and she is quite the firebrand!)

(4. And, also an FIR against the aunties for harassment if the snide comments are indeed as serious as the article sounds it out to be. Every Delhiite would have at some point refered to the Police to put a neighbour in place May be for the girl and her family too, it is about time!)

Last edited by DogNDamsel12 : 30th November 2021 at 11:04.
DogNDamsel12 is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 10:59   #8
BHPian

The real issue lies in the way the number plate is formatted.

It would be better to use below type. It breaks the S.E.X part and makes it almost non-sexist.

Name:  NoPlt.jpg
Views: 945
Size:  61.1 KB

Note : Above number just for sample, apologies for any unintentional co-incidences.

Last edited by iamahunter : 30th November 2021 at 11:01.
iamahunter is offline   (138) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 11:03   #9
BHPian

Quote:

Do cops crackdown a lot on damaged plates? She can cover up the alphabet with a masking tape or something if she's riding locally. I know it may be illegal but what else can be done!
Old 30th November 2021, 11:14   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

My simple mind boggles at the thought that in the 21st century, a girl has to worry about the number plate of her scooty and be ashamed of riding it just because someone took offence. When the relevant authorities didn’t think while issuing the number then it’s nobody’s business to harass someone, let alone a girl on the streets.

As @DogNDamsel12 said above, it’s time that we should try to be brazen about some things, so as to make them as normal as possible. But as much as I wish for, I also know that it is too much of a task in a cities, more so in a place like Delhi. I really feel for the girl, she has every right to ride the bike just as anybody else without the drama surrounding some number which has nothing to do with her !!
ABHI_1512 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 11:17   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

They should have thought it through.

The number plate system in Saudi Arabia changed into a 'ABC 123' system in the mid 2000s I believe. Initially they just issued random number plates, but then as the series rolled out, they banned or stopped issuing plates with 'ASS', 'SEX', 'BUM', 'USA', 'HOT' etc

And not just conservative countries, I believe MVDs in UK and USA also don't allow obscene/ vulgar combinations. Even the vanity plates in many US states are strictly vetted for hate speech, vulgarity or plain offensive. So I don't think the open mind, progressive thinking applies here.

I do remember my college days, when the KL 01 BJ series rolled out. And college mates pointing it out and laughing.
DicKy is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 11:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I can imagine how the poor girl would be heckled in Delhi when driving with a number plate that reads S.E.X. The fact that it is a two-wheeler makes it even worse. They go through enough already, without such additional "motivation" for miscreants.

As registration number can't be changed the best solution will be to sell it off and buy a new one. There are many notorious people in the world who will buy this without any issue. Don't see her riding this especially in a place like Delhi as she will be harassed without doubt.
harry10 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 11:21   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
Do cops crackdown a lot on damaged plates? She can cover up the alphabet with a masking tape or something if she's riding locally. I know it may be illegal but what else can be done!
Fortunately or unfortunately, yes. And especially two-wheelers which are flagged for checking more often compared to cars. She may encounter an empathetic cop once in a while, but too much of a headache.

Quote:
What she has on her number plate is no reason for her to feel judged by silly Delhi aunties.
Trust me, neighboring aunties, embarrassment etc are the least of her problems. It's the roadside Romeos that scare me.
Eddy is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 11:27   #14
KPR
BANNED

Someone ping Khaby. He will tell those 10000 how to give right line break and make it look simple and normal.
KPR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 12:04   #15
Senior - BHPian

I'm very very positive there will be some pullingo out there who will even take a loan, pay twice the OTR price, just for the scooty's number. Sell the scooty, get a new scooty & also have the cash in hand!! Problem solved!!

Now that the news has hit the headlines, selling the scooter won't be that hard either.

Last edited by aargee : 30th November 2021 at 12:06.
aargee is offline   (18) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks