Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2022, 10:29   #16
BHPian

Re: 3% of divorces in Mumbai due to traffic jams - Amruta Fadnavis

That was my reaction when I read the news. Just couldn't control laughing!

There is one rule in India. Ruling party is always bad for people and Opposition is driven ONLY by humanity. Actually this applies to everywhere in the world. These kind of incidents are now a days adding humor to my life rather than anger. Read-Laugh-Move on!

As every Bengaluru resident would have, even i thought. "What would be the % here then?"
dvr08 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 11:11   #17
Senior - BHPian

What it misses is ‘what %age of divorces traffic have saved’ as couples are spending less time together 😊
sunikkat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 11:44   #18
Senior - BHPian

Mumbai is one of the most dense traffic places in the world. But relating it to divorce is not 100% true.

Quote:
Commuters in Mumbai waste 55 per cent of their time stuck in traffic, equating to roughly 11 days in traffic for the average person, assuming a 30-minute commute.

It gets worse during the monsoon season when a 30-minute journey becomes 70 minutes.
Source: https://www.sbs.com.au/language/engl...2070%20minutes.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 12:35   #19
BHPian

Amazing logic and the number given also seems absolutely apt.
By this logic, in Bangalore, the number would probably be in double digits. Possible re-marriages happening while sitting in an Uber Share to cross the Silk board junction. True Story!!
Name:  Silkboard.png
Views: 190
Size:  166.1 KB
https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities...le23385646.ece
ShreyG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 12:54   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

The problem with statements like this is that without context you don't know if they were spoken seriously, in jest or sarcastically. Since the one who uttered this is an educated person, I will give her the benefit of the doubt.

3% huh? I know one guy who goes on extended road trips on work just to get away from his domestic issues! Am sure he credits the time on the road to the success of his marriage
noopster is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 14:07   #21
Senior - BHPian

While divorces are on rise, traffic gridlocks surely maybe one of the reasons behind them. Its difficult to get numbers but quality of life has been going down in Mumbai or for that matter even in other metros of late due to numerous reasons. Quality of parenting also seems to be going down with both parents working hard to make a living and to sustain their lifestyle. Today we spend more money on kids, but less time.

Speaking only of Mumbai, i cant see how the coastal road or new double decker electric buses are going to help the cause in any way.

Mumbaikars being Mumbaikars are used to long and uncomfortable commutes since long times, and we turn a blind eye to our sufferings under name of Mumbai Spirit.

The only hope is the Metro web, and again guys please dont expect a miracle once it starts, traffic on roads will more or less be the same even after metro starts IMO.

Last edited by silverado : 8th February 2022 at 14:18.
silverado is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 14:23   #22
Senior - BHPian

What's the impact on physical and mental health of such long commutes?
Why is divorce a bigger criterion or argument here? Doesn't quality of life hold any value at all? Or we are expected to go through such troubles as tax paying chumps.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 14:24   #23
BHPian

When highly privileged folks like politicians or their family members utter anything which starts with "I am saying this as a common citizen...." , should be ignored with a deep sigh

Absurd statement IMHO.
AjinkyaP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 14:42   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
The only hope is the Metro web, and again guys please dont expect a miracle once it starts, traffic on roads will more or less be the same even after metro starts IMO.
You are correct, going by the example of Delhi and other world cities that have much better Metro systems and public transport. Traffic will still remain bad.

BUT- what a good public transport system does is give those of us who choose to utilize it and design our lives around it (look for work close to a metro station, choose schools that are connected, opt for entertainment options within reach of a metro station, etc.) the option and the chance of a far saner mode of transport and to avoid traffic as much as possible. And that's certainly an achievable and desirable goal.

But first the metro lines need to extend to cover a good part of the city, not like the laughable 'reach' metros like Mumbai's and Bangalore's have currently. Hope both pick up the pace of coverage soon.

Stats: https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ength-by-city/

Last edited by am1m : 8th February 2022 at 14:49.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 17:18   #25
BHPian

On the contrary, I used to travel with my wife and used to stuck at (father of all traffic Jam) at Delhi-Gurgaon toll, we used to talk every sphere of life and as soon as we reach home our kiddo is waiting for his day stories, so I must say due to this Jam we used to share a lot.
Sach_511 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 17:53   #26
Senior - BHPian

LoL This comment reminded me of this funny skit by YouTubers JordIndian :

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 8th February 2022 at 17:54.
GrammarNazi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 18:15   #27
BHPian

Without getting into the intention of this statement, and what data points were validated, if such media pressure can push for accelerated Metro constructions, I am all for it :
My daily commute time is up 50% due to never ending constructions all over the city. And the queens necklace - once a pride, is crying for restoration
Jangra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 21:54   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
3% huh? I know one guy who goes on extended road trips on work just to get away from his domestic issues! Am sure he credits the time on the road to the success of his marriage
Agree with you. There are lot of studies stating increase in divorce rates during lockdown (read as - not spending enough time outside the house, away from spouse!)
https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article...s-and-divorces
vasanthn21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 01:35   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Speaking to the media Mrs Amruta Fadnavis wife of former Chief Minister of Maharashtra, Mr Devendra Fadnavis, has stated that 3% of the divorces in Mumbai are due to traffic jams. Those held up in such prolonged and endless traffic snarls are finding less time to spend with their families and hence the end result is a marital discord and break-up.
According to other sources, couples spending more time together is causing an increase in divorces. So which is it?

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/80140111.cms

https://www.thehindu.com/society/the...le34223244.ece

https://www.newindianexpress.com/nat...t-2153644.html

Traffic jams could be a savior of marriages according to such articles
Sarath_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 15:39   #30
BHPian

I think there should also be a study on the effect of TeamBHP addiction on marriages. Now that will be an interesting one

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks