Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2022, 12:05   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

3% of divorces in Mumbai due to traffic jams - Amruta Fadnavis

Speaking to the media Mrs Amruta Fadnavis wife of former Chief Minister of Maharashtra, Mr Devendra Fadnavis, has stated that 3% of the divorces in Mumbai are due to traffic jams. Those held up in such prolonged and endless traffic snarls are finding less time to spend with their families and hence the end result is a marital discord and break-up.

Her contention is agreeable and such traffic jams date back to decades, especially if one has to commute from North to South Mumbai or vice versa for work. Even countless other routes in Greater Mumbai have become crowded and driving through the jams has become time consuming.

Quote:

“I am saying this as a common citizen because I see potholes and traffic jams daily. Do you know how many divorces are taking place because of it in Mumbai? Three per cent," she said.

"People can not find time for their families because of traffic issues,” Fadnavis, a banker by profession, added.
The link:

https://www.indiatoday.in/amp/india/...169-2022-02-05

(politics may please be strictly avoided as per teambhp guidelines and the discussion is only for traffic issues)

Last edited by GTO : 7th February 2022 at 10:18. Reason: Small typo
anjan_c2007 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 12:45   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 3% of divorces in Mumbai due to traffic jams - Amruta Fadnavis

Her statement cannot be viewed as anything but political point scoring. Indian cities are some of the most congested in the world but our divorce rates are among the lowest, globally. By her logic, places like Bogota or Jakarta or Dhaka or even our own Namma Bangalore should have much higher divorce rates than Mumbai simply on account of having worse traffic.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 13:47   #3
BHPian

I think she got some inspiration from Nitin Gadkari! Someone rightly replied that people from Bangalore should be very careful. Instead of solving problems, these people are only interested in making absurd statements with a hope that ignorant people might believe them. Better to just ignore them.
CarNerd is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 14:06   #4
Team-BHP Support

Well that sounded scientific.

If we’re shooting in the dark, I’m proposing that another 3% are on account of unanticipated light traffic days where the spouse reaches home unexpectedly early …

Last edited by Axe77 : 9th February 2022 at 22:58.
Axe77 is offline   (100) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 14:20   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Citizens of Mumbai, Delhi-NCR and Bangalore spending endless hours commuting is common and has been so for years. Why only traffic jams/ -Mumbaikars commuting Borivili-Churchgate or Thane-VT have for decades spend long stretches of time getting home or to the workplace. So yes commuting delays add stress to marital relationships but putting a number to it and concluding a direct cause-effect might be an effort in attracting social media eyeballs.
V.Narayan is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 14:21   #6
BHPian

To everybody to take her statement seriously she should have quoted the reference/source from where she got this data. What study was it? Where was it done? Does is it apply in Mumbai or any other setting?

If you read somewhere and try interpret on your own to take polictal potshots then you are subject to trolling.
Piyush_DT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 14:37   #7
BHPian

There needs to well defined difference between correlation and coincidence
For example according to this article and her statement Bengaluru would see a pandemic of divorces

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/beng...report-2171827

I used to stay in Whitefield and it would take me an hour to go to the nearest IMAX which is also in whitefield making the movie experience both dreadful and rewarding if it is good.

I sometimes felt guilty in Delhi when I would end up at the Mall just 10mins after stepping out of my home. Once having decided to walk to the mall only to end up there in 12mins. This was in Saket.
Sarath_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 15:33   #8
One
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Well that sounded scientific.

If we’re shooting in the dark... proposing that another 3% are on account of unanticipated light traffic days where the spouse reaches home unexpectedly early and finds ….
Frankly, the ability to shoot in the dark is also going down. Know multiple now who had to stop commute in the city just to be able to fire first and then fire non-blanks next. This goes beyond martial issues, increasingly becoming a more serious family issue now.
One is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 22:02   #9
BHPian

Meanwhile, couples from Bangalore:
3% of divorces in Mumbai due to traffic jams - Amruta Fadnavis-cover41.jpg

And what's the scientific proof behind this statement? If ever I'm needed to explain the phrase "conjure out of thin air", I'm going to use this example.

People will say anything for votes, and the worse part is... A lot of people will fall for it.
GrandTourer is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 13:57   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Speaking to the media Mrs Amruta Fadnavis wife of former Chief Minister of Maharashtra, Mr Devendra Fadnavis, has stated that 3% of the divorces in Mumbai are due to traffic jams.

(politics may please be strictly avoided as per teambhp guidelines and the discussion is only for traffic issues)
BMC elections are due in late March/April'22, per this.

We can keep politics and traffic mutually exclusive but these guys can't.
JoshMachine is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 10:05   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Politicians and newspapers have always understood the importance of keywords, much before Google, social media managers, or PR agencies. Words that will trigger your target audience and gain immediate readership, even if the facts are otherwise. And 'divorce' is surely one of those keywords (local newspapers in Bangalore have been using the 'divorce rates rising' bait headlines for years). (Frankly, so what even if divorce rates are rising?! It means 2 people are happier apart than miserable together- but that's a whole other discussion!)

Coming to what's relevant to the thread, there is no doubt however that bad traffic contributes to a bad quality of life. And the stress from negotiating traffic spills over into other aspects of your life. Have seen it first hand a decade ago when I worked out of another city for a year and had the luxury of renting a house close to work. And again now over the past 2 years working from home because of covid related office closures. I certainly see the mental and physical benefits of being able to avoid traffic as much as possible. It's very, very obvious.

Would be great if politicians actually did something about the issue (traffic, not divorces! ) rather than just use it to make the news. Would be even better if we the voting public made it an actual election issue too!

Last edited by am1m : 8th February 2022 at 10:14.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 10:06   #12
BHPian

Bunch of politicians making moronic statements just before elections. That's the gist of this entire controversy.
AirbusCapt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 10:15   #13
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore people
Latheesh is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 10:22   #14
BHPian

Correlation does not imply Causation: A general example "do umbrellas cause accidents?" This can be "yes" if we use higher usage of umbrellas and higher accidents in that time (conveniently ignore the Rain factors and treacherous conditions).

Likewise, the politician statement is absurd, still convenient knowing the traffic snarls coupled with corruption in roads building/repairs and our impatience
sanstorm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 10:23   #15
BHPian

Assuming 2 hours spent in traffic each day approximately, I am predicting that 8.33 (2/24) percent of all our problems are due to traffic, oh, wait, could that be 11.765% (2/17 waking hours)?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks