Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2022, 16:45   #31
BHPian

Re: The Anmod Car Breaker | Review of the infamous Anmod ditch

Great thread. I think there should be an option in Google Maps to mark a poor condition road/ditch/heavy potholes like we document it here in this thread. This info can be used to choose the routes as well. If in car navigation can smartly give such alerts while driving through unknown national /state higways, a lot of roadside breakdowns can be avoided. Tons of saved oil sumps, alloy wheels, suspension components, tyres and lower backs of users!
5252rpm is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 17:09   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post

That last veteran (battle-scarred concrete) speedbreaker (from KA-GOA) side is a lethal one; got cheap thrills to note that the overloaded XUV solidly beached itself on it. Could hear the crash over the music; they had to get out to assess the damage.

In summary to all long wheelbase sedan drivers,do not get hurried over such monster speedbreakers or ditches. Pull over safely on the shoulder and observe a few cars going over. Then choose your approach & exit angle. It's better to 'waste' 30 seconds than to damage your undercarriage, or even worse the sump
That's pretty cool driving tbh, getting over a speedbreaker that beached an XUV500 in a low-slung BMW - with no scraping, either. I'd heard about this crab walking technique, but it never made much difference for me in my old Elantra. (Or maybe that was the difference between scraping the undercarriage vs getting beached. )
Old 24th June 2022, 13:09   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkv_2401 View Post
That's pretty cool driving tbh, getting over a speedbreaker that beached an XUV500 in a low-slung BMW - with no scraping, either. I'd heard about this crab walking technique, but it never made much difference for me in my old Elantra
Haha, the XUV5OO was an oldie, was rashly overspeeding + horribly overloaded. He tried to follow me straight through and must have badly misjudged the sheer size of that concrete mugger crocodile .

Again, these Germans are inherently stiff and possibly compress less than the Koreans even when crabbing. That could be a reason .
Old 24th June 2022, 17:16   #34
Senior - BHPian

So what is the best way to tackle such a ditch? Do we do the angle approach as one would do over giant speed breakers?
Old 27th June 2022, 10:43   #35
BHPian

Great work at pointing out this killer ditch. Fortunately, I have always been very slow approacing this section because there is an intersection, and so have been able to bypass the ditch from the side.

However, there is another spot on this road to Goa (I can't remember if it is before or after this section) where the road suddenly ramps up, and this ramp is very hard to discern, so one usually ends up arriving at this section at the upper speed limit (50 kmph), which is enough to send the car flying. I have been launched airborne on two occasions the landing was very unpleasant & hard. It is very easy for people to speed in this section, an it can be a potential suspension breaker or worse.

If anyone else has encountered this spot that I'm referring to and remembers the location it will be great if you can share it. Else, I will note it down and share the location the next time I am on this route.
Old 27th June 2022, 11:59   #36
BHPian

Thanks to this thread, we were able to spot this giant of a ditch on a Blore-Goa-Blore drive this weekend.

There are a couple of more really bad spots as well - while coming from KA side, once you cross the railway gate just after the erstwhile Tinai ghat diversion, there are at least 3-4 patches where the concrete road abruptly ends and there is a sheer drop that can catch one unawares.

We were in a Kodiaq and saw a pickup truck ahead slow down significantly at one of these concrete road cuts and realised there is a drop and slowed down. A rashly driven swift behind us thought that is an overtaking opportunity to pass 2 vehicles at once and beached itself with a loud thud.

Basically best to take it slow from the railway gate after Tinai ghat till you reach Anmod checkpoint when going from KA side.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 27th June 2022 at 12:04. Reason: spacing for improved readability
Old 27th June 2022, 12:07   #37
BHPian

At first, I assumed this to be a gigantic pothole that gobbles up cars. This looks no different from the millions found on Bangalore's roads.

When the white topping was in progress, I climbed up from asphalt to concrete on something bigger than what I see in this picture .
Old 28th June 2022, 01:13   #38
BHPian

This reminds me of a spot on ORR, which was even worse. till a few months back if one were to take the flyover that connects Tin Factory and ORR towards Hebbal, just as you get down at the start of Kasturi nagar if you are in the left lane at good speeds then God save you. It was nor a pothole but an abrupt I'll formed gradient at may be around 30°, I have seen an old esteems bonnet come loose. Now to complicate this the right lane of the flyover had beautiful craters and bulging expansion joints. So you have like 50m to decide if you want to drift 2 lanes to your right or slow down to crawl up that cliff. After the white topping, its a Lil better but even now a jolt is guaranteed if you are on the left lane.
Old 6th October 2023, 22:20   #39

Greetings to all,

Wanted to contribute to this thread by providing an update on the condition of this road. Drove down from Hyderabad to Goa in my dad's 2017 Baleno Delta Petrol MT.

I recently drove to Goa from Hyderabad. My decision to go Raichur was the right one but the misfortune/misadventure began when I decided to take the Hubbali, Dharwad route to Goa from Raichur.

I had traveled a few months back from Goa to Hyderabad using this route and was hopeful that the road must have been fixed at least to some extent. If only I could realize the folly I made in that moment.

A lot of roadwork is going on near Koppal. This was my my second mistake of the day. The first mistake was leaving late from Hyderabad. Thus by the time I reached Koppal it was night and Google Maps was playing it usual tricks/

I had to drive through Koppal city to make it to the highway that connects to Hubbali. This road condition though patchy was okay as long as one drove a bit slower. Once I connected to the highway I made good time to Hubbali.

Once again Google maps started acting up and was taking me in a different route. Luckily I stopped and asked around on how to get to Anmod ghat or how to get to Dharwad.

Being the eve of Ganesh Chaturthi celebrations there were people around and soon I obtained the correct directions. On a side note I would like to mention how much Hubbali city has changed, there is a dedicated road only for city buses and KSRTC inter state buses. No other vehicles are allowed on this road, as I clearly found out when I inadvertently drove onto said road.

Stopped at Shell petrol pump to fill fuel and was immediately bought to tears by the premium being charged by Shell Petrol pump. Finally I was on the Dharwad to Ramnagar toll road. Though not the best, I have always liked driving on this road. The twisty bits going through the forest, provides a challenge for the driver and the vehicle as well.

The Dharwad to Ramnagar road while approachable in daylight turns into a different beast at night. Add rain and fog to the mix and we have a driving challenge on your hands. This challenge gave me a second wind and I made good time.The nightmare began once I crossed Ramnagar, the road was non existent and very patchy. The potholes were now the similar in width to the Baleno and I had to literally crawl the Baleno in first gear out of all these multiple potholes.

While I approached the dreaded car breaker pothole the traffic came to an abrupt halt on one of the diversions. Turns out a trucker who was coming on this route for the first time was so scared that he refused to move forward. After some choice words from fellow motorists and truckers alike, he finally moved to the side and let us all pass. The dreaded car breaker loomed and was even more difficult to spot at night and in foggy conditions.

Progress was slow and I spotted the car breaker as even a trucker was crabbing over it.

Somehow I made it past the infamous Anmod car breaker and made my way to the Karnataka check post.I would like to state that I took my time and slowly but surely made it over the infamous car breaker. I don't know why but I notice/observe this every time I drive down to Goa. The roads on the Karnataka side are terrible. However, it magically changes once you enter the Goa border the road becomes smooth and the number of potholes drastically reduce.

The descent to Mollem check post was another adventure as it started pelting down with rain combined with fog. There are some brave hearts, risk takers, dumb drivers whatever you prefer to call them, are always present on any journey. I encountered these enlightened souls as soon as I started to descend. Gave them a wide berth and let them pass. After a very challenging ghat road drive I finally made it to the Mollem check post. Once I was through I made good time to my parents home in Panaji and finally reached at 05:00 AM.

To conclude I would like to state that the Anmod car breaker has become even more menacing and that if anyone is planning to drive down to Goa best avoid the Anmod route, at least till the rainy season is over. I am still thankful to the car gods that I didn't suffer any car troubles while on this route.

Thank you

Last edited by Zappo : 7th October 2023 at 01:31.
Broke_Enthusias is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks