Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2022, 15:24   #1
BHPian

The Anmod Car Breaker | Review of the infamous Anmod ditch

The Anmod Car Breaker
I was intrigued by the infamous Anmod ditch so I clicked a few pics here to document it. It is indeed a monster.
This is not a ditch that can be taken at slow speed. The drop is too much and it WILL hit even at crawling speed. My A-Star took a hit as well - 170mm GC and lightly loaded. It all depends on the approach.

How to locate?
Easy - it is at the turn to Doodhsagar Jungle Resorts.
Set Doodhsagar Jungle resorts as a stop on Gmaps and watch out for the deviation from the main road to identify the spot.

Without the above it is not easy to identify the location. I witnessed many sudden braking incidents during my recee - it scared even the likes of XUV700, XUV500, Hector and an Endy. The 500 kicked up quite some dust while braking but none of them got a hit.

The Anmod Car Breaker | Review of the infamous Anmod ditch-0.jpg
The Anmod Car Breaker | Review of the infamous Anmod ditch-8.jpg

Anatomy

There are 3 points of interest:
1 : This is the car breaker. It is a sharp dip from concrete to a sloping mud surface with ditches. It is the worst of the three and the one where most cars were getting hit. In the span of 15 mins I was taking pics, a Jazz, Punto and Alto got severe hits. The Alto took a hit between the wheels and another one on the rear overhang.

2. This is the rise while going towards goa. Its not as bad as 1.

3. This is a gentle transition towards Doodhsagar Resorts turn and is the preferred approach to take. It did not have a sharp drop.

The 150 feet stretch had many deep potholes and ruts. It was not motorable by cars. So the cars had to resort to the 80 feet stretch.
To avoid the car breaker follow the 3->2 route. On return journey take 2->3 route.

Look for annotation in the images.

The Anmod Car Breaker | Review of the infamous Anmod ditch-1.jpg

Notice the Doodhsagar Jungle Resorts board on the left.
The Anmod Car Breaker | Review of the infamous Anmod ditch-2.jpg
The Anmod Car Breaker | Review of the infamous Anmod ditch-3.jpg

More images:
The Anmod Car Breaker | Review of the infamous Anmod ditch-img20220619wa0001.jpg

Notice the marks on the concrete edge and the broken car parts visible.
The Anmod Car Breaker | Review of the infamous Anmod ditch-5.jpg
The Anmod Car Breaker | Review of the infamous Anmod ditch-6.jpg

Closing thoughts:
This spot is in a densely forested area with significant rain and truck traffic. The optimal approach will change with time so best to walk it out of required.

OT: Is this the first review of a ditch on teambhp?
rajathv8 is online now   (186) Thanks
Old 19th June 2022, 15:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Thanks for a detailed review of the ditch. From what I experienced, and commented on, a few months ago it's got worse.
Only happens in Karnataka, unfinished roads, abandoned flyovers, potholes and well maintained speed breakers.
goandude is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 19th June 2022, 18:53   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
The Anmod Car Breaker
I was intrigued by the infamous Anmod ditch so I clicked a few pics here to document it. It is indeed a monster.
This is not a ditch that can be taken at slow speed. The drop is too much and it WILL hit even at crawling speed. My A-Star took a hit as well - 170mm GC and lightly loaded. It all depends on the approach.
Nice name! The Anmod Car Breaker!

Jokes apart definitely a serious problem. Hopefully they should ram it up and at least reduce the ditch by adding some rubble.
ampere is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 09:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[b]
Notice the marks on the concrete edge and the broken car parts visible.
We lost rear mudflap of Honda City at this spot in February this year
Shubhendra is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 10:23   #5
BHPian

Quote:
The Anmod Car Breaker
Thanks for the detailed description. You have put in a lot of effort and time. It shows. Very helpful for others driving in this region.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Thanks for a detailed review of the ditch. From what I experienced, and commented on, a few months ago it's got worse.
Only happens in Karnataka, unfinished roads, abandoned flyovers, potholes and well maintained speed breakers.
Maybe Karnataka Tourism should change their tagline to: One State, Many ways to terrorize road users
srvm is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 13:50   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If you are looking for permanent work, visit Shiradi ghat, we have a thread that is the longest of any particular route.
Samurai is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 18:04   #7
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Hopefully they should ram it up and at least reduce the ditch by adding some rubble.
Quote:
This spot is in a densely forested area with significant rain and truck traffic. The optimal approach will change with time so best to walk it out of required.
These kind of raised roads were laid practically everywhere during the early years (around the late 2000s) of the highway four lane construction/expansion.

I called numerous NHAI field officers and wrote to them about this threat. It was easily 2 to 5 inches at the time.
RGK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 19:09   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Anmod Car Breaker | Review of the infamous Anmod ditch

Thanks for sharing, rajathv8! Moving your post out to a new thread. Also on our homepage today .

@ BHPians, if you should spot any good post in an existing thread that deserves its own new thread, please report the post and we'll move it out for greater visibility.

Thank you!
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 19:23   #9
BHPian

Haha... This is awesome! Now we are reviewing ditches too. What's next? Potholes, compression joints

I had the displeasure of encountering this ditch last month, but thanks to TBHPian itwasntme, I was constantly on the lookout for this and the one speedbreaker near the railway crossing which has a sudden drop.

Generally there is hardly any traffic on this road and what I observed was taking the mud road earlier to the right of the concrete section marked as 1 in the opening post, was the best way last month. Not sure how much has it deteriorated since then.

You'll see the stark difference in road quality as soon as you cross over into Goa. Merely 50 metres into Goa, the surface becomes as smooth as a baby's bottom. Why Karnataka Why?!!
GrandTourer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 19:55   #10
BHPian

It isn't fair for you to claim all credits for ditches and potholes. Welcome to Guwahati where normal city roads have sudden depressions of more than 18 inches after a week of rain and water logging. Lesser said about 4-laning project of NH37, the lifeline of Assam. There are alternate sections of cemented roads but the sudden unmarked diversions have dealt a blow to many mighty vehicles. My Aspire negotiated the Martian surface between Teok and Dibrugarh last year on a dark rainy night, 4 adults and 2 kids, boot filled up with plenty of scrapes and bangs. Luckily only scratches on underbody and a suspect rear suspension. Got both rear struts replaced under extended goodwill warranty at over 110000 km.
Daytime - looks like Peppa pig muddy puddles. NH37, Upper Assam this year
Attached Images

eyedocgb is offline   (70) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 21:44   #11

Fantastic post.

I have personally gone through this stretch a couple of times. In a fully loaded Punto, which scraped the exact same place in the approach. Cannot stop laughing at the review. *Slow clap*
anantsood is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 23:28   #12
BHPian

Thank you for meticulously documenting this rajathv8, I am sure it will help fellow TBHPians who will use this route.

If anyone is traveling from South Goa towards Belagavi / Dharwad, this infamous breaker is just after the left turn into the Bhimgad Wildlife Sanctuary (BWS). So, if the Mumbai / Pune folks going to Belagavi / Belgaum continue towards Ramnagar instead of taking the route through BWS, they will encounter this. But seems this section is unavoidable for our Bengaluru and other KA travelers.

I went to South Goa last week and by luck missed this.

I hope someone from the Road works department atleast levels it up!
Meer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 23:30   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Anmod Car Breaker
This is not a ditch that can be taken at slow speed. The drop is too much and it WILL hit even at crawling speed.

Thoughtful and very TBHP

I lost my turbocharger to a similar sump hit near Corbett National park, September 2011 - didn't see a 6 feet region washed away by a flash stream and the sump took the beating. My only solace? others suffered worse!
phamilyman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 02:17   #14
BHPian

With this thread and https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...-arrested.html (Hyundai Creta gets stuck on Goa beach; Driver arrested), perhaps it's time to create a new slogan.

Team-BHP.com
Ditch cars. Beach cars.

Last edited by digitalnirvana : 22nd June 2022 at 02:18.
digitalnirvana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 08:01   #15
BHPian

Quote:
The Anmod Car Breaker
So good to see this ditch here I have guided many a motorist on this road and specifically advised on this ditch

I will remember this ditch forever, for this is where we lost our Hella Lamp cover while crossing it during the Covid 2nd wave.

Due to the lockdown, there were hardly any vehicles on this road and bam this suddenly comes up, I braked hard but the Gurkha still landed with some speed, no hits and so I moved forward, a few kms ahead at the next railway crossing I saw that the cover was missing. That's a pretty tight fit snap shut cover and it came off.

The Anmod Car Breaker | Review of the infamous Anmod ditch-whatsapp-image-20220622-7.54.04-am.jpeg
Trojan is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks