Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2019, 13:14   #151
BHPian

Re: Driving barefoot / without shoes....

When I joined the driving school, my instructor taught me to drive barefoot, citing the thick soles of my sandals. After getting my license, I still continued driving barefoot and was feeling a bit uncomfortable and irritating to remove every time I got in the car.
I'd had enough. I decided to get myself shoes, sandals etc. that are comfortable for driving.
It took me a fortnight of daily driving to finally get used to driving with shoes/sandals and now it is difficult to drive barefoot
Old 21st August 2019, 13:49   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav V View Post
When I joined the driving school, my instructor taught me to drive barefoot, citing the thick soles of my sandals.
Is this a common practice in driving schools? I learnt to drive and got my license in '97. Don't remember being asked to remove footwear while learning. I'm equally comfortable driving with slippers, shoes, sneakers, or barefoot. Preference is to drive with footwear though, shoes in the city and either slippers or sneakers on the highway drives.

My wife usually drives barefoot because her footwear to work is usually heels and those are definitely not suited to driving. But because she's just gotten so used to it, she'll remove even comfortable footwear or sneakers before driving. I think it's just a psychological/comfort thing and anyone can get used to driving either way- barefoot or with comfortable footwear on.

Last edited by am1m : 21st August 2019 at 13:54.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 14:02   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Is this a common practice in driving schools?.
I guess that's common because they are of the opinion that wearing inappropriate footwear while driving makes one uncomfortable, hampers the ability to feel clutch and abruptly release the clutch possibly stalling the car

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 21st August 2019 at 14:28. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Please avoid quoting a large post as it inconveniences small screen users. Thanks.
Abhinav V is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 15:04   #154
BHPian

I remember, on first day of my driving lesson my dad specifically told me to wear shoes regardless I'm wearing jeans, shorts or boxer short. His argument was that learning process will be faster in shoes and there are less chances of feet slipping out of floaters or sandals.

After so many years I'm more comfortable in driving wearing shoes than sandals. I always take off my sandal before starting car and place them under my seat.

Even on long highway trips i prefer shoes and take them off for an hour or so after driving for six odd hours.

Driving Barefoot/without shoes/with shoes, end of the day what matters is that the drive should be pleasurable
Old 23rd August 2019, 02:36   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Is this a common practice in driving schools? I learnt to drive and got my license in '97.
Yes, very common with the driving schools around here in TN. Not sure about other places.
Yieldway17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 15:10   #156
Senior - BHPian

My first driving lessons were courtesy the driver of my Dad's official Jeep in the mid-80s. While Dad would be getting ready to leave for work, his driver would let me drive the Jeep in our lane. I don't remember whether I just emulated his footwear-less driving or he asked me to.

Though the driving-lessons stopped as soon as my Dad got wind of this illegal driving, the habit of driving barefoot stuck. And stuck so hard that I could not drive with sandals or shoes - due to the fear that I wouldn't have feel/control and prompt response to the pedals.

So, for the next 15-16 years, it was barefoot driving, which when wearing sandals was OK. But was a pain during workdays - get into the car to go to work, remove both shoes and socks, drive to work, put back footwear. Repeat in the evening. It was a real PITA that I wanted to rectify, but inspite of multiple attempts, never could.

Finally sometime in 2001, I decided enough was enough and that I will overcome this irrational fear/habit. And after a few days of forcing myself to stick to driving with shoes, I finally overcame it. Can't express how relieved I was. Today can drive with or without footwear.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 05:59   #157
Senior - BHPian

For me, my feet tend to swell up when I wear shoes for an extended period of time, or even closed sandals. And I have to wear sandals or shoes with thick rubber soles for comfort (persistent problem with getting corns on my feet). So barefoot it is, and yes it is inconvenient and rather disgusting :(
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 07:59   #158
BHPian

My wife had this habit which she had picked up while learning to drive, not from a driving school for a change. She too wanted to let go of this habit but as we all know habits die hard. It took a great deal of EFFORT from my side to get rid of her habit. I just said, I would never accompany her in a car if she drove barefooted This was enough for her atleast to give it a try. And yes, she was successful in just about a couple of attempts
Old 17th April 2021, 08:23   #159
BHPian

I drive with-out shoes or any foot-wear..always.

It started way back in 2002. I was at a Korean Ship-yard for a yard delivery of a tanker. Used to drive a lot between hotel / site office / ship. One fine day I was wearing safety shoe with high neck, while parking the car, left foot was on clutch pedal, and I could not apply brake, as my right foot got entangled with the neck of left shoe. Banged the car at front with a light post. Lucky me, no causality or damage to the car.
Then onwards I started driving with-out any foot-wear.

Later I just could not drive anymore with foot-wears. But I always wear cotton socks while driving.

Sad part is, this mal-practice continued even with automatic cars. Somehow, I can’t feel the car pedals with foot-wears on.

Happy part is, me & my wife both drive with-out foot wears.

Brdgs
Sail
Sail is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 11:31   #160
Senior - BHPian

When I started out learning driving at my local driving school, the first thing the instructor used to tell us was to remove the footwear before operating the vehicle. This was a practice that got a hold of me for the first year of driving in my life. Later on I quit the habit of removing footwear, as I found it quite difficult when wearing shoes.

Last edited by TrackDay : 17th April 2021 at 11:36. Reason: grammer
Old 17th April 2021, 11:53   #161
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I might have tried driving without footwear for a couple of times at best. This was during long drives in summer’s where the feet gets a bit sweaty. I somehow never had the confidence to drive without my shoes or sandals. I had the feeling that the pedals get caught between the toes and the under feet and was worried that I might not swiftly be able to remove the feet when I need to.

I still get amused when I see folks driving bare foot. I just can’t.
Old 17th April 2021, 13:20   #162
BHPian

I prefer to drive bare feet especially on long journeys. during summer times with the heat of the sun beating down the AC might not make your feet feel cool how much ever you adjust the airflow. With other passengers not liking too cold air from AC am left with no option but drive bare feet.

for short highway drives/with in city i drive with foot ware
Old 19th April 2021, 20:57   #163
BHPian

I use shoes/sandals when driving my Fiesta, it has a hard Clutch, I drive my Spark bare foot, as I have Size 10UK feet and driving with footwear on is difficult due to the small foot well.
Old 19th April 2021, 21:46   #164
Senior - BHPian

I have been driving 4-wheelers since the past 20 years but never ever barefoot.

Depending upon the travel distance & time expected, I try to, however, wear different types of footwear - shoes, sandals etc., - always something that provides a snug yet comfortable grip to the foot.

Driving barefoot, IMO, is quite susceptible to injury for the foot /toe and subsequently loss of control while driving.
Old 19th April 2021, 22:01   #165
Senior - BHPian

I have been driving for 15 years ( Barefoot almost always ). For me it gives me a feel of the vehicle directly.

Long distance driving is always done barefeet and i carry shoes in boot, but wear slippers when getting inside car ( To eventually remove them while driving ).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks