Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2022, 11:57   #31
BHPian

re: Must-have features in Google Maps

No offences, but a good brain is a must have to use Google maps. I mean they are so dumb and it feels like that we are being forced to use them. Govt needs to act fast and impose big fines on companies which throttle other's innovations. G maps have taken me to dead ends, narrow lanes fit that fit only for 2 wheelers inspite of knowing I'm driving a car. It has been asking me to drive on an incomplete bridge since last 6 months to avoid traffic. I live near the bridge, so I know but how many people actually know its not complete and there's no road connecting to it from one end. Within 5 minutes one can find himself off the expressway/major highway and on a single lane Village road, all thanks to stupid G-maps

I see no major improvement in maps while driving since Nokia Maps that I was using in late 2000's. It just G-maps are pre-loaded on most phones, that we are being forced to use it.

I won't be surprised if billion dollar fines would be imposed on Google year after year for monopolistic business practices.

I would have come up with suggestions to improve G-maps but every time I have written to Google, they have asked for feedback on their support without providing support.

As a matter of personal protest, I have started using mapmyindia after a long time again.

Please start a thread for competition too.
Tucker48 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2022, 12:17   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
+1

Also, if I am not mistaken, if GMaps becomes aware of bottlenecks, it will suggest an alternative route at runtime, in navigation mode.
Not always true! In my case in Mumbai during heavy rains one of the roads was experiencing heavy traffic and GMaps didn’t alert me of an alternate route during my trip!

Also if you’ve noticed the traffic congestion on the maps are updated as you approach the congested area. For Eg., when you start your journey the maps may show “all clear”. But In case of a congestion the route changes color
From blue (clear) to maroon (congestion) or Dark Red (Heavy congestion).

https://www.wired.com/story/99-phone...s-traffic-jam/
This should make an interesting read on how to trick Google Maps
cdrajeevkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2022, 12:27   #33
BHPian

I'd like to see a feature that does not change the route if the time saving is <customizable minutes>. Also as pointed out in earlier posts, a route that has lower number of traffic lights since you cannot predict if you get a green or red. I believe Gmaps assumes green all the way (though factoring in traffic pattern).

Maybe a 'surprise me' feature that takes you on a route less travelled still getting you to destination with time to spare. There have been times I have seen stores/shops selling very specific products/services on streets that otherwise I would have never driven on.

Lastly, a subscription model directing you on a better route while the free mode will get you the one everyone else is using.
Old 31st December 2022, 14:19   #34
BHPian

One interesting feature on Google Maps that I use is 'Add route to home screen'. It is like a shortcut to maps without having to enter the same To & From locations everytime.

You can enter say you Work & Home locations as To & From, and then add route to home screen. Whenever you start your daily commute, you just have to open this shortcut and it shows current traffic conditions on different routes so you take the best one at that point. You can add stops, reverse from & to locations and use all other features too.
TallBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2022, 18:35   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
. So:

1. If I deviate from your selected route, respect my choice and reroute me. Don't try to find newer and innovative ways of pulling me back to your original chosen route.

2. If you find a "faster route" just inform me and when I ignore you, sulk - but don't automatically reroute.

3. Give me an option to pin my drive via a route - which is a directive to you to stay on that route and not even look if alternatives exist.

4. Inform me well in advance of congestion, and not after you've made sure I've passed past all possible alternatives.

5. I have disabled "Avoid tolls" for a reason. You don't have to show me toll avoidance dirt roads each of which would add 1h+ to my journey time and pollute my screen.

And my biggest problem now - please bring back the option to disable Labels (which would remove POIs, yellow/white road indicators and a bunch of other stuff from satellite view).
You listed all my grievances and summed them up well! Sometimes I feel I end up losing peace of mind and tons of physical energy when I stick to what gmaps suggests. A few things I noticed / want:
1. Option to choose the make/model of my car so that a suitable route is suggested. I can not tell you how many times Google has routed me through shitty routes in Bombay where taking a Marazzo is just scary! Some bylanes are just not worth it even if they save 30mins.
2. Never ever have i managed to reach in the time gmaps suggests at the start of the journey. I understand all the realtime logic that gets thrown but 1hr should be 1hr and not 1hr20mins. Somehow I have learnt now that I cant trust gmaps with travel time.

With the 2 points above, i refuse now to trust gmaps and only take the suggestion when i want to. Like i was driving back from Mumbai yday on Expressway and it was showing a 45+min congestion around the ghat section leading to Amrutanjan bridge. Kept saying this is still the fastest route and yet I could see that wasn't going to be the case. I got off the expressway on a small exit towards lonavala, went thru and joined back the expressway after lonavala and all that in 20mins.

Sometimes, nothing beats rolling down your window and asking a local or simply following an Ola/Uber cab.

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 31st December 2022 at 18:37.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2022, 20:23   #36
BHPian

I've used "Google Maps Beta/ Local Guides" for a long time, which means some of the changes you see on Google Maps could've been due to.... yup, my effort. I've been suggesting things to the development team directly, however the thing is, it was a secret kind of thing.
Please search on play store or internet, if you can get hold of this Local Guides app. The feedback is taken seriously by the devs, I assure you.

I've stopped using it after somebody made me aware on the huge amount of data that Google has on us, and the repercussions it may have.
Samarth 619 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2022, 22:47   #37
BHPian

Tracking the MSL/Elevation of our path

Interestingly, I was discussing with a friend about a feature in the Maps ( especially on the Android Auto) where the Mean Sea Level of the Place shall be displayed throughout the journey and after the end of the trip, the Elevation Differential can be displayed.

It would pique the curiosity, especially for the ones who are interested in the geography.

Further, the mileage readings would also make more sense ( especially between two places, when the journey from A to B turns out to be more Fuel Efficient than the return journey of B to A )

Of course, it is not a must have feature, but a nice to have.

If there are any other apps that track and project the MSL on the Maps of Android Auto, please point !
poised2drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2023, 02:34   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVER-ARROW View Post

One feature I find missing on google maps in mobile is an option to drag the blue line of the proposed route and place it on other road, this feature is available on desktop.
You have to click on the distance&time icon displayed for the route of your choice to change the route in mobile view.
Attached Thumbnails
Must-have features in Google Maps-screenshot_20230101_023730.jpg  

Last edited by deemash : 1st January 2023 at 02:39.
Old 1st January 2023, 10:29   #39
BHPian

Re: Must-have features in Google Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post
*SNIP*

Further, the mileage readings would also make more sense ( especially between two places, when the journey from A to B turns out to be more Fuel Efficient than the return journey of B to A ) *SNIP*
This is very true of BLR-MAA-BLR. BLR is almost one km above MSL. BLR-MAA gives better fuel economy than MAA-BLR.

Cheers

Last edited by tilt : 1st January 2023 at 10:31.
Old 1st January 2023, 14:43   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samarth 619 View Post
I've used "Google Maps Beta/ Local Guides" for a long time, which means some of the changes you see on Google Maps could've been due to.... yup, my effort. I've been suggesting things to the development team directly, however the thing is, it was a secret kind of thing.
Please search on play store or internet, if you can get hold of this Local Guides app. The feedback is taken seriously by the devs, I assure you.

I've stopped using it after somebody made me aware on the huge amount of data that Google has on us, and the repercussions it may have.
Even I got the option for becoming a local guide too but I also refused due to the same privacy reasons. But since you are saying that they take your feedback pretty seriously if you enroll for it, isn't it a trade-off which would be worth it since we can actually ‘correct’ the things which we always wanted to?
Old 1st January 2023, 17:20   #41
Senior - BHPian

Valid points of a relevant topic, sharpening G map usage is very welcome.

One quirk observed is that G maps sometimes does not detect if one is atop the flyover or in the service road directly below the flyover. It then gets confused when one is looking to take that U turn below the flyover (you can see it but the map doesn't show it)
Must-have features in Google Maps-screenshot_20230101171249.png

I usually add stops and save it as a route for a day long drive, crossing out stops one by one. If I exit navigation mid way and look to resume my (saved) route, I would like Google's intelligence to figure out where I am and which stops ahead apply (rather than the ones which have passed). I have been manually editing my saved route for such

Lastly, does anyone know if Android Auto allows one to add stops on the infotainment screen? (Or is it possible only on a phone?)
Old 2nd January 2023, 09:11   #42
BHPian

I keep thinking why can't Google implement something like below to avoid sending cars into narrow lanes. I think the main issue today is Google sends cars into lanes that local bikers take because it doesn't differentiate vehicle type. Google should track vehicle type (read enforce) and come up with routes suitable for each vehicle type. It can be easily done by asking the user to mandatorily select between a car or a bike or truck, when user launches the app the very first time. From there on, Google will know which vehicle type is using which lanes, and if cars or trucks are avoiding certain lanes then not suggest them to other drivers. Another powerful way is differentiate between local guides vs newbie to certain city or town. See/analyze what routes local guides are using to better know road conditions. Also provide an option to avoid suggesting bylanes or sticking to "divided" roads etc.

Another thing that Google needs to improve is navigating at grade seperators like flyovers or underpasses. Google just says slight right, slight left sometimes and it's mostly confusing. Drivers or navigators beside drivers have to take decisions on the fly whether to take the flyover or not. Google maps in the US used to specifically say to keep left or keep right at the fork. For me at least, saying "at the fork" is very clear indication that road is splitting into two like a Y and it is clear if I have to keep right or keep left. This should be brought to India.

Last edited by Comrade : 2nd January 2023 at 09:16.
Comrade is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2023, 11:22   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
I keep thinking why can't Google implement something like below to avoid sending cars into narrow lanes. I think the main issue today is Google sends cars into lanes that local bikers take because it doesn't differentiate vehicle type. Google should track vehicle type (read enforce) and come up with routes suitable for each vehicle type. It can be easily done by asking the user to mandatorily select between a car or a bike or truck, when user launches the app the very first time. From there on, Google will know which vehicle type is using which lanes, and if cars or trucks are avoiding certain lanes then not suggest them to other drivers.
It already does today. When you start a ride you have to choose whether you are on a bike or car. Depending on whether you select bike or car the route suggested is different.
I *think* Google also can detect if a user is on a bike but selected car while navigating based on the movement patterns - that's how it actually is fairly accurate and does not solely rely on the users input.
Old 2nd January 2023, 12:32   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
It already does today. When you start a ride you have to choose whether you are on a bike or car. Depending on whether you select bike or car the route suggested is different.
Current feature only works if user has selected motorcycle and only while using 'navigation'. I am confident not many would choose motorcycle even when riding. Also, *I think* Google collects location details from other devices as well (at least those who agree to share) even when not using navigation for its AI based routing, traffic patterns, commuter patterns etc. Here I am not sure how Google is able to detect vehicle type. Hence my suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
I *think* Google also can detect if a user is on a bike but selected car while navigating based on the movement patterns - that's how it actually is fairly accurate and does not solely rely on the users input.
My experience and many others on the forum & friends has been quite opposite. Many times I have been suggested to take narrow bylanes fit only for motorcyles. Many times I have been asked to pass barricades for U-turns which motorcyclists were successfully tackling. It's just my observation that today Google is not able to differentiate between motorcycle-only routes vs wide-enough carriageways.
Old 2nd January 2023, 13:00   #45
BHPian

Display Speed limits on Carplay/Android Auto without turning on 'navigation'.

Speedometer on IOS/Carplay.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks