Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2023, 22:19   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Presso catches fire; woman in labour & husband succumb to injuries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
While those 2 are dead, I can't even imagine the plight and mental agony of those survivors who were unfortunate to look at their loved ones helpless.
I would say three lives as the lady was pregnant, in labour and on the way to the hospital for delivery.

Quote:
On the other hand, the accessories shop owner should be arrested and punished and the shop should be sealed permanently for such a shoddy, irresponsible, and unprofessional work.
We still do not know the exact cause of fire. Besides it may be very difficult to prove the same. If the authorities or Maruti really want to know the actual cause, they must hire some experts to examine the car. I feel over a period of time this will be just like any other accident and people will eventually forget about it.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 22:53   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
You can see from the below images to understand how during a fire these parts may start to melt resulting in situations where one is unable to open the doors, whether from inside or outside.
Is there any way to assess fire hazard safety of a car or is there any law requiring specific design that manufacturers need to follow? How can such a critical part be made of plastic that melt away fist thing during a fire preventing even a rescue attempt from outside?
Old 6th February 2023, 00:14   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconRed View Post
I'm freaked out right now... I have child lock on both of my rear door as a safety precaution as my kid always travel on Child Seat or mother lap in case if she is feeding.

And these child lock can only be opened from outside. In these kind of accident how will the rear passanger get out if child lock is engaged.

Should I remove the child lock or during emergency the car is smart enough to disengage child lock itself and let the rear passenger open the door from inside.

I drive 2019 i20.
If it's not an infant that is not capable of understanding what you ask it to do, keep it on. My overactive son had reached far to press the unlock button, and triggered the door open alarm.

For kids who can understand, no point keeping child lock on. Disable it so they can get out when it's needed. First have a talk about seriousness of fiddling with the door locks when car is moving, and the importance of not distracting the driver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
One of the best places is to permanently fix the hammer on the centre pillar on the left or right or both sides, away from the front seat belt fixture. This is subject to confirmation from your ASC to confirm that it will not hamper the deployment of side airbags and that no wires are going from behind. All cars are different.
Industrial strength velcro works great with out messing with wires, airbags, & holes. But, somewhere under the seat or glove box, is better, so that this hammer does not go flying around in a crash.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 6th February 2023 at 00:19.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 09:27   #64
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

It’s a very sad incident. Avoidable if the following is taken care of:
1. Never tinker with the original factory fitted wiring of the car.
2. Always keep a hammer and seat belt cutter (combo) at accessible place in the car.
3. Do not risk your or co-passengers life if there’s a slightest doubt of smoke or sporadic behavior of the car.
4. (For the manufacturers and govt. regulation) In any event, car crash, flooding, fire or stalling of the car either automatic mechanism need to be provided to open all car doors or a single manual lever for the driver to trigger that mechanism.
The lock mechanism must be made fire proof and at no point should it give up.
RunGaDa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 11:33   #65
BHPian

Can someone please paste an Indian link where we can buy a reliable emergency tool like the ones posted a few posts above? It would be really helpful to those who have not bought and are confused looking at Amazon/Flipkart.
Old 6th February 2023, 11:37   #66
Senior - BHPian

Does it make sense to keep a (small) fire extinguisher in the car? I have seen some fleet cabs contracted by corporates having these in place near the front passenger footwell

Last edited by GeeTee TSI : 6th February 2023 at 11:38.
Old 6th February 2023, 12:50   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Can someone please paste an Indian link where we can buy a reliable emergency tool like the ones posted a few posts above? It would be really helpful to those who have not bought and are confused looking at Amazon/Flipkart.
Here is the Amazon link: https://amzn.eu/d/94JeyHn
Also check out post #54 (video) and #57 in this thread for more details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
Does it make sense to keep a (small) fire extinguisher in the car? I have seen some fleet cabs contracted by corporates having these in place near the front passenger footwell
Please check post #23 in the same thread. Always remember if the fire is inside the cabin, you must evacuate the car first.

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 6th February 2023 at 12:52.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 14:51   #68
BHPian

On an unrelated note, Came across news of another car on fire, which co incidentally is a Maruti as well. An S-Cross from what I can see. Kudos to the SSP and his QRT for the swift reaction.https://www.indiatoday.in/india/jhar...847-2023-02-06
Old 6th February 2023, 15:38   #69
BHPian

I need to say, nowadays a lot of incidents and accidents are happening to cars from the Maruti stable. First are those crash test results, then the seat belt issues, then airbag issues, and now fires caused due to short circuits. The former three are concerns regarding to Maruti Suzuki's QC and safety aspects, which have already dented their reputation, and now these incidents. It's like adding salt to injury.
Short circuits in these cases are not a fault of the brand, but a fault caused due to improper, ill-fitment and carelessness of the aftermarket products and their providers which are damaging Maruti's reputation even more. People always talk about Maruti's being tin cans, and now I think they will be called inflammable perfume cans.
This is outright sad for the people who have been injured and lost their lives due to these short circuits, but mind you, do not blame the brand and their cars for this. I am not speaking for the company, but spreading awareness and understanding to the people who say that fires are caused because of lack of safety. I do not think a Tata car owner would have survived the same incident which happened to the S-Presso.
So once again, it is the fault of the aftermarket parts providers, and not the car or the brand.
Old 6th February 2023, 16:19   #70
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Quite a tragedy that is. Especially when hearing that the couple leaves behind an elder daughter.

Isn't that quite surprising. That the doors getting jammed in the event of a fire and probably due to the central locking control circuits are damaged. But why is there no a redundancy in the design where the door can be opened from inside under whatever circumstances.
My deepest condolences for the family. Its so tragic.

Manufacturers like VW and Ford offer the ability to open the doors from the inside without unlocking them or using any levers. People made fun of these manufacturers when they introduced this safety feature, claiming that it was dangerous and that passengers would open it by accident. People don't understand how crucial this feature is until they learn about these accidents.
Krish_Diesel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 17:48   #71
BHPian

Noticed an Espresso cab stranded in the signal 2 days ago. As per driver, due to gear-shift issue, he was unable to move the vehicle. Not sure if this is a one-off case.
VaahanYogi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 20:42   #72
BHPian

Om Shanti for the ones who left us all.
Please educate which all car doors CAN be opened even when the central door locking mechanism locks the door.
For example, in our corolla, the central locks all the doors but any individual can open the doors after unlocking the button and pulling the door. This is a safety feature and useful as long as child lock is not enabled.
Today, in our Altroz I have the same but any advise how to override the child lock if enabled. Once the central lock, locks the doors, then child lock enabled door can be opened from outside only.
Altrozed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 21:48   #73

Shocking and unfortunate incident.
Looking at the photo in the news paper with the massive flames, is very disturbing.

Some time back One of my friends was driving a petrol i20, which skidded off the high way and turned turtle. As per his version the car was engulfed in fire in about one minute, fortunately as the windows were rolled down, he and the co-passenger were able to get out, with minor burns. The car was completely damaged in the fire.

Fire burns oxygen, so as a fire continues to be active, more oxygen gets removed from the cars cabin. Smoke emits high volume of carbon monoxide which enters lungs, and causes one to disorientate and pass out.

My car has a factory fitted fire extinguisher ahead of the front driver seat, I think fire extinguisher should me made mandatory in all new cars, this way there is some chance that owners of cars in the close proximity of the accident, can use their cars fire extinguisher to help others in distress.
Old 6th February 2023, 22:23   #74
BHPian

Damn! This is so sad. Om Shanti for the three lives, deepest condolences to their loved ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altrozed View Post
Please educate which all car doors CAN be opened even when the central door locking mechanism locks the door.
From what I understand, our Ecosport has this feature. Any of the doors can be unlocked by pulling the lever on the door.
da_lowrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 02:29   #75
BHPian

While many are blaming Maruti for its quality but we must focus on the cause of the accident instead of generalized comment on Maruti cars quality.

Rishab pant had an accident, his Mercedes was up in flames in seconds and was a total loss. I hardly saw much discussion on Mercedes built quality. Another similar accident happened with Mercedes in NCR sometime back.
So Mercedes or Maruti, an accident is an accident. All accidents must be thoroughly probed without any biases or prejudice.
Ton Ami is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks