Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2007, 13:03   #1
Team-BHP Support

Car Got Knocked - My First Experience At That!

I was behind a Qualis who was tailing him wanting to overtake. Suddenly the Truck stops, Qualis brakes and I had about half a car length distance between us. The entire traffic came to a halt on Ahmednagar road (I was heading to Shirdi). I see the rear view mirrors to find a guy without a helmet zooming down this road and right in the center of my RVM. I knew he was going to bang into me because he had nowhere to to go. Shifted to neutral honked to get the Qualis moving and released the brake. The stupid biker did not attempt to brake at all! crashed bang into my cars rear on the LHS. Pillion flew over the rider and hit his head on the tail lamp and the bike almost did a stoppie on the impact.

Traffic started moving after this. I pulled over to see two guys badly hurt. My friend came out to help too but before we approached the injured one of them got up to hold my collar to ask me "how I was driving" (with some colourful suffixes) . I was stationary and the entire crowd who gathered vouched for it. I have a badly bruised bumper and a broken tail lamp. What happened to the guys is not worth a mention but they did not get any medical attention which I intended to offer. They needed more attention after we left. I am sorry if you guys think what I did was wrong. I forgave them for damaging my car and even offered to drive them to the nearest hospital to offer medical help but they didn't deserve it.

This is the first incident in 5 years of my legal driving experience where I was hit this hard while driving a car. And this is how the car looked after the accident in which we were hit on a 4 lane highway at a very high speed. I coulldn't judge the extent of damage owing to a dirty car but this is how it looked:

After a wash at the service center:

It hurts when something like this happens to a member of your family :x
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2007, 13:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

Bad experience there moralfibre. Thank god the whole incident didn't turn ugly, the car doesn't look to be in a bad shape. Kudos to fiat's solid build.
Old 30th July 2007, 14:00   #3
BHPian

Real bad experience for a no fault of yours. And so stupid of them to bang from behind & giving a mouthful at you!!

Hope the car is in good shape now.
Old 30th July 2007, 14:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to know about this incident!

It hurts to get involved in a mishap for no mistake of ours!
You did the right thing by 1. Stopping over to check the well-being of those 2 bike guys. 2. Ignoring them whey were acting too smart!

Well, your bumper seems alright, but the LHS Tail-lamp needs to be replaced.

Last edited by finneyp : 30th July 2007 at 14:07.
Old 30th July 2007, 14:16   #5
Senior - BHPian

wow- what audacity - first bang - and then blame. Good thing you left them as is, and made them fend for themselves.
Old 30th July 2007, 14:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

*** was this biker doing when everyone had stopped ? was he trying to squeeze past your car ? I had a very similar incident when an auto failed to stop & hit my bumper at 25kph. Just 2 words from him 'brake failure'.
Old 30th July 2007, 14:40   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
*** was this biker doing when everyone had stopped ? was he trying to squeeze past your car ? I had a very similar incident when an auto failed to stop & hit my bumper at 25kph. Just 2 words from him 'brake failure'.
He was trying to swerve left from extreme right as the state in which I looked at him. I was in the right lane slightly close to the white lines on my left and then a car zoomed by in the left so this biker couldn't manage a clean sweep into the left and ended up in my tail. I didn't even see any skid marks on the road which implies that he did not attempt to brake. Big idiot that!
Old 30th July 2007, 14:44   #8
BHPian

2wheel morons exist all over India.
A week ago I was driving on my Karizma towards MGRoad from Forum and a Pulsar with a pillion overtakes me from the left very closely and in the process manages to hit my lhs mirror with pillions hand.
I managed to say "hare bhai"
He stops and shouts at me "dont drive this fast" in kannada, I held my nerves and let him go realising its no good to fight with these people.

God save Us.
Old 30th July 2007, 14:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
wow- what audacity - first bang - and then blame. Good thing you left them as is, and made them fend for themselves.
I don't think MF left them as is .. But then, they deserved nothing better !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
They needed more attention after we left.
Old 30th July 2007, 15:04   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
I don't think MF left them as is .. But then, they deserved nothing better !!
Hehehe Well I am not to strong to hit someone and don't even have the guts to do so unless a situation prevails. We just touched their wounds and asked them if it hurt. But did nothing like getting out with a base ball stick and all .
Old 30th July 2007, 15:07   #11
Team-BHP Support

Tough luck, but could have been much worse. How much would a new taillight set you back?

Quote:
We just touched their wounds and asked them if it hurt.
hahaha! Nice way to get back at them eh!
Old 30th July 2007, 15:14   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Tough luck, but could have been much worse. How much would a new taillight set you back?
Would have been around Rs. 900/- for the GTX light (Comes without a separate brake light) but this one is around Rs.1000/= bucks due to the additional bulb and holder in the fourth slot. I am trying to get someone in Bombay check the price because I heard that it costs around Rs. 600/- at City Motors.

Quote:
hahaha! Nice way to get back at them eh!
The first time I have seen the crowd help a car owner instead of the biker and thankfully I wasn't a victim of mob fury this time. Trust me you wouldn't want to be in a situation as this especially when my friends family was in the back seat. For a moment I had thought this guys to enter the car through the boot glass.
Old 30th July 2007, 15:17   #13
BHPian

Hey Moralfibre, sorry to hear about the adventure that you had.

Can the bumper be repaired or you planning to change it.

I also met with an accident and got my front bumper changed under insurance.

It cost me Rs 2038 without the paint job
Old 30th July 2007, 15:24   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapilsharma80 View Post
Can the bumper be repaired or you planning to change it.
There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with the bumper. It took the impact well. It shifted slightly say by a few mm to the right which only identifiable after seeing the four black screws after lifting the boot lid. If you observed in one of the pictures it has even come down by a few mm which can be put back by realigning the bumper. I can live with those few scratches I have but I will get the bumper painted soon. Checked the bumper mounting by taking the car on the ramp and they are intact too.

Quote:
I also met with an accident and got my front bumper changed under insurance.
It cost me Rs 2038 without the paint job
I won't be claiming insurance because this is my first year with the car and the price I will pay for the tail lamp and the bumper is not much. The bumper you bought is expensive. I think it is much cheaper than what you bought it for.
Old 30th July 2007, 15:34   #15
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
He was trying to swerve left from extreme right as the state in which I looked at him. I was in the right lane slightly close to the white lines on my left and then a car zoomed by in the left so this biker couldn't manage a clean sweep into the left and ended up in my tail. I didn't even see any skid marks on the road which implies that he did not attempt to brake. Big idiot that!
Didn't the biker have any space to cut into on your right side, considering that you were close to the white liines on your left? That would have been more natural if he was in the extreme right side of the lane. In any case he should have braked, no doubt about that.

If the biker was doing a high speed shouldn't there have been at least a dent on your rear? I don't see any. The Qualis has very good brakes as does its successor, the Innova. In my experience these guys have a habit of braking hard and at the last possible moment, putting those behind them in trouble.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks