Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2007, 11:29   #16
Senior - BHPian

Perhaps a printout of this particular page shown to the RTO thug will suffice and take that Rs 100 challan and write to the Commissioner of Transport with his name for undue harassment.

Can you post the link of that page, it will be helpful for the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWN View Post
All i can get from the Karnataka RTO website is that 100 Rs is the fine fo driving an oter state vehicle without paying taxes....... but i dont understand why people are charged 500plus with challan when they get caught.
Old 30th August 2007, 11:59   #17
BWN
BHPian

Hi guys,

Pls follow this link Fees* pertaining to Driving Licence to get more info on Taxation details, fines and various other details.Hope this will be helpfull in case.This is the website of Karnataka State RTO.
Thanks
Old 31st August 2007, 11:33   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
is it possible to pay tax for 1 year / 2 years and drive in a different state without changing the regn number....

my car is originally a KL reg vehicle - when i got transferred to TN - and since the company was bearing all costs - i got it registered in TN with a TN number...

now im changing jobs and heading up north to GURGAON - i personally dont want to bear the cost of the transfer

can u still legally drive the vehicle in Gurgaon with a TN number by paying a nominal tax ???
You would have to pay LTT proportionate to the age of your car. You can also get a refund of the tax paid in TN/KL. There is no nominal amount, all are atrocious amounts. Stupid rules. Last i knew, this was one country.
Old 31st August 2007, 11:52   #19
BHPian

It is big hurdle to get refund, finally you'll be forced to give up.
Old 31st August 2007, 12:58   #20
BHPian

Refund

never ever you will get the refund. pay money to any govt office and it is a one way traffic
Old 31st August 2007, 13:07   #21
Senior - BHPian

btw, nobody stops you for road tax payment between the states in the north, there the Octroi checkposts check only for private vehicles carrying goods etc but never seen an RTO guy checking personal cars for RT.
Old 31st August 2007, 13:38   #22
BHPian

Quote:
You are right.There is a provision of getting a receipt by paying a nominal fess( Rs 35 for a car i think) from the border RTO checkpost, but we are not very clear about its use and validity.
There is no provision like that in karnataka. Yes, they charge a similar amount for a Taxi ( yelloe board). I drive regulary between Bangalore and Calicut, at the boarder they dont even bother to look at the vehicle. They just lift the barricade if it is white board car.

Coming back to the topic, yes its difficult to have out state registration in Bangalore. Even if you have the proofs they harass you in the night, all you need is to be smart. I drove my KL registered Wagon R for more than 3 years without paying any road tax. Also there is no yearly road tax in Karanataka. Only Life time tax which is to be paid proportinately to the age of the vehicle. Central Govt employees and Army pesonnel are exempted from paying road tax if they have out station vehicles.
Old 31st August 2007, 13:57   #23
BWN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilashvk View Post
Coming back to the topic, yes its difficult to have out state registration in Bangalore. Even if you have the proofs they harass you in the night, all you need is to be smart. I drove my KL registered Wagon R for more than 3 years without paying any road tax. Also there is no yearly road tax in Karanataka. Only Life time tax which is to be paid proportinately to the age of the vehicle. Central Govt employees and Army pesonnel are exempted from paying road tax if they have out station vehicles.
How should we be smart ? Any tips ?
Old 31st August 2007, 15:01   #24
BHPian

Step One: Avoid all roads that have RTO checking, Generally they have their offices near BDA complex and checking happens there.(Eg: Indiranagar - old madras road, Koramanagala - 80 Ft road etc) If I have to go to whitefield i take airport road iven it means more traffic and distance.
Step 2: have some documents to prove that you are visitor . I go home once in 2-3 months and every time I get a new no pollution certificate, so you are always armed with NPC which are less than 3 months old. I also get some petrol bills from Kerala to add to that
Step 3: Never jump signals or break any rules. generally during the day time in the traffic they hardly have time to check vehicles unless you are caught for jumping a signal. Also avoid drunk and drive in the night.If you are take bylanes, cross roads and avoid main roads(Eg: Indiranagar)
Step 4: Always keep a couple of Rs 10 and a Rs.50 notes in the car (so that you dont spend it) for bribing. Start with paying a Rs.20 note and nego. Once i ended up paying a cop Rs.100 because i did not have change.

Also note that the cops do not have the authority to seize/demand for road tax. Only an RTO has (As per one of my friend who has a relative working at RTO office) So if a cop harass you, be bold and say that you are a visitor and you cannot pay anything.

I managed not to pay any road tax for mare than 3 years. I was caught twice, but managed to getway once by paying Rs.100. Hope this give you some idea.
Old 31st August 2007, 16:14   #25
Senior - BHPian

, bribing is the best way to get out of everything in India, learn it.

Quote:
I managed not to pay any road tax for mare than 3 years. I was caught twice, but managed to getway once by paying Rs.100. Hope this give you some idea.
Old 31st August 2007, 16:27   #26
BHPian

This is encyclopedia !! Thanks for tips. I hope it is same in TN too, I can follow it if I happen to visit there for sometime.

Quote:
Step One: Avoid all roads that have RTO checking, Generally they have their offices near BDA complex and checking happens there.(Eg: Indiranagar - old madras road, Koramanagala - 80 Ft road etc) If I have to go to whitefield i take airport road iven it means more traffic and distance.
Step 2: have some documents to prove that you are visitor . I go home once in 2-3 months and every time I get a new no pollution certificate, so you are always armed with NPC which are less than 3 months old. I also get some petrol bills from Kerala to add to that
Step 3: Never jump signals or break any rules. generally during the day time in the traffic they hardly have time to check vehicles unless you are caught for jumping a signal. Also avoid drunk and drive in the night.If you are take bylanes, cross roads and avoid main roads(Eg: Indiranagar)
Step 4: Always keep a couple of Rs 10 and a Rs.50 notes in the car (so that you dont spend it) for bribing. Start with paying a Rs.20 note and nego. Once i ended up paying a cop Rs.100 because i did not have change.

Also note that the cops do not have the authority to seize/demand for road tax. Only an RTO has (As per one of my friend who has a relative working at RTO office) So if a cop harass you, be bold and say that you are a visitor and you cannot pay anything.

Old 31st August 2007, 16:58   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You must be joking dude, gone are those days when cops would settle for a paltry 20/50 bucks note. Things have gotten expensive in bangy.
Old 31st August 2007, 17:27   #28
BHPian

Quote:
You must be joking dude, gone are those days when cops would settle for a paltry 20/50 bucks note. Things have gotten expensive in bangy.
I am not joking, one of my friend managed to get get away with paying Rs.17 for one way traffic offence. He had a ten rupee note and few one rupee coins in his wallet and the cop accepted it! Thats why I crib that i had to pay Rs100 because I did not have change on that day.
Old 31st August 2007, 17:30   #29
BHPian

Also to add, try to keep the right lane if you go anywhere around the RTO checking. Vehicles on the left lane are more prone for checking in the heay traffic !
Old 1st September 2007, 10:21   #30
Senior - BHPian

I read with interest and amusement all the posts related to this RTO robbery. Here in North and also in West I've done a lot of interstate in my various vehicles that had/have Regn Numbers from DL to HR to MH, and never once I was stopped either by the cops or the RTO guys.

Only once last year enroute to Mumbai I was stopped near Ankleshwar by cops who had this local traffic drive of 1/2 blackening of the HLs. I argued my way out saying that I as an out of state tourist and passing through am not supposed to know about such drives and on the contrary it is the onus of the local authorities to prominently place an ad in all the National Dailies for the benefit of travellers such as me. The cops thought it was better to let me go than have a scene created on the highway that was half blocked by my Safari..

One more thing that I was thinking was will the carrying of a printout of the State department transport rules guiding the fines would help for persons who quite often do Interstate with different registration numbers?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks