Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2007, 14:45   #1
Senior - BHPian

Old driver beaten up, reason - lady driver sympathy!

I am not sure if a similar thread exists, but this is based on a street experiece that went like this:

On a Saturday evening, in Hyderabad, where traffic is crowded like you need to have a good measure of 10"X10" before you think of putting your step somewhere, I was going to Begumpet from Yousufguda.

At the Yousufguda junction, there was an Indica coming from Ameerpet, stopped because of the signal at the junction and the driver was trying to take a U-turn (towards Punjagutta). The traffic from the opposite side was flowing as usual, since they had the green. A lady driver, driving an Indica rammed into this Indica that was taking a U-turn (I hope you get the scene). The front bumpers of both cars were broken and the lady driver stopped the car and continued to sit inside the car. The passengers in the U-turn taking Indica got out and I saw that it was chauffer driven. The owner was about 25-30 year old and the driver was in his mid 50's. The owner of the car started beating up his old driver right in the middle of the road.

The public, however, continued to look at the incident as though it was a common thing to have 'sympathy' for lady drivers. One of them said "It is common, when a lady driver is involved, the other driver (male) gets this".

In this case, it was wrong on the part of the old driver to take a U-turn. But, I have seen incidents where women who can hardly handle a two-wheeler and get their Kinetics and Scootys and keep them dangling on the road and when they meet with an accident, the other driver is beaten up.

Agreed, the old driver erred. But was it so bad that the owner had to beat him up till his nose bled? I walked up to the owner and I said "Sir, let go of him. Mistakes do happen. Don't you see he is an old man, I am not trying to advise, but it is a sincere request".

The owner said "You don't know, sir, these people think all these spares come for free. And moreover, it is a lady driver on the other side".

Any comments?

Last edited by rocksterraghu : 14th September 2007 at 14:49.
Old 14th September 2007, 14:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

Well these are some of the unwritten rules of India
Accident between pedestrian and two wheeler - two wheeler's fault
" " two wheelers and four wheeler - four wheeler's fault
" " four wheeler and six wheeler - six wheeler's fault.
" " Male and female driver - Male driver's fault.
Old 14th September 2007, 15:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

first of all i found it a bit confusing - why would the owner beat up his own driver?

if the lady driver was at fault - i would have deflated all the tyres of the Indica driven by the lady.

come on - mistakes do happen - there was no point in beating up the old guy and that too your own driver. probably the guy was trying to show off in front of the lady and apparently encouraging the lady driver to continue ramming into others' cars.

by the way:
1. this is also common in Kolkata
2. Panjagutta intersection is very dangerous - IMO the police station @ the crossing takes pleasure in towing off the cars / bikes from Road No1.
Old 14th September 2007, 15:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

man thats scary. i was sitting in a car with a friend (lady driver) she was and drives always like a maniac. she very nonchalantly commented - oh- i just cut, its the other guys problem to stop, the crowd always takes my side. my blood was boiling. after that day - i have refused to sit in her car. How and why do they have such attitudes?

I was driving back home one day, and i had to take a right turn at a T junction. The turn into which I had to go to, had an auto driver in the middle of the road (in his lane) suddenly a lady in a two wheeler comes from his right and stops in front of him. There is a car in front of me, and neither he nor I can turn because she is in the way. I guess he was so pissed off- he took the turn, and gently scraped the back of her scooter. As expected, she lost her balance and and put her feet down. She could not hold up the scooter, and it slipped, scratching the auto. Well, the auto-driver got so pissed of- he got out and started screaming at the girl. I did not feel nice at all seeing this, but that stupid woman held up the entire traffic and i think she learnt her lesson - or did she?

Last edited by madan80 : 14th September 2007 at 15:10.
Old 14th September 2007, 15:13   #5
BHPian

Would be interested to see what the female members of TBHP have to say about this?
Old 14th September 2007, 15:20   #6
Team-BHP Support

In this case the owner of the car had his own tensions. His statement "And moreover, it is a lady driver on the other side" was not to show solidarity with the lady driver. He was
1. trying to save his own hide. He did not want to side with his driver and then get beaten up by the people alongwith the driver. The same dastardly acts politicians indulge in for their petty gains.
2. furious on his loss. If it had been a guy in the other car he would have got into a scuffle with him to recover some money or at least to just vent his spleen. Here, with a lady at the helm there was hardly a chance of that happening. So the poor old driver became the casualty.
Old 14th September 2007, 15:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
she very nonchalantly commented - oh- i just cut, its the other guys problem to stop, the crowd always takes my side. my blood was boiling. after that day - i have refused to sit in her car. How and why do they have such attitudes?
oh great! she is just like ETC (my Gf is known to Kolkata gang by that name) - she has the same attitude towards driving - she once said, " i dont care about others - if i am in a hurry, i know how to make my way through" i wonder what that meant and thank god she doesnt drive.
Old 14th September 2007, 15:37   #8
Senior - BHPian

I may be wrong, but if I were in the lady driver's position, I would have avoided the accident in the first place. Come on, this is not a very uncommon thing to see a vehicle right in front of you taking a U-turn when they don't have to. All you have to do is find the right pedal.

Even though, I don't blame her for that, I really didn't like the way she was sitting in the car and watching this like it was giving her a high or something. The least she could do was to go and intervene and save the old man some beating.
Old 14th September 2007, 15:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

See, in Delhi if you encounter a situation like this, best way is to wave a middle finger and way off!
Old 14th September 2007, 16:23   #10
Senior - BHPian

I'm appalled. What has gotten into the youths of today who do not have respect for age? Agreed the driver erred but is that the way to behave? What if the lady driven Indica was driven by a male?

My late grandfather, who was the Municipal commissioner of Varanasi had two drivers - one personal and one official. One day I as a small kid while going to school called for one of them and said - driver, gaadi lao.

On hearing, my grandfather gave me first a verbal lashing and then a physical. Told me that the driver has a name and should be addressed so.

Learnt a lesson of my life. The same has been passed on to the offsprings as well.

People should be treated with respect. Or was the performance of the 23 yr old prompted by the prescence of the female kind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
I am not sure if a similar thread exists, but this is based on a street experiece that went like this:

On a Saturday evening, in Hyderabad, where traffic is crowded like you need to have a good measure of 10"X10" before you think of putting your step somewhere, I was going to Begumpet from Yousufguda.

At the Yousufguda junction, there was an Indica coming from Ameerpet, stopped because of the signal at the junction and the driver was trying to take a U-turn (towards Punjagutta). The traffic from the opposite side was flowing as usual, since they had the green. A lady driver, driving an Indica rammed into this Indica that was taking a U-turn (I hope you get the scene). The front bumpers of both cars were broken and the lady driver stopped the car and continued to sit inside the car. The passengers in the U-turn taking Indica got out and I saw that it was chauffer driven. The owner was about 25-30 year old and the driver was in his mid 50's. The owner of the car started beating up his old driver right in the middle of the road.

The public, however, continued to look at the incident as though it was a common thing to have 'sympathy' for lady drivers. One of them said "It is common, when a lady driver is involved, the other driver (male) gets this".

In this case, it was wrong on the part of the old driver to take a U-turn. But, I have seen incidents where women who can hardly handle a two-wheeler and get their Kinetics and Scootys and keep them dangling on the road and when they meet with an accident, the other driver is beaten up.

Agreed, the old driver erred. But was it so bad that the owner had to beat him up till his nose bled? I walked up to the owner and I said "Sir, let go of him. Mistakes do happen. Don't you see he is an old man, I am not trying to advise, but it is a sincere request".

The owner said "You don't know, sir, these people think all these spares come for free. And moreover, it is a lady driver on the other side".

Any comments?
Old 14th September 2007, 16:52   #11
Senior - BHPian

Since everyone has a doubt whether she was a pretty-looking young girl, I'd like to say that she was about 30 (Isn't difficult to guess a woman's age, but I may be a little mistaken) and may I add, not the 'impressable' types (You know what I mean). And the way she way hugging the steering while seated, I could make out that she was a total n00b.
Old 14th September 2007, 16:59   #12
Senior - BHPian

Wah wah !! This I am hearing for the first time - If it is a Lady Driver - then it is the other bloke's fault !!

Come to Uttar Pradesh ( Read - Agra ) or even Delhi - if someone is involved in an accident and theere is a lady driver involved - people are going to curse the women only - I have seen it so many times - Maybe People in Southern India are more Gentleman types. We in Northern India are unlike

However on a more serious tone, Beating up an old man is ridiculous. Fault or no fault - what in the hell are insurance companies for ???? To the hell with arguing on the streets, when will we ppl learn ?
Old 14th September 2007, 17:08   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Well these are some of the unwritten rules of India
Accident between pedestrian and two wheeler - two wheeler's fault
" " two wheelers and four wheeler - four wheeler's fault
" " four wheeler and six wheeler - six wheeler's fault.
" " Male and female driver - Male driver's fault.
Absolutely true.....
And in all these cases the "PUBLIC" always takes liberty of interfering and sometimes even beating up the driver who "they" think is at fault! And no one can do anything about it!
Old 14th September 2007, 18:38   #14
BHPian

Ridiculous beating up your on driver. Moral of the story... Lets all get ourselves lady drivers
Old 14th September 2007, 18:46   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
The owner was about 25-30 year old and the driver was in his mid 50's. The owner of the car started beating up his old driver right in the middle of the road.

This owner should be booked under attmpted murder & assult case.

If he was in west bengal or kerala he would have seen all the red flagged unions against him.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks