Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2007, 09:01   #1
BHPian

Help needed in Hit and run (Red Scorpio - Numberplate 6184)

Guys,

Need some help. Today morning, my accent was side swiped from the rear by a baldie in a Scoprio at a point where the traffic was running into a bottleneck.

I got down to confront him and seeing my rage he apologized and said that he was trying to avoid an auto. Since we were at the narrowest point and were holding up traffic, he suggested that we move the vehicles to the side and discuss. I complied.

But as he was behind me, he took a right and sped off. By the time I got round, he was nowhere to be seen. This happened opposite urban Tadka in Kandivali East on the W.E.Highway. I searched the entire Thakur village, but could not find him. I even spoke to a traffic cop who said that without his licence plate no, I could do nothing. I only managed to get the last 4 digits.

My mistake was that I did not take a snap of the accident even though I had my mobile cam with me.

Could any of you help me? Am looking for a ruby red scorprio with non-body colored bumpers and whose plate no. ends in 6184.

Will I be able to claim insurance if I do not know who the other party is?
Old 27th September 2007, 10:34   #2
BHPian

Really a very nasty situation......

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmanish76 View Post
Guys,

Need some help. Today morning, my accent was side swiped from the rear by a baldie in a Scoprio at a point where the traffic was running into a bottleneck.

I got down to confront him and seeing my rage he apologized and said that he was trying to avoid an auto. Since we were at the narrowest point and were holding up traffic, he suggested that we move the vehicles to the side and discuss. I complied.

But as he was behind me, he took a right and sped off. By the time I got round, he was nowhere to be seen. This happened opposite urban Tadka in Kandivali East on the W.E.Highway. I searched the entire Thakur village, but could not find him. I even spoke to a traffic cop who said that without his licence plate no, I could do nothing. I only managed to get the last 4 digits.

My mistake was that I did not take a snap of the accident even though I had my mobile cam with me.

Could any of you help me? Am looking for a ruby red scorprio with non-body colored bumpers and whose plate no. ends in 6184.

Getting into these kinda situations for no fault of yours , tats pretty bad yaar ....
I cant help you with your first question but the latter one yes u can claim insurance even tough if you dont know who the other party was ......
Old 27th September 2007, 11:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

Your insurance claim should not be a problem, for the number plate the mumbaikars here might help you.
Old 27th September 2007, 11:39   #4
BHPian

Will I need to file a police complaint or will it be a wasted exercise?

Also does anyone know any reliable workshops which do denting and painting work in Kandivali - Borivali area?
Old 27th September 2007, 12:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

I only managed to get the last 4 digits.

You can do the following. Try and recollect if the number plate was MH01, 02, 03 or 04. You can visit the local RTO accordingly (town for MH01,02 ghatkopar for MH03, Thane for MH04, Kalyan for MH05,06 and Vashi for MH43), and inquire on the number 6184 stating that u want to buy this red scorpio, but want to check if this is stolen or not. For a fee, you just might get the required info on the car's registration address and owner name.
Second step (once u get the info) is to register a FIR -->hit and run on the owner in the nearest police station, this will make him come running to you, to avoid police hassles.

U need to visit the local RTO office, because our RTO is not yet computerized.
Other option may be to get in touch with a frnd in Mumbai police, they have means of identifying the owner from even last 4 digits of vehicle number
Old 27th September 2007, 12:43   #6
Senior - BHPian

the best way to find out is

find some source in any Mahindra dealer and tell your source to search for the number

if there is any service history for the car it shd be very very easily found

go do it
Old 27th September 2007, 13:01   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
the best way to find out is

find some source in any Mahindra dealer and tell your source to search for the number

if there is any service history for the car it shd be very very easily found

go do it
But DO NOT tell them about the hit n run issue (they may not help)...just tell them that you are planning to buy it ( lost the owners address/phone number )or something like that
Old 27th September 2007, 13:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

Similar case.

Even my car (NHC) was side swiped recently by an unknown vehicle while it was parked outside a restaurant where i was having dinner with my friends.
The left side was damaged ,the guard told me that a big car (suv) was involved ,he was not sure about the make/model.
Gave the car at Prime Honda and met with the Insurance companies surveyor (ICICI) ,he insisted that i need to show him the FIR in order to get the whole claim which i did today.
Am waiting for an answer from him now.
So IMHO your first step should be to register an FIR ASAP.
Old 27th September 2007, 13:06   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless_1984 View Post
Gave the car at Prime Honda and met with the Insurance companies surveyor (ICICI) ,he insisted that i need to show him the FIR in order to get the whole claim which i did today.
Am waiting for an answer from him now.
So IMHO your first step should be to register an FIR ASAP.
Why do you need to show an FIR when your claiming from your own insurance? The insurance surveyor is talking plain rubbish.

Following an incident with an auto, where my car had damages, i claimed insurance from Bajaj Allianz - cashless, and also no FIR required.
Old 27th September 2007, 13:37   #10
BHPian

Sorry to hear about the damage. If only the govt would speed up IT penetration in all it's offices. In Indore all you need to do is send an SMS mentioning REG + the registration number to a number provided by the RTO and you get a reply with all details like owner's name,address,chassis and engine nos,type of car,fuel and seating capacity.
Old 27th September 2007, 13:43   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Why do you need to show an FIR when your claiming from your own insurance? The insurance surveyor is talking plain rubbish.

Following an incident with an auto, where my car had damages, i claimed insurance from Bajaj Allianz - cashless, and also no FIR required.
Mine is Bajaj Allianz as well. Can I forgo the complaint? And will they reimburse the entire amount if I get it repaired at a local shop?
Old 27th September 2007, 13:44   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
Sorry to hear about the damage. If only the govt would speed up IT penetration in all it's offices. In Indore all you need to do is send an SMS mentioning REG + the registration number to a number provided by the RTO and you get a reply with all details like owner's name,address,chassis and engine nos,type of car,fuel and seating capacity.

This is really awesome!!! How is that Metros like Bangy/ Mumbai do not have this facility?

Moreover, isnt this privacy invasion? Anyone can get details of anyone's car, just with an SMS?
Old 27th September 2007, 13:52   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thats what i told him but he said `sir MY company asks for an FIR in such cases`.
So i thought its better not to argue with this guy so i got him the FIR.
Now lets see what excuse he comes up with but this time am not sit back and take his crap.
Even the prime honda guys told me that these ICICI insurance guys are a big pain in the.....
Old 27th September 2007, 14:33   #14
Team-BHP Support

A bit OT maybe but avoid the ICICI Lombard car insurance like plague. If anyone already has it switch to some other insurance company on the next renewal. We have had enough bad experiences with them reported on this board. They cause unnecessary trouble for the already hapless car owners.
Old 27th September 2007, 14:39   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless_1984 View Post
Thats what i told him but he said `sir MY company asks for an FIR in such cases`.
So i thought its better not to argue with this guy so i got him the FIR.
Now lets see what excuse he comes up with but this time am not sit back and take his crap.
Even the prime honda guys told me that these ICICI insurance guys are a big pain in the.....
Faithless, i am sure of it coz my car was repaired the same way.
FIR is required in the case of third party damage claims. Since your claimign for your own car, its not required. If he argues further, threaten that you will switch your insurance policy to some other company the next time.

Quote:
Mine is Bajaj Allianz as well. Can I forgo the complaint? And will they reimburse the entire amount if I get it repaired at a local shop?
I dont know if they would agree to repairs at a local shop. In my case, i got the repairs done from the dealer itself with whom the insurance guys have a tie up, and so no hassles involved.

Most Viewed