Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2007, 22:25   #16
BHPian

Backseat driver, well it's not comfortable ...its A$$ on fire situation many a times.

We also do some other stuff than Ctrl Alt Del, that is we do love our Palios and Balenos and fords and Hyundais and Marutis

The colourfull batch hanging is just the ID card, it very common site in all industries now.

1100D - anybody who is preoccupied tend to deviate from anything he/she is doing so accidents happen, so lets cut IT out of here...and peace.
Old 31st October 2007, 22:30   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
The colourfull batch hanging is just the ID card,
Er.. I'm a bit lost. How do hang a whole batch? And a whole batch of who/what?
Old 31st October 2007, 22:33   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
Dear dear amitoj, colorful tags and nameplates hanging from their necks. Yep, there is <5% chance that those were non-IT guys with tags. then, I do take my chances
This is what I am talking...
Old 31st October 2007, 22:35   #19
Senior - BHPian

Looks like a "Solve the mystery thread"
Old 31st October 2007, 22:54   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Looks like a "Solve the mystery thread"

2 Days, 2 IT Guys, 2 Rear-end collisions: Where is the mystery?
Except for the vice of the Vice Admiral.
Old 31st October 2007, 23:55   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
1100D - anybody who is preoccupied tend to deviate from anything he/she is doing so accidents happen, so lets cut IT out of here...and peace.
Dear Sir, refer to my quote below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Could be that most of these guys are new to the steering wheel on the road and are too preoccupied (by ways to further ones position) to learn the nuances of using the roads.
I did not say preoccupied "while" driving. But preoccupied to learn from the experiences on the road.

There are quite a few points that can be said and attributed to the IT sector and the effects of rapid economic and social upliftment of a lot of people. But thats a matter of another debate.
Old 1st November 2007, 11:05   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpscars View Post
I have no idea why a particular profession must be reported to cause accidents!!!! very funny though.
Nothing of the sort was my intention. Seeing 2 similar accidents on 2 days at around same time was rather disturbing. Luckly today is holiday for us

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpscars View Post
i have been driving for 10 years now and almost the same with IT.
I am also in IT and I have been driving for 18 yrs. It doesn't prove/disprove anything. If you are able to look at your IT collegues with an unbiased eye and still say their road manners and driving skills are better than the rest, then I would say that is good point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
I immediately clicked on this as it 'promised' exceptional experiences!
Bhai, too much of "K" serials and Chopra movies are having bad effect on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
There are quite a few points that can be said and attributed to the IT sector and the effects of rapid economic and social upliftment of a lot of people. But thats a matter of another debate.
Absolutely.
Old 1st November 2007, 11:55   #23
BANNED

It was not flame.

First, I did not intend my post as a flame; but I do think that IT people (people in the IT sector) are used to get things done their way; and get done pretty fast and do tend to lose temper real quick. (hmm... who is it that lost his temper on reading my post??)

I simply do not find any other reason for the bad driving conditions in the IT cities of B'lore (where I have been) and reports here about bad driving conditions at Pune and Hy'bad - the other IT centers. Last time I was in there, (abt 13 years back) Old Delhi, which has real narrow roads than these 3 cities, had better drivers. On this occasion, while walking along a crowded road within Old Delhi I was sandwiched in the middle of a narrow road between cars and scooters and was surprised to find the drivers were relaxed and smiling. That was mere few minutes after a bomb blast in the vicinity. (I had just reached and did not know that a bomb blast took place). In b'lore, in the same situation, people would be scowling and honking at each other.

Well, I do not write code and do not know perl from shell but have been invited to more than a couple of IT events.

As I said first this is not intended to flame the IT guys here and apologise if anybody's sentiements are hurt. And I fully agree with the person who said that IT guys hanging around here are as good drivers as any.

But will somebody please tell me why drivers in Old Delhi with its two lane roads were smiling a few minutes after a bomb blast; and people in
Bangalore with wide four /six lanes (ok, four lane ONE WAY, no traffic in opposite direction) are so tensed and short tempered??

Why do drivers in Delhi tend to leave plenty of space around their vehicles, while B'lore drivers are happy with just inches of space around??

My take is that most drivers in B'lore are IT people; and are used to "broad" band; and get fidgety with blocks.

I do admit - the Old delhi I saw was 13 years back; and b'lore was 8 and 2 years back. ( I leave out "New" Delhi deliberately).
Old 1st November 2007, 13:29   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Er.. I'm a bit lost. How do hang a whole batch? And a whole batch of who/what?
Methinks Firebird meant to say "badge". It's not a badge though, strictly speaking. It's technically an ID card, but we call it a "dog tag".

Yes, I'm vaguely connected to the IT industry. And I'm a rotten driver. But then I haven't had much practice.
Old 1st November 2007, 13:52   #25
BHPian

Dear backseat driver,
We cannot make general statement that techies are only responsible for the bad driving conditions.In bangalore i have noticed cabbies buses and LCV's[not usually driven by techies:-)]and two wheelers,all following the most aggresive style of driving which harms others.But techies being highly educated and working in corporate environments,when contribute to bad driving i really feel sad.And we cannot ignore this segment of drivers when we think about road issues as they are large in numbers.But saddest part is they are so impatient at times finally resulting in harming themselves and others.
As you said ,in delhi what you experienced reminds of the old good times and nowadays in all spheres of life(including driving) the impatience and selfishness is reflecting because of many reasons.
Old 1st November 2007, 14:52   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
I simply do not find any other reason for the bad driving conditions in the IT cities of B'lore (where I have been) and reports here about bad driving conditions at Pune and Hy'bad - the other IT centers. Last time I was in there, (abt 13 years back) Old Delhi, which has real narrow roads than these 3 cities, had better drivers. On this occasion, while walking along a crowded road within Old Delhi I was sandwiched in the middle of a narrow road between cars and scooters and was surprised to find the drivers were relaxed and smiling. That was mere few minutes after a bomb blast in the vicinity. (I had just reached and did not know that a bomb blast took place). In b'lore, in the same situation, people would be scowling and honking at each other.
Wowww!!! A bomb blast happend and drivers were relaxed and smilling. Thats surprsisng to me. Defenetly I wouldn't be smilling when there is a bomb blast nor would you.

I don't understand, why you shuld bring in a comparrison between, Delhi (13 yrs ago) and Bangalore (IT city)?

IT city or non IT city, traffic situation is bad in all major cities in India and have equally number of bad drivers.

Back to the topic of discussion.

I have noticed this in most of the trucks/govt buses, the tail light doesn't work and it is not easy to notice if the truck is slowing down/stopping. I have had a few near misses because of tail light not functioning in trucks front of me. I think it is not only the car driver (IT or non IT) we should blame.

PS: Guess it's better to change the topic to " 2 days, 2 Guys, 2 rear-end collisions"
Old 1st November 2007, 17:10   #27
BHPian

Guys Peace....let it be IT or Non-IT

Forgive us...we poor IT guys...

Let the thread go as another street experience as it was intended..
Old 1st November 2007, 17:33   #28
BHPian

Don't lose ur temper... Nobody wants it...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Why do drivers in Delhi tend to leave plenty of space around their vehicles, while B'lore drivers are happy with just inches of space around??

Buddy backseater... I think u had a bad experience in Bangalore by someone who is very arrogant. That doesn't mean all Bangalore(ans) are so. Chill. You find good drivers and bad drivers in every city, among every profession. Be it Bangalore or Delhi, be it a s/w guy or a truck driver. Think about it...!
Old 1st November 2007, 18:04   #29
BANNED

Shebin, yes; you do have a good point there. and Firebird (PS:- the database engine??) no need to be apologetic; I was referring to tendencies; (there is a difference between "people in group X tend to do A" and "All members of group X do A"); not making a general statement. Guess my language did tend to be interpreted as if I was referring to all IT personnel.
Old 1st November 2007, 19:44   #30
BHPian

squeezing in between space

I think these folks were trying to squeeze in the space between road and the truck, probably imitating an auto rick guy or chasing one of those

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks