Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2007, 14:43   #16
Senior - BHPian

Thanks, guys. Even after 2 days, I still keep thinking of that night. Will take some time to overcome it, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl
have you been able to understand why the car did not start or why you were not able to push it? by any chance did you have the hand brake lever slightly pulled?
Well, we discussed this incident during the tbhp-meet on Sat. And one point that came up was that maybe the ECU cut off fuel, though I am not sure why it would do that.

As far as pushing the car goes, I think it might have been just my frame of mind at that point. Believe me, those swerves were too scary.

Quote:
it is very strange that it happened in a baleno which can maintain its poise quite well at such speeds.
Well, all cars have their limit. Anyway, for all the car's deficiencies (slim tyres etc), I would think the major blame lay with me - ie the nut behind the wheel.
Old 3rd December 2007, 14:53   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
And one point that came up was that maybe the ECU cut off fuel, though I am not sure why it would do that.
why would the ECU cut off fuel unless there is an accident? or maybe it does because of reasons not clear to me.

Quote:
As far as pushing the car goes, I think it might have been just my frame of mind at that point. Believe me, those swerves were too scary.

Well, all cars have their limit. Anyway, for all the car's deficiencies (slim tyres etc), I would think the major blame lay with me - ie the nut behind the wheel.
no amount of rubber is going to be sufficient unless one knows their limits. it is good that you have come to know the limits of the stock ones . all you need to forget that night is to go out again and do some high speed runs albeit more cautiously and at daytime on the GQ . IMO the more you ponder the more it will get scary.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2007, 14:58   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, we discussed this incident during the tbhp-meet on Sat. And one point that came up was that maybe the ECU cut off fuel, though I am not sure why it would do that.
This is very much possible. When you try n make quick steering adjustments at high speeds, the G forces created at that point, can caused the fuel in the tank to temporarily move away from the point where it gets sucked in by the fuel pump.

Wolf had to come in early during his track day session coz he kept complaining that every time he tried to take a corner, the engine kept losing power. So, for the next session, i filled 500 bucks worth of fuel and didn't face any probs.

But this can only happen if the fuel level is nearing empty.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2007, 15:04   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
But this can only happen if the fuel level is nearing empty.
true, this happened to me once in my friend's baleno but the fuel level in that was well below the red mark. hope that was not the case with SB.
Old 3rd December 2007, 15:18   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle
imo this particular stretch is as good as gq and probably safer in the fact that you dont have cows and bikes suddenly facing you.
Exactly. The 2 kms of straight long road, does not have even one intersection, the streets are lighted well, the road is awesome. All being reasons for my weekend hobby.

Quote:
no amount of rubber is going to be sufficient unless one knows their limits. it is good that you have come to know the limits of the stock ones
True. And I have always known the limit of the stock tyres. It is good enough for normal driving, even hi-speed driving on the straights, but the moment you try to do stuff like what I did, the limits show.

Quote:
true, this happened to me once in my friend's baleno but the fuel level in that was well below the red mark. hope that was not the case with SB.
I had 1/4 tank fuel in the car.
Old 3rd December 2007, 15:28   #21
BHPian

Good to hear that both of you folks came out without a scratch.
As the saying goes
"There are only two type of pilots- One who did landing without landing gear, and others who are yet to land without landing gear".

Quote:
Could this happen if you hit the rev limit?
WhiteKnight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2007, 15:30   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
True. And I have always known the limit of the stock tyres. It is good enough for normal driving, even hi-speed driving on the straights, but the moment you try to do stuff like what I did, the limits show.
hmmm.. I will have to be more careful as mine are still running on the same stock tires.

Quote:
I had 1/4 tank fuel in the car.
then that option is also not valid. strange, what might have gone wrong then. its particularly concerning because this might happen irrespective of what tires one is running and may affect the ones who tend to push even more because they have wider tires.
Old 3rd December 2007, 15:53   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight
Could this happen if you hit the rev limit?
If you are asking whether a fuel cut-off could happen on hitting the rev-limit, yes it will - atleast I know it will on the Baleno. Have had the fuel supply cut-off by the ECU whenever I have hit the rev-limiter.
Old 3rd December 2007, 16:02   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If you are asking whether a fuel cut-off could happen on hitting the rev-limit, yes it will - atleast I know it will on the Baleno. Have had the fuel supply cut-off by the ECU whenever I have hit the rev-limiter.
AFAIK limiters do not cut off the fuel supply, but control the electrical inputs to the spark plugs. Gurus will be able to throw further light on this.
Old 3rd December 2007, 16:10   #25
Senior - BHPian

SB, glad to hear that you are OK, it was real scary reading your narrative, it could have been fatal man! Take care & change the weekend hobby - knocking back a few pegs sitting at home is a lot safer mate
suman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2007, 16:16   #26
Jay
BHPian

Good to know that no damage was caused, but i would suggest you not to try out such stunts and put your life and others life at risk... whats surprising is that you swerved so much that the car almost lost control.

I agree with what Condor has said...

Take care my friend, Drive safe.

Last edited by Jay : 3rd December 2007 at 16:18.
Jay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2007, 16:18   #27
BHPian

What you describe is as close to a Scandinavian flick as you can get, that is the maneuver that is use to get the car sideways and set it up for a drift, you are lucky that you did not go into a spin, the most likely culprit is the soft suspension and the stock tires the don't like violent weight transfers. Thank God that you and the car are alright.
Vinaygv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2007, 16:21   #28
Senior - BHPian

That is one scary experience, good to know everything and everyone was alright in the end.
speedmiester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2007, 16:30   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
Take care & change the weekend hobby - knocking back a few pegs sitting at home is a lot safer mate
Thanks, suman. Yes, since I told about this incident to my wife, the hobby is bound to end. And yes, downed a few pegs on Sat with chennai tbhp-ians - did help in getting over this (atleast partly).

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 3rd December 2007 at 16:33.
Old 3rd December 2007, 16:30   #30
Senior - BHPian

Whew !! That was a close call.

Our cars are built for a certain drivability. If we test its max - it is going to punish us.

I tried redlining the Corrolla once in 2nd & 3rd gear going at speeds of over 140 kph, the car just coul not be controlled.

Its best to drive it normally.

It's good to know you came out unhurt and so did yr car. Cheers !!
vkochar is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks