Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2007, 17:32   #61
Team-BHP Support

Looks like everyone is so irritated with traffic.

Am I the odd one, cos deep down I actually like traffic jams.
I enjoy traffic jams, they let me listen to my fave songs in my fave car for a longer period of time.

dont like being stuck on my bike, but thats ok too.
Old 7th December 2007, 17:57   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Can you let us know if it is breeze at 830AM and from 530-6PM onwards. First try to reach Dhaula Kuan from Radisson onwards.
That is Peak time traffic Buddy !!!

Have you ever been to London & New York ??? Try walking in the market at 4 PM or catch an underground train in London ( Oxford Street ) - You will call Delhi Heaven then !!!

I live in London for more than 3 months in a year - I think India is not that bad at all if you compare it with other big metros of the world. Population / Traffic / Pollution is every where.

Have you been to Mumbai ??? Mumbai has the crappiest traffic in the world - Crawling !!!

Delhi has roads so wide that you can very well compare it with any good city in the world ( Ban the Buses & Ricks - and it's going to happen very very soon !! )

Why don't you try comparing your drive from Dhaula Kuan to Noida 4 years back and compare it with today !!

Be happy that there has been such a vast improvement in Delhi.
Old 7th December 2007, 17:57   #63
BHPian

There are opinions expressed in this thread that more educated people should get into politics. While, per se, there is nothing wrong with this idea, this alone is not a guarantee that things will improve.

Will educated people will not become corrupt? Will educated people not become self centred ? Will educated people not become narrow minded? What happenned to our ex-prime minister, who was young, well educated and had good intentions when he started? Are educated corporate- types not behaving badly on our roads?

If you get a chance, watch parliament proceedings on TV, some day. You will be ashamed about the way our representatives behave there. First of all the number of MPs present in the parliament itself will be very small - a very few of them talk and even fewer talk sense.

But then, where is the solution? It is within all of us. Like all of us on this forum, majority of our citizens must realise that our own good lies in common good. When this realisation comes, things will settle. When will this realisation come? - time only will tell. After all what are a few decades in the life of a country?

Let us all hope our country would be really developed - in the real sense, - at least when our children drive their cars around.
Old 7th December 2007, 18:31   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Why don't you try comparing your drive from Dhaula Kuan to Noida 4 years back and compare it with today !!

Be happy that there has been such a vast improvement in Delhi.
I agree completely. Also, just sharing my experiences - post 8.30 am, there is a 7-10 minutes wait time at the Domestic Airport crossing and another 7-10 minutes at the Dhaula Kuan traffice signal (just before the clover leaf). If that's the time slot, you need to be prepared for it.

To put things in perspective, the Domestic airport one should be done & dusted in the next three months, the DK one may continue.

Evenings going from Gurgaon to Delhi can be a pain in the butt though - its sheer volume of traffic, part of which will go in the next three months and a part will remain.

Human memory is short - I moved to Delhi in 2000 & saw the Panchsheel, Savitri, Nehru Place & Okhla flyovers come up & make life a hell of a lot easier today. Unfortunately people don't realize that because the number of cars has grown tenfold. But, for those of you who know what I'm talking about, try & remember what a commute from Okhla to Munirka used to take then?
Old 7th December 2007, 19:40   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
There are good people in politics (relatively) who want good for country and themselves. They are spread across so many parties that even voting for them doesn't make anything good come out of it.
Unfortuantely they are in the party who have the leaders thinking of themselves and their familes. Our party leaders are least bothered about the development of country.

@jango: Voting wisely will also not help as all of them are hungry for power and they will form an unholy alliance even they know it will not withstand.

Times now has started a campaign for choosing a leader and let us see where this will lead to. Will the rural mass of India listen to this man who is educated and w/o money (as politicians). the rural mass still believes that who ever gives them drinks and cash they will simply put the seal against their symbol. As far a the rural people are educated, our country will not progress and our politicians doe snot want our rural people to get educated as they will lose their vote banks. Even we have so many ills our contry is shining not due to politicians but to a few people like NRN, AP, KMS, Chidambaram etc.

Take for eg: The previous govt started GQ connecting all the 4 corners of India. But what happened ultimately? The present govt stopped it. These people does not want India to become a developed country. All they are interested in filling in their coffers.

No offences meant to anybody. But this is the fact of the day we are leaving with.

Last edited by snaronikar : 7th December 2007 at 19:45.
Old 7th December 2007, 20:32   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

bblost, yes, I'm afraid you are the only one who doesn't mind a traffic jam!

We'd probably agree about red traffic lights,though. I always take them as an opportunity to (Like the old ones used to say) Relax!
Old 7th December 2007, 20:43   #67
Senior - BHPian

Elito?

Ever considered biking around? WAY quicker. And a windcheater keeps you clean as well. And no, I know the weather. Regularly do 100+ speeds from Airport to khanpur almost everyday post 10pm. Today came in 45 mins at 6:15pm! Bhai took almost 2 hours from 'gaon for 25km! I'm saving 2 hours of my life daily
Old 7th December 2007, 21:01   #68
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Human memory is short - I moved to Delhi in 2000 & saw the Panchsheel, Savitri, Nehru Place & Okhla flyovers come up & make life a hell of a lot easier today. Unfortunately people don't realize that because the number of cars has grown tenfold. But, for those of you who know what I'm talking about, try & remember what a commute from Okhla to Munirka used to take then?
Or getting to Dhaula Kuan from S.Ext about 8-9 yrs ago .... a tortoise probably would have reached before I could even though I was on a bike , thats how slow it was .

To put things into perspective ... traffic snarls like the one that started a 5 pg debate can happen anywhere so it definitely got NOTHINg to do with India shining or not !!!! Also instead of blaming the poor cops all the time or the govt for every small thing like this is total crap .... it was mentioned that there was no crane in sight --- in that traffic that wopuld have piled up in a matter of minutes how would one expect the crane to get there ??? Ive seen a million times where an ambulance with its sirens on is trying to get through traffic and dumb individuals still trying to get in front of the ambulance instead of moving out .... and the poor ambulance with a patient in it is stuck in the traffic as a regular vehicle --- Who do we blame for this , the cops , the govt or the public ????

The public out there on the roads is made up of all kinds of ppl .... unfortunately most of them driving on the roads don't have any traffic sense and don't deserve to be on teh roads BUT THEY ARE and thats what causes the commotion . So to get things right we need to start from the bottom and go upwards and thats when the real difference will be noticed . Though its easier to sit back and blame others !!!!

And living in a city ... no matter what but one should be prepared for such situations and instead of heating up should find ways to enjoy the lil time one gets to themselves -- atleast thats what I do

Quote:
Will the rural mass of India listen to this man who is educated and w/o money (as politicians). the rural mass still believes that who ever gives them drinks and cash they will simply put the seal against their symbol. As far a the rural people are educated, our country will not progress and our politicians doe snot want our rural people to get educated as they will lose their vote banks.
Are you trying to say that politician only get votes from the rural area ... ??? You think that educated people from urban area don't end up choosing the wrong leader .... politics is a totally different scenario and its easieer said than done when it comes to developments !!! Maybe the previous regime started the GQ project ... but they also shelved a lot of projects that mattered at grass root level but those went un noticed by the urban dwellers as it had nothing to do with them . The GQ getting shelved gets noticed coz it made a difference to the urban dweller more than the rural dweller !

Everyone says the politicians are only interested in filling their coffers ... but again , does that statement hold true only for the politicians ?? Only ppl who don't have the opportunity to fill their coffers will harp about this , the minute they themselves get a chance they will keep quiet . And yes every community will have a few ppl who will be different from the regular mind set and they do make a difference in whatever little way they can but then thats just the way of life .

To change that .. we need to start from ourselves so instead of having TBHP meet where we drink - eat - abuse - burn fuel and go home , why don't we get together and do something that will make a difference ???? Any takers ....

Last edited by aah78 : 8th December 2007 at 04:18. Reason: Merged. 20 minute time limit still exists.
Old 7th December 2007, 21:13   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Times now has started a campaign for choosing a leader and let us see where this will lead to. Will the rural mass of India listen to this man who is educated and w/o money (as politicians). the rural mass still believes that who ever gives them drinks and cash they will simply put the seal against their symbol. As far a the rural people are educated, our country will not progress and our politicians doe snot want our rural people to get educated as they will lose their vote banks. Even we have so many ills our contry is shining not due to politicians but to a few people like NRN, AP, KMS, Chidambaram etc.
Now that sounds like a good idea. I'd like to see more educated individuals enter the arena of politics. If atleast 50% of the people sitting in the various Assemblies are educated to the level of graduates,that by itself would make a whole lot of difference to the country.
Here,when every other country is moving forward, we've gotten stuck or are actually gone backwards thanks to these crappy politicians.
About time that sensible people took over the responsibility of running the country. The present 'Gawaar' politicians ought to be booted!
Old 7th December 2007, 21:36   #70
BHPian

I am glad that I left India 14 years ago. Looking back, I now realize that its not about about the 3 degrees I earned, the money I earned, the fancy cars I owned, etc.

Leaving India opened my mind to new thoughts, new ideas, new points of view. And that has been truly priceless. It doesn't matter whether you're from India or from America. People who stay comfortably within their country simply don't have the experience of seeing things from a different perspective, of going through the pain of having to see things from any perspective other than what they grew up with. Half the ignorance and arrogance of the americans comes from the fact that they are happy in their country and have no idea what the world looks like from the perspective of other people.

The saddest thing I see is the Indians who are here on F1, H1, L1 visas or already converted to green cards, but they only mix with Indians and they remain confined to going to temples and attending indian functions and all that, and they never open themselves to the world thats around them.

That said, having had the expereince, I really want to return to India. That is my home, my land. I will remain a foreigner here till the day I die. No matter how much I come to love america, the desire to curse someone in punjabi will never leave me, the pride with which I walk in India will never be replicated here. That DDLJ song "ghar ajaa pardesi, tera des bullaye re" will never cease to bring tears to my eyes. You may find this ridiculous but my eyes are wet as I am writing this.

So why don't return to India right away? because there are bigger factors at play. More than India or America, my biggest desire is to not work for someone else. I am trying to figure out what I can do in India and be successful at it, without being anyone's employees. When I figure that out, I will head back.
Old 7th December 2007, 21:48   #71
Senior - BHPian

Harbir, I can so relate to you. My eyes tear up when I hear the very same song,and reading what you wrote did just that to me.
Been in this country for 5&1/2 yrs now, 2 years on an F1 and 3 yrs on a H1 (1 step away from getting my GC).
Like you said, no matter what, you will always be a foreigner. Nothing will change that fact. The sense of being in your motherland is something that cannot be described.

The good part of being abroad is learning so many things,and getting a better perspective of life. Thinking beyond the regular lines of day to day existence. Travel the world, see places, meet people and do everything you like, but in your heart even if you hate the traffic/pollution/ people of your motherland..nothing can deter the love for her.
Old 8th December 2007, 00:23   #72
BANNED

Harbir & Nitin --- I went through the same emotions way back in 1997 - 98 and thats when I realised that there is no way I wanna stay with a foreigner tag all my life and I took a HUGE step when I decided to move back straight after college and I had spent just 4 yrs outside out of which I used to be back in India at teh end of each semester .

No matter what ppl say about the trafic/ pollution/corruption ... atleast I can call it my land and nobody can deny me that right . There are 2 things that I feel are very imp and they are -- hostel life and going abroad for a fe wyrs to get a broader perspective about life !!

Im sure you guys will soon be back and find your calling where you will be your own bosses and you will get have what you desire -- I found mine in farming and Im luving every minute of it though 10 yrs ago all my friends/acquaintances/relatives thought I had lost my mind !! Today most of them are envious ... ;-) ..

Good luck to you guys !!!
Old 8th December 2007, 00:45   #73
Senior - BHPian

Farming! Wow khadu..thats such a simple yet important field to be working in. I really appreciate anyone who has had the courage to do what you did, more so in the case of people who have been abroad for over 10 years. One fine day, pack up & head home. Takes hell lot of courage to do it.

Trust me guys,when I see India developing (alteast in many aspects),I wonder what the whole charm of being in the US is. Almost everything that is available here,is available in India. Only difference being the roads,pollution,corruption and handful of other things.

Well,if it hadn't been for my dad,I'd have at some point of time looked at joining the Indian Army and serving for as long as I could have. Anyway,what ever will be will be..
Old 8th December 2007, 12:44   #74
BHPian

It is good to see that the political discussions ended after Harbir's post but the NRI section of feelings started.

Anyway I am happy in India. I stay in Mumbai and there were hige floods in 2005 and if anyone still remembers those times, you will know what India is no other major city in the world would be.

btw Harbir if you move back here then you will have to sell your Lotus Elise which is not recommended.
Old 8th December 2007, 18:53   #75
Senior - BHPian

Wow !!! Nice thread this has turned out to be. I agree with Harbir & Khaadu wholeheartedly !!

I never realised the Importance of India until I started spending time out of the country.

Have you guys heard the song from Swades - ' Yeh Jo desh Hai mera ' !! Now that is what I call a song - Brings tears to my eyes every time I am alone & I listen to it when abroad

I have been to some fabulous places but I miss the Indian Warmth that I get here from the people - Tell me one thing - where can one find - Dhabas on the Highway, the peace one gets when you are in Hardiwar, The late night drives around India Gate, Buying Booze in Gurgaon at midnight , the Noida Atta Market , The chandni chowk food gallis !!

All these pleasures one can only understand when you are in India !!!

Every country in the world has their own drawbacks and their own plus points but what we Indians enjoy in our country, not many people can enjoy in their homeland.

I will list out a few Advantages about India which no other country has -

Indian Food - The Best Cuisine in the world !! It is official now, the Curry has taken the Brits by storm.

Indian Girls - They are beautiful, I think the prettiest in the world, no wonder we have so many Miss Worlds' Universe's.

Warmth from Indian People - Where can you get so much love ??? ( People might disagree with me here BUT more or less people are not too bad here - compared to other countries where Racism is so Much !! )

Best Climatical Conditions - India has the best climate, guys in UK & US would second me on that !!

Booming Economy - India is Booming right now - The US / Europe is scared of India's rate of growth and it's immense power !

Main Disadvantages of India -

Politics & Corruption

Terrorism & Attacks

Still a lot to be improved in Infrastructure but we are not that far away.

I proudly say that I am an Indian

Last edited by vkochar : 8th December 2007 at 18:55.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks