Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2007, 16:45   #31
BHPian

It was not a very deep curve, I would say about 60 deg.

Last edited by windsurfer : 17th December 2007 at 16:48.
Old 17th December 2007, 16:48   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfer View Post
Though I am planning to upgrade to wider tyres, it would not happen anytime soon. I think, i am too shaken to even try that again. But, the positive side of it, it had cleared my doubts of Palio handling. I was kind of blaming the car for not performing. Now, I am not. This could have happened with any car. I never try these kind of antics on any other car. Last time I was driving a 800, i could not push it beyond 80kmph even on good roads. I am not a bad driver but sometimes you just are over confident. And with a car like Palio, it is very easy to be.
yes palio is indeed a good car and can hold to a good extent. You just need to explore her slowly and safely next time around, dont go pushing to max in one go, understand how a car behaves and slowly progress. Then again there will be lot of BLIND AREAS where no one can help you.

For corners, simple checks helps.

Check visibility - Ensure you have clear roads both onto your front and no traffic coming from behind before you push. traffic includes animals (human beings too).

Check speed (most critical)- This comes with practice and every car and corner has its limits to carrying the speed, so be modest and start off slowly. Correct the speed well before you enter a corner, ensure you have slowed down before the curve.

And if you are in a situation where you cant cut down much, deceleration should be slow and smooth, brakes / modulate accelerator (completely cutting off in one abrupt sec is not recommended, esp from very high speed) and with smooth steering inputs take the corner.

First half of the corners Never accelerate, modulate the acc to carry the same speed or reduce speed. Second half if you are sure you can slowly accelerate and complete the turn.

Sudden deceleration and acceleration always hurts, and ensure you donot overtake other vehicles while at this, since you might land up with someone else loosing control and landing on your way.

In short its difficult but can be slowly and safely mastered to have a better driving experience.
Old 17th December 2007, 16:58   #33
BANNED

I have taken the 60 degree curve at 100Kmph in an NHC on a good highway. Probably the road was banked for that speed.
So along with curve angle, make sure road is well designed for the speed. Otherwise, even turning at 60Kmph will be suicidal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfer View Post
It was not a very deep curve, I would say about 60 deg.
Old 17th December 2007, 17:09   #34
Team-BHP Support

before hitting a turn at a high speed, remember

the turn maybe hiding somethings like

oil spill
a dead animal
another car/ bike/ cycle parked in the middle of the road
broken road surface
speedbreaker
Sunny Leone

is your high speed going to make the matters complicated.
Old 17th December 2007, 17:40   #35
Senior - BHPian

Take the example of a cycle.When the front tyre is turned in a particular direction and u brake hard what happens?
U dont go in the direction in which the wheel is turned but u start going in a straight line.
So while turning in cycles people always press very little of the front brakes and most of the rear brakes
But in cars u cant do anything about it.So turning at high speeds and braking very hard will lead to a loss of control as our cars have front wheel disc brakes whose braking power is awesome.
Old 17th December 2007, 18:02   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
I have taken the 60 degree curve at 100Kmph in an NHC on a good highway. Probably the road was banked for that speed.
So along with curve angle, make sure road is well designed for the speed. Otherwise, even turning at 60Kmph will be suicidal.
60 Kmph? No way. Some bends cant be done over 30 to 40, especially on ghats. I was racing with an Ikon on my way back from Srisailam last June, and we were both well above 100 kmph. The only difference was that he knew the road well and I was doing my first drive over it. Owing to this reason, I never attempted to overtake him. But I lost sight of him after he overtook some WagonRs in the forest stretch. It took me longer to overtake them, as there were too many twists and turns, and I never overtake until the road is straight.
So I tried to make up with the Ikon guy, and took at bend at around 60. Midway I realized to my discomfort that it was too steep, so I braked gently and reduced to 40. As I eased out of the bend, I saw a tractor in the opposite direction. Had I not slowed down, I would have been a wreck.
So the gist of the story is 'Never enter a bend at high speeds' especially if you are new to that road. Even otherwise, you never know if some other jerk is partaking in a similar misadventure in the opposite direction!!
Old 17th December 2007, 23:59   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Everything's fine so long as mistakes are never repeated. Dont worry.
Old 18th December 2007, 01:15   #38
BHPian

Glad to know that you are safe and you emerged out of it.
I am sure you have excellent control on your car; but taking a turn with gas pedal pressed down does send different signals to the car. Next time whenever attempting a curve at high speed, release the pedal just before the turn and press it again when you are in the turn. The car will behave superbly.
Old 21st December 2007, 16:01   #39
BHPian

glad to know that you have come out of it unscathed. Ok, now i understand ; on the way back form the meet you were driving very calmly and i was wondering with a 1.6 engine at his feet why is this guy driving so calm,should be a real cool person i thought(now i know the reason). In the morning i got in Mobike's car and he was enjoying his drive like anything( actually i felt scared in certain occasions-seemed like am watching an NFS game in a wide screen lcd). Then on the way back, I wanted to come along with you watching that you were rather calm and so i need not be counting seconds again :-) , but never do i know then that it's calmness after a cyclone :-) . Anyway nice cool guy you are and do enjoy your rides within the physical limits.
regards,
teja.
Old 26th December 2007, 00:40   #40
BHPian

Its not always that just the car or the driver is at fault. Sometime the road surface and the road itself can make a huge difference to a cars handling in corners. And if its hilly then the road angle would also make a huge difference. Windsurfer i would suggest you to go through the same turn at variable speeds after analysing the corner, the line you are taking, road surface, road angle and your GUTS!! then you will come to know if its you, your car or the road at fault.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks