Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2007, 12:21   #1
BHPian

Scary moment with my Palio 1.6

This happened this Saturday when i was driving out of city to meet other T-Bhpians for a meet. I wish it never happens to anybody.

We had planned to meet at a place called Ananthgiri hills which is about 70km from hyderabad. The road is not bad but has lot of turns. I had done this a lot of times. I had got my Palio recently after the service and wanted to check out the car on Highway. I was doing good at the corners at about 100-120 and it seemed OK. Then, there was left curve which was not too deep and i headed into at a good speed. I must have been doing above 120kmph. I did not finish the curve well and ended up slightly on the right lane. An indica was coming down at good speeds. I braked a little and attempted to come into my lane. That's it - eveything went bad after this. I lost complete control of the car. First it took a very sharp left and was heading down the road. I was trying my best to brake and get it to the right. It refused to listen to steering. Then, at the last moment before it could get down the road, it started moving to the extreme right and heading down the road. I again tried to move it to the left. And the same thing happened. I refused to be controlled and at the last minute before getting down the road, started moving left. I tried to control it again but no use. Finally, it responded to me and i was able to stop it on the left side of the road. i was completely shaken. Got down from the car and took a break of couple of minutes. I was trying to figure out what happened but could not understand anything as it had happened very quickly. Everything was over in 30 secs.

Lesson learnt - Every car has its limitations. Learn to accept it.

Thank god for the seat belt otherwise i would have been thrown around in the car and would not have been able to control it.

Anyways, I was thinking about what could have happened. Is there any other better way to avoid (i know reducing the speed is one)? I always that Palio handles very well. But, i know I am not so sure. And finally is something wrong with my car?
Old 17th December 2007, 12:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

Nothing is wrong with your car.. u just tried to defy some basic laws of physics !! Never take a turn at more than 80kmph !!
Old 17th December 2007, 12:30   #3
BHPian

I agree. I never tried to corner at more than 80kmph. But, I was sure Palio could do it. I will never try that again.
Old 17th December 2007, 12:32   #4
BHPian

Chill. Good to know you came out safe.

Braking on a straight and braking when the car is turing are altogether different ball games. You might had a better chance if you turned without braking

Last edited by WhiteKnight : 17th December 2007 at 12:34.
Old 17th December 2007, 12:34   #5
Team-BHP Support

This left curve, was it the one just before the Police Academy.
I had an issue with my bike as well on this spot.
She wanted to keep going to the right, while I was trying to get her to finish the turn.
I am not sure what my speed was, but I had had a good buildup before getting into the turn.
finally did a counter steer and regained control.

well trained reflexes are quicker than luck.
Old 17th December 2007, 12:36   #6
BHPian

Hi WindSurfer, glad that you're OK & so is your car A very similar experience was reported by fellow team-bhp member SupremeBaleno.

The thing is that the first time most people come face-to-face with the limits of their car is on public roads, & more often than not it ends badly, not only for them but for others also. Which is why track-days are important so that these limits can be explored in a relatively controlled environment.

Anyway, glad that you're OK, drive safely
Old 17th December 2007, 12:45   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
This left curve, was it the one just before the Police Academy.
I had an issue with my bike as well on this spot.
She wanted to keep going to the right, while I was trying to get her to finish the turn.
I am not sure what my speed was, but I had had a good buildup before getting into the turn.
finally did a counter steer and regained control.

well trained reflexes are quicker than luck.
No, it was later. I must have traveled for about 30 km.
Old 17th December 2007, 12:55   #8
Senior - BHPian

whew glad you came out of that safe and sound and wiser amigo
Old 17th December 2007, 12:57   #9
BHPian

its nice to hear u are safe & OK , drive safely brother
Old 17th December 2007, 13:04   #10
BHPian

windsurfer, were you braking all the time or took your foot off the brakes anytime during this scary moment?
Old 17th December 2007, 13:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini
Hi WindSurfer, glad that you're OK & so is your car A very similar experience was reported by fellow team-bhp member SupremeBaleno.
Yep, it sounded like my own experience. Glad you are safe and so is the car.
Old 17th December 2007, 13:06   #12
Team-BHP Support

To me, sounded a lot like SB's episode. Hope you have learnt not to head too fast into a turn.
Old 17th December 2007, 13:14   #13
BHPian

Another one after SB's post.. Just wonder if t-bhp forum is encouraging people to try out the limits of their cars on public roads??? There is definitely a strong need to convince ourselves that speed is not the ultimate thing in driving!
Old 17th December 2007, 13:20   #14
BHPian

OMG scary situation, thank god u and ur ride r save.....
no car is prefect, esp the FWD cars will not respond properly(understeer) in those tight turns, so the safest thing is to be within 80kmph(as spadival said
Old 17th December 2007, 13:33   #15
BHPian

Glad you are safe Happy driving...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks