Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2007, 11:53   #1
BHPian

Cars crash at a traffic signal in Pune

Saw this accident a couple of weeks back. I was coming back from my office on my Kinetic Nova with my wifey as pillion. We stopped at the Weather dept chowk signal. It was around 10:30 pm, I suppose. What we witnessed in the next couple of minutes goes to show what people pay for gross indiscipline on traffic signals.

Our side was a 'RED'. The left side of the road perpendicular to ours was also a 'RED' and they had like 70 seconds to go before it turned 'GREEN'. A Lady in her Swift had other ideas and took advantage of the fact that no traffic was moving for a split second. She jumped the signal and tried to get past to the other side of the road. By then the traffic from our opposite direction had seen 'GREEN'. It was a disaster in waiting. Before the lady realised, her Swift was banged on the rear door by an Indica. The Swift having garnered some momentum by then spun 360 degress and crashed into a lamp post. The Indica too was stalled and started leaking bigtime! Fortunately no one was hurt in the accident, but it could have been much worse! The cars though looked in bad shape.

It was a classic case of jumping signals and not paying heed to traffic rules. Police was right on the spot and I am sure both the drivers were taken to task, though I think the Indica was not really at fault.

The lady must have been left wondering, if only she had not rushed and jumped that signal! I hope she learnt a lesson, albeit the hard way.
Old 27th December 2007, 15:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

Yes we see daily basis lot of people jumping the signal they will learn a lesson when they met with accident like this and few not bothered at all. in this case the other person who followed the green light rule suffers for no reason he looses his indica's shape.

Hopefully in coming future such people learn and follow the rules.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 27th December 2007, 15:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

oh yeah, whenever i am at a red light I keep a look out for such morons trying to shave a couple of seconds off their travel time while putting their and others lives in danger.
You dont need rules to prevent ppl from killing themselves and others like this, just plain ol common sense ..but as they say common sense is not common.
Old 27th December 2007, 15:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

Jumping signals should be dealt seriously, they should revoke the offender's licence immediatly!

First they shud learn the basic Road manners & then drive!

Last edited by finneyp : 27th December 2007 at 15:51.
Old 27th December 2007, 16:02   #5
BHPian

In a mad rush to get nowhere

Guys,

Been experiencing this for the past two years in Bangalore. I am generally stopped at the front on a red signal. I tend to stop when it turns amber .

When the count down clock shows less than 10 seconds to go, the morons behind me start honking.

I was really getting frustrated with this impatience and on my bike, I just stood my ground and waited for green. Now that I bought a car, I just turn up the music volume, till the signal turns green.

Anyways, I refuse to budge, before the signal turns GREEN...

Cheers,
Rajan
Old 27th December 2007, 16:27   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
Guys,

Been experiencing this for the past two years in Bangalore. I am generally stopped at the front on a red signal. I tend to stop when it turns amber .

When the count down clock shows less than 10 seconds to go, the morons behind me start honking.

I was really getting frustrated with this impatience and on my bike, I just stood my ground and waited for green. Now that I bought a car, I just turn up the music volume, till the signal turns green.

Cheers,
Rajan
Rajan, thats exactly I intend to do at most traffic signals in Pune. Pune doesn't fare any better when it comes to traffic mannerisms. At times, I have had to give way to the moron behind me who is unruly and hurls abuses at me (as soon as there are 5 seconds left on the clock). Though, I try my best not to head before it turns 'GREEN'.
Old 27th December 2007, 17:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

Jumping signals seems to be the in-thing these days. One starts to look stupid waiting for the signal to turn green, takes a lot of resolve to maintain that decency.
Old 27th December 2007, 17:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Cheers,
Rajan
my type mate....good going....just don't leave until it turns green....even if turns green, start off slowly....more irritation for them....its just my hobby really....
i wish i could communicate (do you remember 'the mask' film style?)...
Old 27th December 2007, 17:29   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Guys,

Cheers,
Rajan
Very good habit, only word of caution is always keep a look out on the rear view mirror well before signals also, since the joker behind you might have other ideas.

I have become very paranoid and tend to slow down well before signals, and ensure am in a track with minimal traffic behind me, this after a colleague got rear ended by a tempo while stopping for red light.

Bangalore traffic will be much peaceful and safe if people had more patience!!! Yeah sometimes me also.
Old 27th December 2007, 17:32   #10
BHPian

I was once hit from behind by the infamous (Mumbai) BEST bus for not moving before the signal turned Green. There were about 5 seconds to go & he was in a tearing hurry. When I went to the station to register a complaint, I was surprised to see that BEST had already filed a complaint against me.
The cop suggested that I should just forget the whole incident and get the work done as it was just "A minor dent".
Old 27th December 2007, 17:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, just don't bother if the moron behind you is honking even if the signal is red.I never budge from my position and I don't give a damn as far I'm at the right side of the law.I've seen quite a few accidents with my own eyes while these morons tries to save a few seconds and ultimately pay the price for it.
Old 27th December 2007, 17:35   #12
BHPian

One more thing which I looks into before moving ahead after the signal turns green:
Just sees if somebody is jumping the red signal from other sides in between this signal change. In Kochi I have seen lot of bikers doing this.
Old 27th December 2007, 17:40   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Unfortunately, i am of the other kind. From a distance if i see the green signal with seconds ticking 5,4,3,2,.. I accelerate and usually beat it before it even turns amber. Whereas, i see most of the people slow down from a distance
Old 27th December 2007, 17:58   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello to all,

I was in Indore for the full of last week and I was shocked to see that the "signals do their own thing and the traffic does it's own thing". I hope good sense prevails in Indore otherwise there is a disaster waiting to happen. Also in Indore - oldies pottering around in Maruti 800s on the extreme right of the road and nothing makes them to shift lanes. And going round a roundabout to take a right turn ? I looked like a fool but I did go round everytime - MY GOD ! A foreigner sitting with me said - "Behram, I see my death approaching. Do something".

Only if cops went after "signal breakers" they would garner 50 times more money by way of fines than what they must be doing now. The fine should be just Rs.10, hand out receipts like parking fees and catch them at the next signals because our country is full of - "angrezon ke zamaane ke jailers - HUM NAHIN SUDHRENGE". I hope one of the senior cops is a team BHPian.

MERA BHARAT MAHAAN !

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 27th December 2007, 18:03   #15

It was kind of interesting to read this post. This is my expeirience driving in the US of A. I don't know if we realise or not - but it is a a kind of unconcious knowledge that we have to look at the both the sides before we start driving when the signal turns green. Has anyone noticed this? Well this was pointed out by my American friend who was the passenger when I drove him around in the city. Probably coming out of our experiences like the one wanderlustindia pointed out!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks