Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2008, 10:39   #16
BHPian

Rash driving is just the matter of attitude irrespective of the car they are driving. I have seen guys in 800 driving very badly at around 100-110 kmph between Mysore and Bangalore, overtaking from left side and driving in zig zag manner etc. This is just a matter of attitude.
Old 22nd January 2008, 11:38   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

the potential repair bill acts as a huge deterrant :-) it is a different matter if you got people to take care of the mess.

the most soberly driven car I have seen in B'lore is the new camry - more sober than even an S class.
Old 22nd January 2008, 11:43   #18
Senior - BHPian

Common first scorpio then skoda. Which all vehicles will you add on the list? This is basically generalisations man. Put that driver in some other vehicle and his style remains the smae so its nothing to do with the vehicle. Seen so many riders of 2 wheelers like kinetic and ct100 zip through traffic so should i say CT100= rash drivers? Comeon
Old 22nd January 2008, 11:44   #19
Senior - BHPian

Most of the times, when i see a vehicle being driven rashly, its not the owner at the wheel but his driver.
Old 22nd January 2008, 11:53   #20
Senior - BHPian

amitoj said it. I know 4 of my friends and 2 in-laws owning an octavia, but 5 of them are driven by salaried permanent drivers. These cars are driven 50% of the time with driver alone; meaning, dropping the owner to office or a business meeting or to home town etc. and returning to the owner's house empty. Damages on the body are mostly happening at this returning time which means rash driving and overspeeding in the absence of the owner. My in-law has the 3rd driver in 2 years, he fires one after a careless damage.

Maintanence services and repairs are too costly for a skoda as commented by others above. A small stone dent on the side can cost above 20k just like that !!
Old 22nd January 2008, 11:53   #21
Senior - BHPian

Lol, what next? Verna CRDIs???? I haven't really seen too many Skodas being driven rashly but there are a few around I guess. I agree with Redrage -

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
It all depends on the mentality of the driver irrespective of the vehicles being driven be it a skoda or any other car, In my personal experience of driving to be honest in have seen both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Thats because Skoda's also appeal greatly to people who pronounce it proudly as Sakoda.
Old 22nd January 2008, 12:19   #22
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
In Bengaluru I don't think so. I think you meant aggressive drivers not bad drivers. For me Santros and WagonR drivers are bad drivers. Maybe they have a lot of first time drivers. Skodas would not.
I have not found many Skodas driven rashly either. Many of them are driven fast, but that is not necessarily rash.

As for Santros and Wagon Rs, I have found most of these driven painfully slowly, as are most other vehicles in Pune city, to the point of driving me to utter frustration. To give you an indication of how slow the traffic is, consider my drive of about 10 kms to my office from Kondhwa to Fursungi (past Hadapsar). It takes me about 20-25 mins, i.e., an average speed of 25-30 kmph in my Santro. Now here comes the punch line: I overtake anywhere between 50-75 vehicles on a typical day, not counting the two-wheelers. Including 2-wheelers, the count will easily exceed 100 on many days.

I enjoy doing ~80 kmph on the usually empty Hadapsar flyover, but elsewhere I am usually at ~50 kmph and definitely below 60 kmph. Now if I take 20-25 mins for this drive with so much overtaking, most of the other guys who crawl along at 20-30 kmph without making any attempt to overtake will probably take ~40 mins for this drive of 10 kms, a painful average speed of 15 kmph.

You cannot blame me for overtaking (from left, right, wherever there is an opportunity). To call that "rash" is ridiculous, considering my speeds. Does anybody feel inclined to blame the guys who crawl along at painfully slow speeds (probably in second gear) without any lane discipline whatsoever?

My definition of a bad driver is one who makes others brake unnecessarily. As long as I take pains to avoid making another driver brake, I do not consider my driving to be rash in any way.

Last edited by rks : 22nd January 2008 at 12:20.
Old 22nd January 2008, 12:19   #23
BHPian

I personally feel like I drive rash (relative to my normal driving ) while driving scorpio. I drive scorpio very rarely. May be the feel of vehicle plays a small role in the driving habit.
Old 22nd January 2008, 12:49   #24
Senior - BHPian

Yea we can banter about rides like Skoda and Scorpio which are presently doing these "BAD DRIVING HONORS". But to me and i suppose many of you might agree as well, it all depends on the driving soul behind the steering wheel.
I suppose its just a strange and uncanny coincidence that they drive Skodas and Scorpios and to me Scorpios are always driven rashly and ofcourse as some on this forum called the Indicabs the WHITE TERMITES also add to our woes without being left out.

As long as one follows these P's you can counter all of the very very bad drivers-->
1.Predicting ---->the moves of your rides around you

2.Persistence -----> of maintaining lane discipline and a safe braking distance and finally

3.(no)Provocation (STRONG NO) ----> Provoking and instigating others around you which is uncalled for.

your ride will be safe, BUT AGAIN FOR THOSE SCORPIOS AND SKODAS!!
Old 22nd January 2008, 12:56   #25
Senior - BHPian

I don't think Skodas are driven rashly. In all likelihood, they get impatient when moving behind slow-moving cars like Santro's and WagonRs. Normally everyone would like to drive in 4th gear if traffic is thin. But while Santros and WagonRs can be driven at 30 to 35 on 4th gear, bigger cars need to go past 40 to get into 4th gear. Such cars always try to overtake the slow-moving car in front, giving an impression that they are being driven rashly. I am saying this because I own a WagonR and a Fiesta, and noted the differnce between both for cruising in higher gears.
Old 22nd January 2008, 14:14   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
You cannot blame me for overtaking (from left, right, wherever there is an opportunity). To call that "rash" is ridiculous, considering my speeds. Does anybody feel inclined to blame the guys who crawl along at painfully slow speeds (probably in second gear) without any lane discipline whatsoever?

My definition of a bad driver is one who makes others brake unnecessarily. As long as I take pains to avoid making another driver brake, I do not consider my driving to be rash in any way.
If we generalize your argument, every body is an excellent driver by their own definition !! Problem with most people is that they cant hold a mirror to themselves and say "I have driven badly today".

I do admit that I drive rashly sometimes. Especially if another rash driver cuts me off. Why, today, a Santro driver got a good look at my middle finger and a few pleasant words.. Hope it wasn't you .
Old 22nd January 2008, 14:36   #27
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
I have not found many Skodas driven rashly either. Many of them are driven fast, but that is not necessarily rash.

As for Santros and Wagon Rs, I have found most of these driven painfully slowly, as are most other vehicles in Pune city, to the point of driving me to utter frustration.

I agree with all of the above. and I dont think skodas are driven rashly.
scorpios yes, innova taxis yes, indica taxis- yes but they are slow and can be dealt with.

by others definition I'm a rash driver, but like rks said, I go to great lenths to avoid putting another car in discomfort.

maybe I am a rash driver.

Old 22nd January 2008, 15:08   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Again, without being general, these particularly bad Skoda drivers must be bitten by the "image" bug that one concurs an Octavia conjures up.
Old 8th September 2008, 11:11   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_devil View Post
I dont think this is true buddy.. firstly most of the skodas are bought by middle aged guys and i dont think they will be doing an sporty or rash driving.

I have not seen anything unusual with the skodas but ofcourse on the highway they can easily cruise at high speeds..

i think u must have encountered a few petrol skodas or some rich kids having fun with with their cars. But i dont think skodas in general are driven rashly.
I know a certain 48 year old gentleman with a Laura who believes that speeds below 150 are for losers and the auto box should only come with Sport mode
Old 8th September 2008, 11:34   #30
Senior - BHPian

As a general observation in HYd, i haven't seen a single Skoda driven so called rash. All of them belong to middle aged people. There are a couple of RS's and even they aren't driven rash. Sometimes yeah, they might bully with thier size. Thats all.
Today i saw a lady two wheeler rider cutting just in front of a Santro driven by a lady. What do you call that? height of luck?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks