Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2024, 13:12   #256
BHPian

Re: Valet Drivers = Your car's worst nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by akp666 View Post
Mate! it's like talking to my twin lmao!

Parked there a few times, and the walk is a bit long.

Hope to park next to you sometime in Mehrauli. I will at least have peace of mind knowing we would be careful of each others' steeds.
Haha good to know I'm not the only one. And thanks a lot for the Dhan Mill tip.
Old 26th February 2024, 13:26   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Respectful firmness. And absolute brazen full blooded confidence. You’re the Paying Customer. Take a hold of your Rights.
Reviving an old post, fully agree with you on this. However, there is one small issue that I have been unable to overcome, leaving the keys at the front desk despite self-parking. My recent experience at Le Meridian, Goa, they let me park my car at the spot I preferred but insisted on retaining the keys as they may need to move it. The car was moved on couple of occasions but thankfully they were quite careful about it. How do you handle this when the only alternative they give you is park it on the road which in this case is far more dangerous! I always try to book hotels with ample parking; in this case I missed the fact that 'ample parking' as advertised was not 'ample' enough :-(
Old 27th February 2024, 23:07   #258
BHPian

Never personally experienced problems with drunk or rash valets. Yet I hesitate before handing over the keys to them.

Older Mercedes-Benz handbrakes have an unusual design, wherein it's located in the driver's footwell and is engaged by the left foot and released by pulling a handle near the right knee using the right hand.

Valets sometimes don't know this. So they end up either driving with the handbrake on, or not applying the handbrake once it's parked (and I'm not comfortable when the whole car rests on P, especially if it's on an incline).

I mean, they may be dealing with a lot of newer Benzes, but if I'm not mistaken the new ones have electronic parking brake where this problem doesn't exist.
voldemort is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 23:18   #259
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voldemort View Post
I mean, they may be dealing with a lot of newer Benzes, but if I'm not mistaken the new ones have electronic parking brake where this problem doesn't exist.
You are assuming they put on the handbrake before exiting even in these newer vehicles.
Unfortunately the process is still manual, or activates after engaging Park & opening the door.
So if they engage park, switch off the engine, take the foot off the brake as is normal practice & then open the door - the damage would have already have been done since handbrake needs to be engaged before taking the foot off the brake.

I've only such 'human-errorless' implementation on the Lexus where Park auto engages the handbrake/parking brake but even then it takes a second.

I generally prefer to self park the fancy vehicles, or pay a premium to park upfront as much as is possible; though I generally take the beaters wherever I have to valet park.
If 'image' matters pay the overtime to your chauffeur and avoid a crease free outfit (assuming most modern merc owners do have a chauffer at their disposal).
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 23:29   #260
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
, leaving the keys at the front desk despite self-parking. My recent experience at Le Meridian, Goa, they let me park my car at the spot I preferred but insisted on retaining the keys as they mayugh :-(
I HATE being pressurised into leaving my car keys with anyone after I park. Except if it is the Taj or Oberoi where I used to work long ago and still have pals there. I generally politely say no and ask them to come and get me if they need to move my car. But then, I ve never faced a situation of this kind where they have actually wanted to move my car. Even at the Leela Galleria if ever I go to the shopping centre there, I request them politely to be allowed to park my own car myself, in front of the Galleria entrance and they usually oblige. (It definitely helps when I take my Green Gypsy to all these places!)

But now I’ve learned one more thing. If at all I have to go to any of these places when the world is busy and when traffic is heavy, I will just do a BluSmart EV Rental for 3 hours 30km or 4 hours 40km and be done with it. I may own a couple of cars. But I will simply not subject myself to the torture of driving to these places in peak traffic times. Better still, avoid all of these places like the proverbial plague. That’s my favourite option and one which I exercise all the time.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 13:52   #261
BHPian

I have a similar incident. I landed to this hotel in NCR (don’t remember the hotel’s name but very likely it was Marriott near Airport).

The valet stopped me in front of the hotel porch and asked me to hand over the keys. Now, I adore my cars and this was the Jag!
I hate having someone else drive it whichever way they want and now that they have the keys, who is to ensure they don’t party around in the car? (Color me paranoid but it is what it is)

On telling them that I’ll park myself, they flat out refused. To my utter dismay, I called hotel manager and then concluded that the valet can sit in the back seat but only I’ll drive. Period!!

And thats what we did. I couldn’t care less for the scene that got created.

I had booked Mariott assuming they’hd be courteous to a reasonable request of parking myself. But NO, here we are. With this lesson, I now prefer Taj properties (that’s one good thing that came out of this lol).
Tutenkhamen is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th April 2024, 09:06   #262
Team-BHP Support

This is where a lot of the connected app features have come as a boon. Now with a lot of mass market cars as well you have connected apps that can inform you of your car location, if your car is on, on the move, if the ignition is on, etc. I think some luxury cars also offer a specific Valet mode which can add some further limitations on car usage.

If something seems untoward after giving it to the valet, one can undertake some immediate preventive inquiry or action. Of course, it can’t prevent rash driving per se but incidents where I’m reading of car being used for eating or drinking in, being kept on / open etc at least is something one can be aware of.

Last edited by Axe77 : 8th April 2024 at 09:15.
Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2024, 09:35   #263
Senior - BHPian

I never hand the keys of my car to a stranger. It's clearly written on the valet slip that the management is not responsible for any damage. Going ahead and still handing over the car keys makes no sense to me. I am not against someone using that facility at restaurants/hospitals etc., but I do not use that service. I am fine to walk a kilometer if required. Also, I avoid hotels that do not have cellar parking. The valets change the seating position, IRVM angle, AC and even play the FM at high volumes. I hate it when someone does that.
Raghu M is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st April 2024, 14:04   #264
phi
BHPian

I might visit Bangalore next month for a week and most likely, we will be staying at JW Marriott. I am planning to drive to BLR in my Kodiaq. I might need to use the Kodiaq at Bangalore only once or twice over the week - mostly I will use Uber for in-city trips.

I am wondering what I should do with valet parking. So far, I have not handed over the car to valets anywhere. But I am thinking that valets at a place like JW Marriott would be parking top-end luxury cars all day, and would also have good processes in place for handling cars. I could drop off luggage and my family at the entrance and have them handle the check in while I park myself, but I am a little concerned that I might look cheap. I do have an internal camera on the dash cam just as a deterrent.

Also, I am not sure if they will allow self parking, with or without the valet in the back seat. Also concerned about leaving the key with the valet after self or valet parking.

Even as I type this, there is a part of my brain that is whispering that I am making a mountain out of a molehill, and should just let the valet park and let them keep the key.

Any comments or advice? Any specific experiences with JW Marriott, BLR in this regard?

Last edited by phi : 21st April 2024 at 14:11. Reason: Typo fix
phi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2024, 14:34   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phi View Post
I am wondering what I should do with valet parking. So far, I have not handed over the car to valets anywhere.
I had once gone to a fancy club in Thane and had refused to let the valet park the car and had told them I would like to park the car myself. I was allowed to park in their basement. If they do not agree to let you park your car yourself you could just drop off the passengers, unload the luggage and sit in the passenger seat next to the driver to oversee that they do not drive your car rashly. And I own a humble Swift and had my fair share of valets from hell. One might think of me as finicky or whatever but who cares what they think, they are just temporary people who will be around in your life for a very short time.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 21st April 2024 at 14:37.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2024, 14:47   #266
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
I am fine to walk a kilometer if required.
This is the crux of the matter!

In fact it is the answer to a number of city-driving problems. Everybody wants to park at the door of the shop, restaurant, etc, they are visiting. When located in very busy areas, this is hard/impossible. But just a few minutes away, the situation can become completely different.

Quote:
But I am thinking that valets at a place like JW Marriott would be parking top-end luxury cars all day, and would also have good processes in place for handling cars.
I don't think there is any guarantee of that at all! Probably the majority of valet-parked cars are returned to the owner with no problems at all. Just, none of us want to be one of the unfortunate minority, and I think that is entirely justified.

When visiting a strange city, it will be hard to know about available available, safe, parking places nearby. One might decide to make an exception. But reluctantly.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2024, 16:19   #267
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Even as I type this, there is a part of my brain that is whispering that I am making a mountain out of a molehill, and should just let the valet park and let them keep the key.

Any comments or advice? Any specific experiences with JW Marriott, BLR in this regard?
You're over-thinking it. If they have an issue, let them say so, don't hypothesise yourself into a 'what if?' migraine.

I haven't stayed at the particular property (I'm assuming the one next to UB City on Lavelle Rd?), but whenever I've visited for a meal/meeting, they've never made a fuss over letting me self-park.

Just tell the valet desk politely that you'd prefer to self-park and ask for directions to guest parking. Find a spot a little out of the way if you don't intend to use the car a few days, and tip the parking security guy to keep an eye on your car.

Unless you avail valet services or park in a spot where your car would likely need to be moved to accomodate thoroughfare, they're unlikely to insist on keeping your keys. Nothing a polite word and a little tip can't sort out, don't worry.

P.S. If Italian food is your thing, Alba @ JW Marriott makes some fantastic stuff. The ravioli is *chef's kiss emoji*.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 21st April 2024 at 16:26.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2024, 16:20   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
I never hand the keys of my car to a stranger. It's clearly written on the valet slip that the management is not responsible for any damage.
From my experience in most 5 star hotels, if you deny the valet service you are shown the farthest spot in the parking lot by the hotel staff. Even when nearby spots are empty. Also they mostly reserve the portico for high end cars and even if empty will deny those spots.

Quote:
I could drop off luggage and my family at the entrance and have them handle the check in while I park myself, but I am a little concerned that I might look cheap. I do have an internal camera on the dash cam just as a deterrent.

Also, I am not sure if they will allow self parking, with or without the valet in the back seat. Also concerned about leaving the key with the valet after self or valet parking.
Don't worry about being "cheap", its your car if something goes wrong you will lament for not having been cheap enough...

Ask the hotel specifically beforehand, if its a requirement due to Fire & safety issues you will have no choice but to hand the keys over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
When visiting a strange city, it will be hard to know about available available, safe, parking places nearby. One might decide to make an exception. But reluctantly.
vandalism is very rampant in many Indian cities, that is a big deterrent.
Even in paid public parking spots you never know who might derive some perverse pleasure in "keying" your car door or body panels.

Last edited by BlackBeard : 21st April 2024 at 16:22.
BlackBeard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2024, 18:02   #269
BHPian

Quote:
I might visit Bangalore next month for a week and most likely, we will be staying at JW Marriott. I am planning to drive to BLR in my Kodiaq. I might need to use the Kodiaq at Bangalore only once or twice over the week - mostly I will use Uber for in-city trips.

I am wondering what I should do with valet parking. So far, I have not handed over the car to valets anywhere. But I am thinking that valets at a place like JW Marriott would be parking top-end luxury cars all day, and would also have good processes in place for handling cars. I could drop off luggage and my family at the entrance and have them handle the check in while I park myself, but I am a little concerned that I might look cheap. I do have an internal camera on the dash cam just as a deterrent.

No experience with 5* hotels. But with hotels upto 4*, I have never handed over mine to a valet, and it was a humble Etios Liva, mind you. Never had a bad experience, I was always guided to the dedicated parking, unaccompanied.
The most recent was at Grand Estancia, Salem, in my new Honda City.
All my experiences are at hotels in TN and KL.
rajivr1612 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2024, 18:36   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeard View Post
From my experience in most 5 star hotels, if you deny the valet service you are shown the farthest spot in the parking lot by the hotel staff. Even when nearby spots are empty. Also they mostly reserve the portico for high end cars and even if empty will deny those spots. :
And that is absolutely fine. Like I mentioned, I am fine to walk a kilometer, so that doesn't make any difference to me. My family is dropped at the entrance and they do the ordering by the time I arrive, so it works out pretty well. It's once in a month or two that I may have the inconvenience, can't risk my car with a stranger just for a fancy spot or a farthest parking slot.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks