Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2008, 11:40   #1
BHPian

Child safety issues and Solutions

Last evening, I saw a lady driving a two wheeler with a boy seated at the back. The boy appeared to be about 6-8 years of age. The thing that worried me is that not only was the boy seated facing backwards, but he seemed to be playing some kind of imaginary game and thereby both his hands were in the air. He was not holding on

Isn't this a recipe for disaster or what? What would happen if the lady swerves and the boy loses his balance? I know kids are very stubborn sometimes, but at least parents should assert themselves when it is a matter of safety.

Perhaps we can discuss child safety issues and solutions in this thread.

Last edited by sreenidhibr : 15th February 2008 at 11:42.
Old 15th February 2008, 11:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

A majority of 2 wheeler riders don't even have the minimum common sense that they are having a lady or kids in the pillion and not only jeopardize their lives but also others as well. Be it the safety ensured while seated and also while on the move they are just not bothered and ride obliviously.
I still don't get why some people are so aversive to maintain some basic safety standards, is it ignorance,arrogance or negligence and i fail to understand.
Old 15th February 2008, 11:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

I have seem parents pushing baby strollers on road like it was some push cart !! Forget about the safety aspect, what about all the pollution that these 1 year old kids have to breath in !

I have also seen parents teaching their kids on how to ride their bicycles on public roads which have sizable amount of traffic zipping by !!
Old 15th February 2008, 12:08   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival
Forget about the safety aspect, what about all the pollution that these 1 year old kids have to breath in !
Cakewalk for 'Breathe Easy' like products
Old 15th February 2008, 12:12   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

There is no conception of safety. It is common to see families of four or five on a two-wheeler here, none of them wearing helmets even. The most dangerous common site is the baby in the mother's arm. Someone told me yesterday that they had just seen a man holding a child in one arm and driving with the other.

Perhaps these people will say that, at "city speeds" it is safe. They have no idea.
Old 15th February 2008, 12:23   #6
BHPian

solution for this is TATA NANO
Old 15th February 2008, 12:38   #7
BHPian

one 100CC Bike. Father driving with Helmet. first son (8yr old approx) sitting in the front with head bent (of course no helmet) to enable his father see. Mother with Saree (with both legs on the left side of the bike) has the second son (4-5 yrs old). None of them other than Father has Helmet.
Welcome to Namma Bengaluru
Old 15th February 2008, 12:41   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepak_ms View Post
solution for this is TATA NANO
Actually, According to Ratan Tata, the inspiration for Tata Nano was all this !!
Old 15th February 2008, 13:03   #9
BHPian

Why only two wheelers?

You can see Well Dressed (unfortunately educated) guys / gals driving with their little ones on the lap. That's a sure recipe for disaster.

-- Torqy
Old 15th February 2008, 13:44   #10
BHPian

I think biggest question is, do they have any other option??
A person, who can't afford a car, has to use bike/scooter for commuting and driving them specially in big cities are always very dengerous. The public trasponrt in most cities are not reliable.
Old 15th February 2008, 14:15   #11
BHPian

Well tell me bout it... I had even once asked a "highly intellect" lady about the same. Her answer was "mind my own business". Well I am doing so forth now.
Old 15th February 2008, 14:16   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

You can say this about any country in the world.

Public transport in London, for instance, is very expensive. In rural UK it can be effectively non-existant. That does not result in families on two-wheelers; the law would not allow it anyway.

The options are: to expose oneself and one's family to such risk --- or not. Of course there is an option.
Old 15th February 2008, 14:24   #13
BHPian

sad to see the thread and a similar news at same time.
The Hindu : Front Page : Accident costs school student his leg

a crackdown on all traffic violations is required. automated traffic cameras, fine collection system ONLY will bring some sense of order. Nano or not, this chaos will continue unless rules are implemented with a firm hand
Old 15th February 2008, 21:51   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
I think biggest question is, do they have any other option??
A person, who can't afford a car, has to use bike/scooter for commuting and driving them specially in big cities are always very dengerous. The public trasponrt in most cities are not reliable.
I agree with that 100%. They know its not safer, but don't have any other option other than taking a chance. Whether its worth it or not is a separate topic

My cousin brother, who stays 10 kms away from my place, visits my parents, everyweekends for the past 5-6 yrs. It was with his wife and 3 yrs old kid then. Now the kid has grown to 8-9 yrs and still he continue doing that. He wanted to continue that as far as he can manage.

Prevention is better than cure. But alternative options............
Old 15th February 2008, 22:03   #15
Senior - BHPian

Lets hope that this is where the Nano will kick in. Reduce the number of bikes/scooters,and save a few lives.

Something that was in practice 25-30 years ago,still exists. People haven't become smarter,or more aware of the ways they might get injured.They just keep doing,what they've seen being done for ages.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks