Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2008, 15:39   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Since this thread started off with GQ (Blore - Cheenai) and a ACCIDENT, I am posting this news from 27th mar 08 times Of india Bangalore. Very disturbing news, young guys die in high speed crash. Any1 recognize him as a BHP'ian? Please share with all of us. --RIP--

---------
2 from city die in road crash

TIMES NEWS NETWORK

Bangalore: They wanted to reach Chennai’s Chepauk stadium before the toss for the first Test between India and South Africa on Wednesday. But fate tossed them into the jaws of death. Young entrepreneur Mohammed Nazir Sait and his friend Jayaraj were crushed to death in Krishnagiri when their car crashed into a Tamil Nadu government bus. Megha Trigha, a student who was travelling with them, sustained severe injuries.

Car did 90 km in one hour

Bangalore: Mohammed Nazir Sait, 24, — who died in the road accident in Krishnagiri — was the son of city-based businessman Yunus Mohammed. He was on his way to Chennai with friends Jayaraj (25), a resident of Wilson Garden, and Megha Trigha (21), BBA student and resident of Sanjaynagar. The trio left the city at 6 am and in just an hour they were in Krishnagiri, 90 km from the state capital. When they reached the Krishnagiri-Chennai bypass a, bus coming from Jolarpet got on to the wrong side and entered the highway.
Nazir, who was driving, lost control and rammed into the bus. Such was the impact that the bus was pushed 20 metres behind. The bus stopped only after ramming into a signal light pole. The front of the car was shattered and it caught fire. It took time for rescuers to pull the victims out.
The Krishnagiri police said Nazir and Jayaraj died on the spot, while Megha sustained severe injuries. She was shifted to a nearby hospital. “The girl was in shock and gave us the information much later. She said they were heading towards Chennai to watch the Test match,” police said.
Nazir’s family was close to Sachin Tendulkar and other star promoters of a leading shoe manufacturing company, for which Yunus Mohammed was a dealer. Sources told this paper that Nazir was to take part in the inauguration of a new shoe showroom in Chennai.
The bodies were handed over to the relatives after an autopsy in Krishnagiri government hospital. Megha was also shifted to Bangalore at night.

ALL THAT REMAINS

Md Nazir Sait

---------

Guys, how ever good the road is, Plz Plz dont over speed when you see any inhabited surroundings, House, small shops, road side hawkers, small village roads, anything/anybody can drive onto the mail road suddenly, Poor souls..!

RIP
This is the news that is being discussed presently.

Last edited by Mission_Safari : 27th March 2008 at 15:39. Reason: correction
Old 27th March 2008, 15:46   #137
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
That makes sense, considering framing legal text considering all possibilities is tough. If you have stopped, you can't be going too fast. And if you hit someone, you were moving too fast. But what if both are moving? That opens a legal can of worms, doesn't it?
Recently in Delhi the court decided on a case where a car driver hit a stationary truck which was parked on the road without any warning.
The Insurance company of the truck had to pay many lakhs as compensation, as the court found the truck driver at fault for parking illegaly on a highway.
Now the truck was parked without a driver, so the truck had no chance to avoid accident, the car guy had, but the court did not find the car guy at fault, right?
Old 27th March 2008, 16:00   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Recently in Delhi the court decided on a case where a car driver hit a stationary truck which was parked on the road without any warning.
The Insurance company of the truck had to pay many lakhs as compensation, as the court found the truck driver at fault for parking illegaly on a highway.
Now the truck was parked without a driver, so the truck had no chance to avoid accident, the car guy had, but the court did not find the car guy at fault, right?

That is where the lawyer comes in. Its all about presenting the case and highlighting mistakes. The basic rule that rawkraja pointed out makes perfect sense, other things being equal. The lawyer has to point out where things are not equal- like the truck being illegally parked, in your example.

If someone is about to hit you from behind, it makes sense to move ahead and avoid being hit. But if you stop, the vehicle behind can not claim you stopped too quickly and if you had not, he would not have hit you. A simplistic example, but I hope you get what I mean.
Old 27th March 2008, 16:21   #139
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Yup, he died in a road accident. His convoy of 2 cars was tearing through the punjab country roads as if they own the land(All cars with red light on top do that)
Sadly Fate does does not distinguish between the rich or poor, and he breathed his last in PGI Chandigarh

Red beacon cars are the next big hazard and the way they weave in and out in a highway is very dangerious - seen 2 incidents whereby they just missed accidents.

Quote:
Zail Singh's death: RI for truck driver

CHANDIGARH, DEC. 6. A court at Roopnagar, near here, has sentenced the truck driver involved in the accident leading to the death of former President, Zail Singh, on December 25, 1994, to rigorous imprisonment for two years.
The Roopnagar district Chief Judicial Magistrate, Mr. Balbeer Singh, delivered the verdict convicting the driver, Tarsem Lal, of offences relating to rash driving, causing grievous injury and death by negligence. The complainant, ASI Ramkishan, who was then in- charge of Bharatgarh police post and was deputed on VIP duty on November 29, 1994, said at about three in the afternoon, the accused despite indication from the pilot brought his truck to the wrong side of the road and struck the Ambassador car (PB-12- 0601) damaging the car and injuring its occupants including the former President.
Giani Zail Singh received injuries on his right arm and different parts of his body which resulted in his death after a month-long treatment on December 25, 1994

Last edited by adc : 27th March 2008 at 16:27.
Old 27th March 2008, 16:27   #140
BHPian

Thought I will post the location from google maps.
Attached Thumbnails
Horrific accident in the GQ between Chennai-Bangalore-gq_acc2.jpg  

Old 27th March 2008, 17:35   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
There was no signal at the junction. Why should a car anticipate the bus turn? Its bus's 100% responsibility to ensure that while getting into highway its safe for everyone. This country will go no where by blaming the car.
In most new multilane highways, there will be a sign about 50 meters (not sure of the distance) before there is a median gap. If we see this signal, we should be cautious even if there is not signal.

Of course there are a lot other things that can go wrong in India. I'm just trying to say that signal is not the only thing even in rule book.
Old 27th March 2008, 17:50   #142
Senior - BHPian

LandCruiser, if the location as mentioned by you is the same, then it is more of the car drivers fault as you cannot do that high just after taking the left turn, immediately after that there is the Pondicherry turn as well where buses / vehicles keep on criss crossing.

people generally cross that at 60-70kmph and then do higher speeds and there are enough space for drivers on NH46 to see who is coming and who not.

Abhi
Old 27th March 2008, 18:39   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
LandCruiser, if the location as mentioned by you is the same, then it is more of the car drivers fault as you cannot do that high just after taking the left turn, immediately after that there is the Pondicherry turn as well where buses / vehicles keep on criss crossing.

people generally cross that at 60-70kmph and then do higher speeds and there are enough space for drivers on NH46 to see who is coming and who not.

Abhi
Yes. Considering that the area is still within city limits the possible speed of that car was high. Like you noted there is a even bigger crossing just half kilometer before. When I made that first diagram I was thinking how he would have reached speeds close to 150kmph just after taking that left turn. Rash!

But at the same time the bus cant simply turn without waiting to see if some one is coming, that too when it was dark.
Old 27th March 2008, 20:08   #144
Senior - BHPian

There are a few such spots all along the GQ to Chennai. I do Chennai - Bangalore atleast once in two months and I almost know it like the back of my hand.

When you hit the outskirts of Hosur you have a few of them. Then a right junction just after you get down the Hosur flyover.

Sulagiri exit and entry points on the left side of the GQ is another major problem. Countless lives have been lost there.

Veppanappali exit (Kundarapalli) on the left side just a couple of kms before the Krishnagiri toll gate has also claimed lives.

The right towards Tiruvannamalai is pretty ok as its a major junction. This is hardly a km after you take left towards Chennai. After that there are a couple more exit points from Krishnagiri. This is where the accident has happened.

My native place is Krishnagiri and I've seen countless accidents in that area. My uncle who lives there always cautions me about Krishnagiri and Ambur sector.

I've actually called out a lot of these problems in the Chennai - Bangalore thread.

Vaniyambadi to Ambur is also scary. The protective fencing on the medians have been removed at places and you will find all sorts of vehicles and people jumping across the road !!

Vellore, especially after the last flyover on the bypass (i think its the 6th) is madness. Just like Ambur where they've ploughed the GQ right through the heart of the town.
Old 27th March 2008, 20:55   #145
rks
BANNED

Clearly the fault of the bus driver. But one must also consider whether there were sufficient warning signals, from both directions, that the road was forking at that point. The bus driver may have simply misjudged the speed of the car, which could have been excessive. I remember there was a T-BHP thread on whether India is ready for super-cars. We clearly are not ready. If a car does speeds in the range of 150+ kmph it can be very difficult for slow-moving vehicles like buses (which will take forever to cross such a wide road) to judge the speed and fatal accidents in scenarios like these are always possible.

A thorough investigation is needed and proper action should be taken to make all such intersections safe. My feeling is that there should be flashing signal lights above the road at such points, so that drivers from both directions can clearly see the danger and slow down well in time. Plus may be a series of small bumps with yellow paint on them (as in the Expressway exit towards Pune) will warn the driver too. In the Mumbai Pune Expressway too there are small breaks in the dividers and I shudder to think what would happen if people frequently used these breaks to take U-turns.

I myself take a U-turn every week as I fuel at the BP bunk on the Pune side (where I get unadulterated Speed 97) and then travel towards Mumbai. I can see the great danger of misjudging the speed of approaching vehicles (from both directions) as I make the right turn from the right-most lane and wait at the break in the (huge) divider to get back on the road towards Mumbai.
Old 27th March 2008, 21:24   #146
BANNED

Quote:
In case A & B are involved in a head-on collision, wherein B came on the wrong lane, or stopped where he was not supposed to or whatever, the law will hold that person responsible who had the 'last and final opportunity' to avoid the accident but FAILED to do so.
The doctrine of "last opportunity" is a part of the law of torts - the law relating to civil damages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_clear_chance

In law of Tort, particularly that related to motor accidents, the guiding principle however is to apply the doctrine which makes the insurance company liable.

That will not hold good in criminal prosecution. Criminal courts (courts which try criminal cases, not those courts which are criminals ) apply different principles to determine liability.
Old 27th March 2008, 21:30   #147
BANNED

I have seen buses coming out of Krishnagiri town at that junction at 8 pm without any headlights on. I have had to panic brake on some occasions thanks to such drivers.

Same for buses coming from Bargur and turning right into Krishnagiri at that junction.
They give a damn for who else is on the road.

The car may have been going very fast but let's not absolve the bus driver.

On the topic of the GQ, it is fast but one needs to be ultra cautious at all times. csentil has said it all.

Last edited by hrag : 27th March 2008 at 21:32.
Old 28th March 2008, 09:25   #148
BANNED

This is what the family of the deceased, or a group interested in highway safety must do:

1. Sue the bus driver for his negligence & disregard for other automobiles on the highway
2. Sue the bus corporation for failing to inculcate best driving practices
3. Sue highway traffic patrol for not taking action on high speed driving, failure to obey highway rules
4. Sue NHAI for failing to put up appropriate warning signs at the junctions.
Old 4th April 2008, 08:35   #149
BHPian

Hmmm.. Again.. I symapathize with the bus driver. That bus is a govt TNSTC who is mostly well behaved and easy to predict.. one you done the GQ a couple of times. (NOt like the Dolby Digital or Rolls royce which usually cut at St. Johns)

From my involvement with buses I'd say it is quite difficuolt to go below A TNSTC bus from the side.. because they have that body which extends quite bit down..

My opinion is that... THe car was doing insane speeds... 150 is a speed which I haven't herad of anywhere..except in the German autobahn. I used to drive at 120 odd in hosur.. But in US.. the fines are so steep so that anybody wouldn't dare take above 70mph in well fenced off Freeways.

My point is... Those roads are not meant for 100mph driving... If somebody does so.. He does it on his own risk.. It is not like you have to redline your car on ever nice straight highway.. If Americans did that with their V8's on the freeway.. there would be massacre...

Drive responsibly... Before knowing your cars's limits.. do understand the limits of your road.. I'm sorry for the guys who passed away.. but ignoring the facts and blaming the poor truck and bus drivers and NHAI does not make anything better.

10 years back all those souls were driving on pothholes driveways.. and now everybody wants autobahn speedlimits.. Don't forget where we started from.. and GQ is a small step in improvement. It is not the final thing.. Be thankful for it...
Old 4th April 2008, 09:05   #150
Senior - BHPian

Thank god it was a suggesstion/comment post. The moment I saw this new post, was shocked if its going to be one more accident story on GQ.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks