Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2008, 09:20   #151
BHPian

I had mine on the GQ... I was lucky to walk away... And i always wish I was doing 60 instead of the 80.. on that intersection...
Old 4th April 2008, 12:46   #152
Senior - BHPian

On my stayover in Krishnagiri a couple of days back I had a chance to talk to my friends and relatives there about the incident. Its the last exit from Krishnagiri if you are going towards Chennai and the first entry to Krishnagiri if you are coming from the Chennai side of the GQ. There is a newly constructed bridge in the exit/entry road and the road has been laid nicely.

Also most buses coming from the Chennai side take a right here to go into Krishnagiri. For the regulars of that area its a known turning along with the Thiruvannamalai junction thats a few 100 mtrs ahead.

The bus driver was at fault for not noticing the car. Given his visibility factor its easy to make out a car approaching on the other side even with the divider barricades. The whole stretch has divider barricades. For a car, it sometimes tougher with the barricades to see what's on the other side.
Old 4th April 2008, 17:58   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
diabloo baba, even a little driving experience in India will teach you to anticipate anything. Anticipating a vehicle to come out of nowhere into the break in median is just a small thing. Always better to slow down when you see a break in the median or your visibility is not more than 400m (app) or when you see some uncertain elements not knowing what they want to do. Yeah, you are right, technically & legally the car driver is not at fault, but who has paid for that ? Better to be a safe driver & protect yourself than to expect others to be safe drivers. Just my .02
Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Yes, when we are driving on Indian roads & highways, EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED!
It's not enough if you are a 'safe' driver. You need to be a 'clever' driver to stay out of trouble and that means going fast if required to get out of sticky situation.

It's SURVIVAL OF FITTEST on indian highways not SURVIVAL OF THE SAFEST
Old 25th February 2009, 11:59   #154
Ice
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_v View Post
It's SURVIVAL OF FITTEST on indian highways not SURVIVAL OF THE SAFEST
Well said, Praveen. Anticipation is THE most important asset you should posses on our highways. This has been mentioned time and again on this thread and on the forum itself. But how do you start anticipating better?

It boils down to experience, in my opinion. And more kilometers > more experience > better anticipation. In many western countries, one mile on a highway is very similar to another, but not on our roads. The GQ has roads that are straight as an arrow, with thick bushy flora on the medians, between Blr and Chennai. The same GQ has many ups and downs and a solid metal fence on the embankments while driving from Hubli to Pune!

For people who are not confidence of their anticipation or experience, slower speeds are the best option.

Touching on 'Fitness' as a key tool for survival - folks, please get sufficient rest before heading out on the highway. Eat right, and don't drink the night before! The moment your mind starts drifting, pull over. A drifting mind normally indicates fatigue = slower/no anticipation.

Drive safe, people
Old 14th September 2010, 23:16   #155
BHPian

Last Friday morning at 7:15 a.m - 5 km before the Krishnagiri T-junction, we saw two volvo buses crash and a crane behind them with quite some crowd. I asked my wife to pick up the camera to shoot the incident. But then we saw 2 girls (probably bus passengers) who were sitting on the median and looking the other way and weeping. As my wife was about to shoot they looked at us. We immediately kept the camera inside. The girls might be thinking - what kind of people these are - we are involved in an accident here and their clicking away. This brings the point - do we need the accident pictures thread in the forum. Interesting I thought of clicking and posting it on that thread, then. But we did not click after we saw those girls weeping. Just some food for thought...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks