Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2012, 12:04   #76
BHPian

Re: How to prevent your car from getting towed away

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortopilot View Post
@Magikrider : check out 12V Electric Air Compressor Pump Car Bike Tyre Inflator | eBay

Seems to be decent enough and at 400/- worth a shot I guess!!!
Please avoid it at all cost(the ~400rs one) its built quality is horrible and usability a dampner, I would rather suggest and shell out for the 750 odd model. Why? because I had an experience of using one. It takes ages to fill up one tyre (around 12 minutes from 11PS to 32PS. was trying to take my car to the puncture guy by filling the affected tyre.)
After a few more times of later usage the nozzle itself broke and finally it found its place in the dumpyard.
Old 13th April 2012, 12:36   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8guzzler View Post
I have seen the tow guys use a ruler and open the door of cars and disengage the gear and handbrake before they tow the car away.
Not with the cops but this is an experience with the Service station. While servicing my Estilo, the key was left inside once with all windows/doors closed. Guys tried to do that old trick with ruler but it failed. I was witty about their incapability. I was updated that Estilo has some 'plate' to prevent such theft incidents. Not sure if this is true coz alot of premium cars can be picked up by this old trick.
Old 13th April 2012, 13:09   #78
BHPian

Nowadays the traffic cops have started using wheel locks on the premium cars that they cannot pick up.

My Zen got towed around 2 months back, it was parked besides the Audi's (since there is an Audi showroom below my office). Of all the cars, my car was a scapegoat. I made a huge ruckus at the traffic beat stating that why weren't Audi's towed and only my car ? I get a response from them stating that 'saab, aap bhi Audi khareed lo, aapki bhi nahi uthayenge'

After a few day's , I saw them locking up an Audi A4 and a Skoda Laura.

After that incident of me fighting with them at the beat, I've seen that there are cops in that area and Audi is made to park in an orderly manner
yogeshnagpal is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th April 2012, 10:42   #79
BHPian

Buy a Marauder you will never be towed, watch this video to know why -
Thilak29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2012, 12:02   #80
BHPian

Opened this thread expecting some good suggestions by T-bhpians(especially when I saw it in the hot threads list) but I must say I'm utterly disappointed. If I'm the OP, I would feel insulted.

While any effort to prevent your car from getting towed is not worth it or not justifiable, I think there are ways to do it if someone wishes to. I guess it's possible to install an advanced mechanism(or even adjust the existing mechanism) that can increase the pulling force exerted on the handbrake considerably(much more than the ones in our cars do). Who would try to drag a car along the road?

Last edited by fast&furious : 15th April 2012 at 12:04.
Old 15th April 2012, 12:40   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnagpal View Post
Nowadays the traffic cops have started using wheel locks on the premium cars that they cannot pick up.

My Zen got towed around 2 months back, it was parked besides the Audi's (since there is an Audi showroom below my office). Of all the cars, my car was a scapegoat. I made a huge ruckus at the traffic beat stating that why weren't Audi's towed and only my car ? I get a response from them stating that 'saab, aap bhi Audi khareed lo, aapki bhi nahi uthayenge'

After a few day's , I saw them locking up an Audi A4 and a Skoda Laura.

After that incident of me fighting with them at the beat, I've seen that there are cops in that area and Audi is made to park in an orderly manner
The Mumbai cops have really got a great sense of humor
However, these days they don't even spare the Audis. And not very long back, I saw an orange R8 V10 being toed away in Delhi Saw it on some automobile page on FB. Will upload the pic if I find it.
Old 15th April 2012, 19:57   #82
BHPian

How to prevent your car from getting towed away-4087859748_d32635b188.jpg

Maybe you could buy yourself a big shiny yellow boot for your car that you put on the car when you're leaving it. That way if the towing truck notices your car, they'll think this 'violator' is already taken care of!
Musicmaker23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2012, 09:17   #83
BHPian

Probably said earlier , but if you sit in the car it would mean that you plan to drive off shortly. With this people double park and sit in the car for a long time or have drivers to do that.
Old 16th April 2012, 15:50   #84
BHPian

Put your mother in law inside the car.
karan86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2012, 18:08   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan86 View Post
Put your mother in law inside the car.
That is when you want your car to be towed away

Hope wifey doesn't read this
Adi_k is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th April 2012, 22:38   #86
Senior - BHPian

I have tried this and it works, park slightly away from the market areas and walk down for your work / shopping. I have tried it at Green Park, Defense Colony, Pitampura and Sarojini Nagar. Never had any problems - touch wood. Park near the market crowd and you have invited trouble !
Old 17th April 2012, 16:29   #87

Since a lot of posting seems to be happening on the side of hilarity, here are my two cents.

Sell your existing car, and invest in a tow truck. When was the last time you saw a tow truck towing another?
Old 17th April 2012, 18:04   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast&furious View Post
..... I guess it's possible to install an advanced mechanism(or even adjust the existing mechanism) that can increase the pulling force exerted on the handbrake considerably(much more than the ones in our cars do). Who would try to drag a car along the road?
Hi, I understand that it is possible to release the handbrake on some cars from underneath. I have seen that being done

Cheers
harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2012, 23:43   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Hi, I understand that it is possible to release the handbrake on some cars from underneath. I have seen that being done

Cheers
How do they do it? By cutting the brake cable? Never heard of something like that.
Old 18th April 2012, 23:45   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnagpal View Post
Is there any way the owners of the cars with wheel locks can simply change the tyre and drive off? I know a regular toolkit can't be used because the side plate blocks the nuts, but perhaps a differently-shaped wrench?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks