Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2008, 13:52   #16
Senior - BHPian

I generally think Bangalore Traffic cops are a harried lot. No one seems to listen to them, unlike Chennai were a single traffic cop is enough for a junction !! Its nothing to do with Chennaities being good citizens but more due to fear for the cops and their methods of handling people. I've found most Bangalore cops to be soft spoken !!

Good that they are dishing it out. I don't mind the checks late at night for drunken driving or overspeeding. Would definitely like them to catch vehicles which jump signals and drive in the wrong direction. That would be a big help.

Actually a couple of weekends back they made a record haul in fines in just one weekend. There is also some thought process going in to ease traffic congestion in certain areas. Lets hope for the best.
Old 29th April 2008, 13:59   #17
BANNED

I think Police is there to confiscate election money. Some 4 crores cash was found in an Innova near Maddur. 10 lakhs cahs in an Omni at 1AM in Mysore and list goes on.
Not to forget the sarees, dhotis, alcohol meant to be distributed among voters.
Old 29th April 2008, 14:01   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
unlike Chennai were a single traffic cop is enough for a junction !!
Nope, in Chennai, you need a single traffic cop for every road that meets at a junction.
Old 29th April 2008, 14:03   #19
Senior - BHPian

The thing now also is that they are drawing as much fines as they can from the public in all valid and invalid ways as now there is no government which is going to change soon, and then they will have pressure from politicians for various reasons, so they can raise as much revenue as they can till the elections. Then things will slow down.
Old 29th April 2008, 14:16   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
One very important point he made was about citizens helping out with offenders. He said if one can provide photo of any offender, the police will fine them and use the photo as evidence. Eg: bikers riding on footpath etc. Honestly, I think it can make the wait in traffic lights a bit more interesting
Oh, then we can take some snaps of BMTC buses which parked middle on the road, blocking the traffic. Will they fine the BMTC driver or will they take any action? I can see a lot of this instance in and around Marthahalli.
Old 29th April 2008, 15:03   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Samurai I think his name is Saleem and his email address is dcptrafficeast@gmail.com .
Thanks! I was looking for this email ID. Its time to start carrying a point&shoot in the bag from now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavu75 View Post
Oh, then we can take some snaps of BMTC buses which parked middle on the road, blocking the traffic. Will they fine the BMTC driver or will they take any action? I can see a lot of this instance in and around Marthahalli.
We should definitely take the photos and send them. Who knows? It could be used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
Sad thing is it is mostly 2 wheelers that get stopped.
Just stole the words off my mouth. Thats so true, its the two wheelers which are mostly among the ones caught.

Its really funny to see some of the strategies adopted by the traffic cops. There is a one way near NMKRV college, which is like a 'fine-paradise' for the cops. Usually a cop with t-shirt and sporting sunglasses waits for the bait there Its hilarious to see the expression on the faces of the people who are just caught! Signs of sheer disbelief!!

Hope the cops start the offence against the loud horns and the reverse horns too. That would silence the city a little bit.
Old 29th April 2008, 15:13   #22
Team-BHP Support

I have noticed the same as well. However what i find is that they still turn a blind eye to cabbies as well as autos. IMO, they are the ones who care the least for road safety and driving etiquette.
Old 29th April 2008, 15:13   #23
Team-BHP Support

Wish they did something about lynching mob. They should ban lynching mobs, anybody found beating drivers after an accident should be arrested.
Old 29th April 2008, 15:21   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Wish they did something about lynching mob. They should ban lynching mobs, anybody found beating drivers after an accident should be arrested.
Arrested by whom? The cops are too sissy to even think of doing that.
Old 29th April 2008, 15:49   #25
Senior - BHPian

huh?? Reading some of the comments here, I wonder when will we ever stop complaining !! I mean, If the traffic police dont do their job, we complain. And even if they go about doing their job religiously (booking the violators and producing printed receipts for the fine), we still complain !!
Old 29th April 2008, 17:12   #26
Senior - BHPian

Well, that is human nature

Guess, you are complaining about the complaints

Ok, I am out of here

Last edited by safari_lover : 29th April 2008 at 17:15.
Old 29th April 2008, 20:01   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
To quote an instance our D-bhpian Vidyut had a recent experience with the cops in town which was pretty promising that the cops are willing to lend a helping hand.
Yup true, the cops were very very helpful.

A lorry guy scraped my front bumper on hosur road and I made him pull over. What happened next was unbelievable. A mob gathered around and from the mob one guy started fighting with me and my friends for no reason. We tried telling him that it was between the 2 drivers and he should move on but he would not budge. He got 10-15 of his guys surrounded us and said if you want to talk you talk with me and not the driver and he sidelined the driver. It was futile as he started punching my car and pushing us around. Told him to come with the driver to the cops if he was interested but he said no we are not moving, you call the cops here. All thsi while they were abusing us and we were trying to keep calm.

The gang's argument was that we are IT people and make enough money so we should not argue over a bumper of few thousand rupees and let the lorry driver go. They were also claiming that it's always the smaller vehicle at fault and not the lorry drivers especially when it's IT guys who can't drive but have the money to buy a car.

Sensing trouble I fled from there with my friends and pulled over to the E-city police check post. Narrated the whole incident to the cops who told me to wait with them and tell them when the lorry comes. After 25 mins the lorry guy appeared and moved to the right lane pretending not to see. The cops tried to stop him but he fled. The main inspector immediately radioed the next junction a few 100 metres away to stop the lorry. We saw the cops ahead trying to stop him and this chap suddenly takes a U-turn and drives back towards Hosur side. The main inspector with us sees this and 2 cops charge towards the opposite side of the road and jump over the divider and manage to stop the lorry. They pull the guy out and beat him up with a stick and bring him to the main inspector and us.

The main inspector tells him that he will book him for rash driving and hitting my car, then for ganging up with public and 3rd for running away from cops. He tells the driver that he will have to go to lock-up for 3 days, license revoked and lorry seized. Obviously that was a trick to scare the lorry guy which worked. He started begging us and acted all innocent. The cops asked me what I wanted to do. He was telling me that the guy will say no money but 2 whacks from the stick will make the money magically appear. The lorry guy was pretty innocent and it was the mob which created more trouble. I told the cop to leave him as it was just a bumper and just warn him. The cop said he will let him go after half hour so he doesn't follow us and create trouble ahead.

I thanked all the inspectors for their cooperation. The main inspector said what we did was very smart as getting into a fight with the mob was useless. He also said that worst case they may have torched your car.
He told me to come to the cops whenever anything happens and not get involved with the public. I left from there and I don't know what happened to the lorry guy after that.
Old 29th April 2008, 20:23   #28
BHPian

I cant believe the cops were so co-operative! Generally they are least interested to know what happened where.
Old 29th April 2008, 20:50   #29
Senior - BHPian

Pollution certificate !

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
I was also challaned for not having a pollution cert (300 bucks) but then that is my fault and I agree I should have renewed it.
By the way, how often we have to renew the pollution certificate ? Please give your gyan, I have a 2 wheeler 2 years old and a Car just 1 year old. Never did any pollution test till date. Please advise. Thanks.
Old 29th April 2008, 21:03   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
By the way, how often we have to renew the pollution certificate ? Please give your gyan, I have a 2 wheeler 2 years old and a Car just 1 year old. Never did any pollution test till date. Please advise. Thanks.
PUC Certificates vary from 3 months to 6 months in different states. You may want to check with your local PUC Agency (Generally available in Petrol Pumps) to get exact details.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks