Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2008, 16:27   #16
Senior - BHPian

My oh my.. Sorry to hear what happened mate. Am sure the dude on the bike was a part of this crime.
Also are you sure no-one was watching you at the bank ?
Old 30th May 2008, 16:28   #17
Senior - BHPian

sorry to hear of this man.
did you by some chance get the bike number?

ref your license and PAN Card- i hope you have photocopies? - If so, you can get one re-issued by filing a simple FIR with the details at the nearest police station and taking the photocopies to the nearest RTO for re-issual of license and contact https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/pan/index.html for re-issual of PAN Card.

In case you dont have photocopies readily available you might have given photocopies of your license and PAN card for some recent loan transaction and/ or the car showroom when you bought your car and/ or any credit card application/ bank account / passport/ visa, your office HR/ Finance Dept/ IT Declaration/ Return filing etc. think back and it might ring a bell somewhere.
hope this helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburagohain View Post
Guys, sharing my bad experience on the street today morning.

I had to do some money transfer and had gone to the SBI branch in Mico Layout, Bangalore. After the job was done, I started the vehicle and had hardly gone any distance, an autoguy told me there was oil leaking from the fuel tank lid, so I stopped at the petrol bunk that comes on the BTM main road and got down, locking the vehicle as is the habit. Went around to the other side and there was a very helpful young guy who was pointing out the leak from the fuel tank lid, another guy on motorcycle standing nearby started saying the leak would catch fire and all and I should wipe off immediately. So I opened the front left door and took out a piece of wiping cloth, it seemed someone had poured some mobil on the lid, pure case of pre-planning. After the wiping was done and I was convinced that the leak was not a leak but some oil poured from the outside, the helpful young guy asked me to check the bottom of the vehicle which I reluctantly did. All done, the helpful guy rode away with the bike wala and after a minute or two, I too got into my vehicle and started off, immediately to notice that my handbag which was lying on the co-driver's seat was gone, I had forgotten to lock the left door after taking out the wiping cloth..

Nothing much to do, went around the block a little in a faint hope of locating the guys on bike and then decided to spend the time calling up the banks to block the atm cards etc instead. My wallet is gone, so has 25k and along with it my license and PAN card and chequebooks, spare car keys and some other small things.

The cards and chequebooks have been blocked already, now I am here to find out how can I get a license again and if possible, how to get a duplicate PAN card that was issued in Delhi some 5 years back, would be grateful if anyone could help me with any info. Is it absolutely necessary to go through the entire learner's license and waiting period stuff all over again?

Should I get the car locks changed and if so, any idea how much would that set me back for a Safari?

Well, I suffered it, want to spread the word and caution you all against these kinda things.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 30th May 2008 at 16:32.
Old 30th May 2008, 16:29   #18
Senior - BHPian

Very sad to hear this aburagohain. But there are umpteen number of posts here on T-BHP about these cheats. I can understand what you are going through. You got to change the door locks at least, if not the entire set.
Old 30th May 2008, 16:30   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Am sure the dude on the bike was a part of this crime. Also are you sure no-one was watching you at the bank ?
It definitely started at the bank Riju. These muggers observe their targets and follow them till they reach a fairly secluded spot and then rob them.
Old 30th May 2008, 16:32   #20
BHPian

Really sad to hear this mate, I do not know where the world is going.
Old 30th May 2008, 16:39   #21
Senior - BHPian

This is the saddest thing I have heard today. Please register an FIR asap. Except the money everything else can be replaced.
Old 30th May 2008, 16:47   #22
Senior - BHPian

Few months back it was robbery outside ATMs at odd hours !! Now its isolating lonely drivers even at day light !! Most of such incidents are happening because the victim gets into panic mode and forgets everything else. I could imagine a 2 wheeler chap getting robbed. But a safari guy, tough to believe and scary to accept the odacity of such gangs going to any extend to get things done.
Old 30th May 2008, 16:48   #23
BHPian

SORRY to hear that...
Well this is a lesson for others reading this post to beware when you are carrying heavy cash and valuables, reach a safe destination to your house then first make your cash or valubles safe, then look at the problem...
Old 30th May 2008, 17:00   #24
Senior - BHPian

Sad....very sad, its all part of their modus operandi, they wait near the ATM's, select a target, follow and then cheat them.

Get your Safari locks (& Security system) changed immediately.

Please keep such things out of sight and in the glove compartment which is lockable.
Old 30th May 2008, 18:16   #25
BHPian

thanks guys for your kind support, i needed that to lighten up..

just back from the police station, all they say is get an affidavit made that the things lost were in fact mine and then only will they write an fir.. now i am seriously reconsidering the fir thing, my license was issued in assam and the pan card at delhi, so if i am to get new ones, going the learners->wait->final dl seems to be a better option, at least i'll have some useful identity proof that is local to bangalore, to think on the positive side.

regarding pan card, it seems to be easier to apply online and get a reprint, thanks for the link shankar. one of my colleagues had also done the same on losing his wallet in a restaurant.

so do you guys still think i should go and get the affidavit and fir thing done? is not making much sense to me.

will be changing the locks for sure, planning to go for an immobilizer system also this time, will post in the correct threads, help me out there please.

regarding guy in safari getting duped, i guess it can happen to anyone, the hard way learnt lesson is not to lose the head when some minor problems crop up, as long as one is inside the car, things are safe, get outside and anything can go wrong.. especially at night. consoling myself that only the money is gone, it can be replaced, getting mugged and losing everything could have been a much worse scenario. so guys, do be careful during your daily commutes, we tend to take great precautions going on long drives but forget/ ignore the same on short commutes, like the biker who doesn't wear a helmet while riding to the nearby shop..
Old 30th May 2008, 18:29   #26
BHPian

Man, this really sucks! Feel very sorry for you, but ya, things could have gone much worse. And really, if I hadn't read this, I would have also easily fallen for the trap if I faced it. Just proves that we have to be extremely paranoid and skeptical when it comes to talking to strangers...so much so that we might actually be rude to some genuine samaritan.
Old 30th May 2008, 18:32   #27
BHPian

Quote:
so do you guys still think i should go and get the affidavit and fir thing done? is not making much sense to me.
It does make a lot of sense .I tell you how . You lost your personal documents like DL Pan Card and now in the world full of terrorism and all that Scams your IDs could be used by someone in future and then this FIR and Afadavit will be the only thing to prove that you actually lost them .

So its very much needed and its easy thing to do but might look complicated . As in Punjab if you go local Magistrate office or Court complex you can find a dozen of people ready to type such afadavit and get it signed by Magistrate for 200-300 rs max so just get the afadavit and get it registered in Police station and then keep that thing Safe with you

I hope it helps

Dr Jatinder Singh
Old 30th May 2008, 18:34   #28
BHPian

Tough luck Apratim. **** happens!

IMHO, changing the locks would be an over-kill. Rather go for an immobilizer and that should be fine.

\N
Old 30th May 2008, 18:37   #29
BHPian

oops i didn't think on those lines.. you are very right dr jatinder, thanks!
Old 30th May 2008, 18:40   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Tough luck Apratim. **** happens!

IMHO, changing the locks would be an over-kill. Rather go for an immobilizer and that should be fine.

\N
wow, thanks nitin, that's one good clear headed thinking there

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks