Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2009, 00:59   #151
Senior - BHPian

Rights!

Everyone in India has rights (except you) and no duties or responsibilities!

What we see on our roads is a mere symptom of that malaise.

Cheers, life goes on!
Old 4th February 2009, 11:43   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post

My guests tell me to this day, how they saw a flying cow in India, and how good our drivers' reaction times are. If such an incident had happened in th US, there was sure to be a crash.

Mera Bharat Mahaan!
yeah the US has so many pile ups - I am guessing our reaction times are so honed in and besides we don't have stuff like cruise control, etc. so we are never relaxed and always in control!!
Old 4th February 2009, 19:47   #153
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
My cousin in B'lore had a similar incident last week. The guy's about 5'8",and about 65kgs.Not big built at all.
He was driving somewhere near Residency Rd,and a moron in a Civic kept weaving in and out of traffic almost clipping my cousin's Safari. Naturally,my cousin honked a few times,and used the dipper once.He just wanted to warn the moron not to drive that way. The guy in the Civic decided to stop at the next lights( cash Pharmacy,I believe),and got out of his car and came charging to open the driver's door. Call it presence of mind or plain wit,my cousin waited till the last second and as the moron tugged at the door handle, my cousin pushed the door from the inside. Crash boom bang..and the moron was on the road,flat out on his back! Absolutely hilarious sight,and with what little dignity he had,the guy picked himself up and walked back to his car.

Guess these things are needed once in a while!
You are right sir, next time I come across such a moron and God i wish it be the same one, I'll teach him a proper lesson. By the way, I did happen to get a challan for over speeding and rash driving sent to his address along with a letter in the choicest hindi and punjabi words through a traffic police contact of mine. Just couldn't resist.
Old 5th February 2009, 01:30   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharti22shresth View Post
You are right sir, next time I come across such a moron and God i wish it be the same one, I'll teach him a proper lesson. By the way, I did happen to get a challan for over speeding and rash driving sent to his address along with a letter in the choicest hindi and punjabi words through a traffic police contact of mine. Just couldn't resist.
Perfecto! Good job done!
Old 6th February 2009, 12:09   #155
BHPian

Please Drive Responsibly.

This happened on the 80 feet road in HRBR layout at around 6.30pm, yesterday, Feb 05,2009.

Hello - this post is not to demean anybody's driving skills, just to add a word of caution.

Yesterday, I passed by a Baleno (PB08) registered, who, took a sharp turn on the wrong-side of the road, drove for a small length on the wrong-side of the road, which he seemed to do just because he did not want to take a U-turn before he stopped at the tender coconut vendor.

Gentleman, we are members of a forum - the sticker of which was pasted large on the rear of your car - where we learn a lot from others experiences and also how to drive better and responsibly.

Also, I do not wish to point a finger at you for something wrong, but am just sharing my thoughts.

Kindly avoid driving on the wrong-side of the road.

Last edited by MuraliR : 6th February 2009 at 12:11.
Old 6th February 2009, 13:44   #156
Team-BHP Support

suzuki baleno 05 my punjab reg car in blore - alias's Photo Gallery - Team-BHP

Was it this car? It belongs to a member alias.
Old 6th February 2009, 13:59   #157
BHPian

Yes sir, very much and I also indicated that in my earlier post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuraliR View Post
Gentleman, we are members of a forum - the sticker of which was pasted large on the rear of your car...
Kindly avoid driving on the wrong-side of the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Old 6th February 2009, 20:13   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

Hah! Perhaps we should have a Name and Shame thread --- to encourage each other to stick to the rules

I must remember not to add a TBHP sticker on my car!
Old 6th February 2009, 23:13   #159
Senior - BHPian

Thats unfortunate. We talk about a lot of things, but when it comes to implementing it, it ain't happening!
Old 7th February 2009, 00:25   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Hey Vid. I ve seen this car in the Dell Office - Inner Ring Road. Does this person work for Dell? Beacuse I do not know him personally.
Old 14th September 2010, 23:22   #161
BHPian

Finally after going through searching through the Bangalore street experiences (there is no dedicated thread on it,) I found this is where I can share my experience of last Sunday (12th Sept.) I was crossing over from 100ft road to 80ft road in Indira Nagar on the 6th main road, close to the church. Suddenly a girl and a boy were playing the chase and touch game on the street. From no where they just appeared in front of us. Screeeeeeech! Just in the nick of time. Good lord. Probably parents attending the mass saved them. Jesus saves!
Old 14th August 2014, 15:08   #162
BHPian

Can we implement this harsh law in India?

Hi All

I live in Pune and daily commute to work from Kalyaninagar to Hinjewadi Ph2 which is approximately 28 kms one way.
It's been 2 years now since I started driving to work. When I started I was excited to drive as my car Figo was brand new and I was ready to race!

Slowly the driver in me is dying! The road traffic, road conditions, clogging and most importantly attitude of people are the culprits. Things are absolutely deteriorating day by day. I feel Pune has got the worst traffic sense (pardon me if I am offending anyone here).

Few observations:
  • I try to stop behind the stop line/zebra cross at signal; people start honking. They feel I am creating traffic jams by stopping in between. They want to stop right below the pole.
  • I wait for a red signal to turn green, even before it turns green, people start honking. Even when everybody jumps signal, nobody is there on the other side to cross, I patiently wait at the signal. Again people honk and give me dirty looks.
  • When I confront a person going in a wrong lane, I am greeted with an angry look.
  • People absolutely don't look at signals. They first look for the police and then if no one moving at a junction, they move on. Even when signal has turned red but the vehicle in front is stuck due to clogging ahead, he pushes his vehicle in the queue. Causing obstruction for people at either side of the junction, who started moving due to green signal, worsening the situation
  • Nobody wants to wait even for a second and honking is the birth right.
  • Changing lanes with no turn indicators and always push through whatever available space
  • Complete lack of regards for pedestrians. They will run down pedestrian crossing the road but won't stop even if he/she is a senior citizen, school kid, a woman etc
  • Spitting on the road through windows or by opening the door

I feel drained, enraged when I am back home driving through such mad traffic.

There are lot of factors which cause utter disregard towards others on road and make people so selfish and inhuman. And merely increasing fines from Rs 100 to Rs 500 won't help as people will always go scot free by bribing police. Indian people won't follow rules till they are penalized heavily. If we sense there is a potential financial loss in doing so, we retreat. Hence what I can think of is
  1. If a vehicle has jumped a signal and caused the accident ahead no vehicle/personal damage will be covered from his vehicle's insurer company and health insurance company. He will have no say if police case is lodged by the other party. he will be prosecuted like a criminal.
  2. If a person is driving in a wrong lane, and person going in the right direction bangs into him, the same rule applies. No compensation from insurer and the accident causing vehicle has to pay the other party as well heavily.
  3. If the run continues say more than thrice; owner has to pay the road tax again. Till then his vehicle remains confiscated.
  4. In addition to monetary fine; police should make the offenders wait till eternity so that their "precious" time is screwed.

I know it's difficult to implement in India particularly to prove who has jumped the signal or driven in a wrong lane but; CCTV and mobile camera can help a lot in this regard.
StepUP! is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 16:19   #163
Senior - BHPian

Re: Can we implement this harsh law in India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
... and most importantly attitude of people are the culprits.

There are lot of factors which cause utter disregard towards others on road and make people so selfish and inhuman.

And merely increasing fines from Rs 100 to Rs 500 won't help as people will always go scot free by bribing police.

Indian people won't follow rules till they are penalized heavily. If we sense there is a potential financial loss in doing so, we retreat.
Well the attitude really sucks. And this is passed on from parents to children, among friends and peers. To be honest typical Puneri is like a villager who doesn't have a clue how his actions will affect everyone around. In short there is no civilization.

But to pacify you, at least the situation is not as uncivilized and barbaric as in Delhi and its neighboring areas where people get angered and resort to violence every now and then.

Fines have to become equivalent to European ones. As you rightly said having meek fines of Rs 100 doesn't matter to anyone these days.

And the traffic police has to exist. I only see TP (traffic police) doing TP (time pass) at the junctions where they can extract money from 2 wheel riders. I this regards I really appreciate the Mumbai TP.
alpha1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 16:56   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
Hi All
Slowly the driver in me is dying!..
  • Nobody wants to wait even for a second and honking is the birth right...If we sense there is a potential financial loss in doing so, we retreat. Hence what I can think of is
I know it's difficult to implement in India particularly to prove who has jumped the signal or driven in a wrong lane but; CCTV and mobile camera can help a lot in this regard.

I believe something like this will work wonders - in India.

People should be encouraged / subsidized to have in-dash cameras.
We - who spot such violations could upload the videos to YT & send links to the traffic police.
Such link / emails are immediately to be attended by dedicated team within a stipulated time frame.

It should induce a fine of 1000 INR to the person causing infraction.
It should also give a 100 INR reward to the person reporting it

If it's a clear case of wrong lane driving / signal jumping it's very much in the video it should be done & dusted in a day.
Other infractions could be analysed & the involved party could be given a warning.

Greed will help encourage better road etiquettes.!
Wishful thinking or whatever.

*end of rant*

Thanks,

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 14th August 2014 at 17:00.
driverace is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 16:58   #165
Senior - BHPian

The observations you made are not limited to Pune but apply all over India. For many years, Mumbai was said to have the best traffic sense and all the observations you have listed out happen here nowadays too. What is funny is that people drive through red lights, honk at you if you stop at a red light & sneer at you but once they cross they start crawling at 20kmph

Nothing is however going to change for the next few years. Even if we get German Autobahn rivalling roads, people will still drive like this simply because they can. Like corruption, hoodwinking the law is now in our blood, in our DNA. We have no reason to indulge in it but we do it simply because we can.

Only way out according to me is to use technology. Click pictures & send the proof along with fine amount to the people. Switch to yearly renewal of licence plates like in west (what we call One time tax or road tax that we pay at time of registration). Once the owner comes to renew his plates, add all the pending fines with interest and hit his pockets hard. Of course, we will need to revamp the entire RTO system and have renewal kiosk's set up all over like in parking lots, mall's, commercial complex's, railway station's etc.

I read in the paper's that Navi Mumbai traffic has sent a challan with picture to an owner for stopping on zebra crossing. I guess things have started moving slowly.
amit is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks