Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2008, 11:28   #46
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Driver behind a hard braked vehicle is never blamed. It is the front drivers responsibility to brake keeping an eye on the rear view mirror. I am sure in this case the Alto was not tail gating has the Innova had hard braked from 40kmph.
Incorrect, Mobike. The onus is always on the car behind to maintain a safe distance. The rule book says that if a car is rear-ended, it is the second car at fault. The lead car may encounter any situation which requires him to slam on his brakes.
Old 13th September 2008, 15:59   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Incorrect, Mobike. The onus is always on the car behind to maintain a safe distance. The rule book says that if a car is rear-ended, it is the second car at fault. The lead car may encounter any situation which requires him to slam on his brakes.
+1 for that. I do not know from where mobike picked up this GEM of misinformation.

Safe driving dictates that you look out for the guy behind but that does not mean in an emergency you have to choose between what is happening in front of you and at the back.
Old 13th September 2008, 18:43   #48
Senior - BHPian

GTO, can you please mention the section/clause/No. of the motor vehicle act/law. That might be handy in case of being rear ended. I see few police personnel are also not aware of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I think avi(mobike) came up with that keeping the general perception in mind. Many a times here in hyderabad, the first car is blamed.
Old 13th September 2008, 19:12   #49
BHPian

Here is what the Rules of Road Regulation 1989 states:

23. Distance from vehicles in front. -- The driver of a motor vehicle moving
behind another vehicle shall keep at a sufficient distance from that other vehicle to
avoid collision if the vehicle in front should suddenly slow down or stop.

I have enclosed the entire set of rules in a PDF Rule of Road Regulation.pdf. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Rajan
Old 13th September 2008, 19:41   #50
BANNED

patchyboy, that has been superseeded. For the real traffic code in force in this country, you should refer to this. Did you see #24 of that pdf BTW?

Edit:- lest I am misunderstood, http:// MORTH does not link to the road safety code. Nor Have I come across a prosecution for violation of that code. In spite of violating the code being an offence.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 13th September 2008 at 19:47.
Old 13th September 2008, 20:20   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
patchyboy, that has been superseeded. For the real traffic code in force in this country, you should refer to this. Did you see #24 of that pdf BTW?

Edit:- lest I am misunderstood, http:// MORTH does not link to the road safety code. Nor Have I come across a prosecution for violation of that code. In spite of violating the code being an offence.
Yes, I did see #24. It clearly states:
24. Abrupt brake. -- No driver of a vehicle shall apply brake abruptly unless it is necessary to do so for safety reasons.

I guess in this case it applies, as there was an obstruction and the Innova had to stop abruptly for safety reasons.

Can you please post a link to the real traffic code in force now?

Cheers,

Rajan
Old 13th September 2008, 20:33   #52
Senior - BHPian

I have a feeling the Insurance company is going to play a drama to pay the 60k+ .
Please get necessary paperwork in order.
Old 15th September 2008, 11:26   #53
BHPian

latest update from the insurance company.
Now the company has agreed to pay for the rare bumper and not ready to pay for the windsheild. And also they are not letting me know what amount they will be paying to the company and what is the exact amount that i have to bare. Any one in similar situation please can you give me some pointers how to go about it? or what is the amout i will be paying in final?
Old 15th September 2008, 11:40   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bangalore View Post
latest update from the insurance company.
Now the company has agreed to pay for the rare bumper and not ready to pay for the windsheild. And also they are not letting me know what amount they will be paying to the company and what is the exact amount that i have to bare. Any one in similar situation please can you give me some pointers how to go about it? or what is the amout i will be paying in final?
You can calculate it roughly, But i insist that you call up the service advisor and get actuals/estimates from your pocket.

All plastics + rubber, mostly its max of 50%. I don't see any reason why Insurance is against paying for the wind shield. They SHOULD pay 100% for the shield.

Again, call up the advisor and keep insisting for a figure. I understand its diff, but there's no way out. In the end, its our hard earned money.
Old 15th September 2008, 20:26   #55
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
GTO, can you please mention the section/clause/No. of the motor vehicle act/law. That might be handy in case of being rear ended. I see few police personnel are also not aware of it.
Don't know but it was part of my driving examination in the States. Even outside of the rules, I believe that it is the responsibility of the following car to maintain a safe distance. Long enough to stop safely even if the car ahead stands on his brakes.
Old 15th September 2008, 20:40   #56
Senior - BHPian

I think for glass item too Insurance company do lot of bargaining before they reelase at least 50%. I suggest use service advisor to make Insurance company release maximum amount. Because he should have good contacts with them and might succeed. Try to get clear picture how much you need to pay? Because most of insurance companies when it comes to claim try to save by releasing less i feel hard bargain is must!

Regards,

Ravi.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks