Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2008, 10:13   #31
BHPian

They strike again, but lucky one more time.

I think the bikers are waiting for me.

Yesterday while I was passing from JVLR (Jogeshwari Vikhroli Link Road), I crossed Matoshri (a club or something like that) and before the suman nagar signal a gap in divider is given for someone to take a U turn, as a practice when I neared it I gave a brief horn and at the last moment a biker suddenly came out. I thought he will have some sense to see if any vehicle is coming but this one was list bothered and landed right in the middle of first lane (horizontally haulted in lane).

I was 40Kmh, but still stopping at such a short distance is really difficult, I managed centimeters away from the bike. When I looked at him the casual rude look was there on the face of the biker as if he was completely right and I was the one who was driving like mad. The complete thread contents ran through my mind and unknowingly I smiled.

I never knew this one curve will put smile on his face as well. Suddenly the tense situation got relaxed and he backed off saying sorry.

The situation was handled but what if I was not able to stop before him or what if the car coming from behind could not control. I was sure that I am visiting gaurage with some unwanted work.

Thankfully nothing happened to either & we all headed ahead safe.
Old 24th September 2008, 15:32   #32
Senior - BHPian

1)
These idiot on two wheels are very dangerous, more so for other two wheeler users.

2)
Its not that always the car driver drives his vehicle in an ideal manner. Daily I encounter a huge number of cars that are driven badly. On on single lane road ( car is driven in the center ) the car wont move to let me overtake. After dropping off the road, I overtake him and now just like he used to move before ( at his own speed ), I am also moving at my own pace, but now he cannot tolerate. This happened in high frequency, so I have now switched route.

From above example what I am trying to say is that mostly the bike driver might have been frustated by some irritating car driver earlier, and hence the behavior. However, he should have talked with better manners later on.

3)
In case of emergency, if a biker brakes hard, he will end up in emergency, but this is not the case in car ( I have to use both car and bike, bike, more ). This is why mostly idiot bike riders take cars for granted. When I am driving car, I am usually not in relaxed mood. I have to be more cautious for these people. They undertake, again this is because usually slow cars wont move for faster bikes and even if they want to, the left space will be occupied by other road users.

4)
There is no visible solution to this problem. The RTO license passing test must get 1000 times more tough to gradually reduce this issue. Till then, nonsense will remain.
Old 1st October 2008, 13:31   #33
BHPian

I personally am of the view that majority of the two wheeler drivers cut lanes too often and in the process are vulnerable to accidents. So a four wheeler driver has to be careful always otherwise the biker will get hurt as he is driving without any external support except the helmet. We have to be slightly more patient with bikers or else everyday there will be numerous accidents involving two wheelers. We have to be compassionate towards bikers as they are very vulnerable to getting seriouly hurt in case of accidents. Well adjustment is the name of the game till discipline is followed strictly by bikers as well as four wheeler drivers.
Old 3rd October 2008, 11:08   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modifiedsachin View Post
I must say most of the people riding bikes think that their "Agnidoot" can do wonders and they will manage to scrap through any and every thing.

Today I almost missed converting ones "Agnidoot" to "Yamdoot".

I was on my way to Airoli (Navi Mumbai) from western suberbs. Driving calmly with soft old music on & when I reached a Mulund Airoli Bridge, I was going with a Speed of 80 - 90 in my zen as the complete road was empty and there were hardly any vehicles.
Guys, if a census was held to compare Mumbai / Navi Mumbai, Navi Mumbai has more moron bikers than Mumbai and probably anywhere in the country. This is because of the sizable contribution of the locals in this list.
Old 3rd October 2008, 17:52   #35
BHPian

@ yesterday Incident,

I was driving early morning at 30, In opposite direction one cycle was coming towards me in his lane, you know suddenly he just took Right turn and crossed my car[luckily me i applied brake and no one was there behind me] . He was 12-15 yrs child, Don't know @ their parent who leave their children on road like this. Just wanted to share , Be aware of this. Thanks to Durga Maa, other wise people would have treated me like
Old 4th October 2008, 15:24   #36
BHPian

biker rant ..

well since we are ranting .. has anyone in Mumbai noticed this ???
Whenever a biker overtakes me he invariably pulls in too soon, i.e. cuts straight across the front of my car .. as if he's cutting me after overtaking .. and i almost always have to swerve a little to avoid him clipping the front of my car. Bizzarely this happens even on a clear wide three lane road where there's no reason for him to cut in front. Why can't they just overtake and stick to their lane. I repeat i'm talking about even on a wide three-lane road seperated by a divider. I can't even begin to tell you how many bikers would have definately gone down if it hadn't been for my corrective action. And the worst part is that they are so bleedin' oblivious to the whole thing. I tried telling guy once and he just looked at me as if "I"was crazy and said " Kya huaa ? Seedha to chala raha hoon." Why, oh why must they ride ???
P.S. : i both, ride and drive so ....
Old 4th October 2008, 16:25   #37
Senior - BHPian

Have noticed people who use or mostly belong to the 100 -150 segment of bikes which includes activa and likes behave madly...

have faced so many of them who are irresponsible to the core....
Old 18th January 2010, 22:53   #38
BHPian

Today I was going to himayath nagar via Imax circle(necklace road entrance) , The road were empty so I was driving at some 60kmph and taking a half circle at the circle (second exit) at the same speed without applying brakes as it was least needed, I almost reached half circle and a stupid biker with a girl in the back seat was doing stupid soo called stunts on the road. He approached my car and was taking a deep turn along with my car and on the exit, there was a 5series which was crusing at 40kmph on the left lane and I was on the right lane, This stupid biker dint even care and was trying to jump into my lane without any indication,I tried my best to give him way by moving the right, Few more inches and my car will be scraping to the divider so I refuced to go towards the right. By the time the biker realised that I am not going to give him way anymore, It was too late, He couldn't control his bike nor could get out of the situation, I escaped by downshifting and flooring my gas pedal. He ended ramming his bike into the 5series and falling down. He was lucky enough that no vehicle was coming from behind, Else It was surely his last day on earth.
Old 19th January 2010, 09:42   #39
BHPian

hard to take sides without actually knowing what happened. And in this case we dont know the other side: the bikers side of the story.

Have faced my fair share of imbeciles who make driving a misery. But then as a biker, i have equally faced my share of imbeciles in cars who drive around with the AC on, windows up and loud music: ie reduced situational awareness, and thenblame riders for anything that goes wrong.
Old 19th January 2010, 10:31   #40
Team-BHP Support

In summers Cars usually rolled up with soothing temperature inside and music playing often fail to spot some one honking and flashing,
motorcyclists sure have this habit of overtaking and going left as though they will clip your bonnet,

Cars driven here are mostly not by enthusiasts and they sure do hog the right most lane @60-70kmph in the interest of FE

But i have found that most motorcyclists who are properly geared and kitted up will be fast on the road but will have good sense of traffic(i fall in that category),
i acknowledge trucks when they allow me to pass and same holds true for private cars what sometimes irritate me is that a slow moving car/motorcycle won't let you pass, yes carry on with your honking and flashing, i give a damn, it truly sucks
Old 19th January 2010, 10:58   #41
Senior - BHPian

Exclusive bikers or exclusive car drivers are a rare minority. Most of us are both. I ride most of the weekdays to office and drive during weekends. And there are some friends who drive to work and ride for the weekends!

Though I do ride a lot more than I drive, I have to admit that more bikers make mistakes on the road than car drivers. Generally those who ride as well as drive can be identified by their riding style. There are morons who drive cars too (not counting cabbies) but they are a minority in general.

Car drivers tend to think the right most lane is their preserve! It is, but only when marked exclusively so. Remember, the car / bike going at a steady speed in the right most lane in the city road is not impeding you so long as it is maintaining the legal speed limit. It is annoying when he refuses to make way for you but there is not much one can do about it.

I have seen car drivers who simply zoom as soon as they are behind the wheel, flick their headlights, honk and zig-zag through lanes. They will pill up behind you at a red light, and if there is no traffic, honk at you impatiently as if you are an idiot wasting their time! I can understand this behaviour from cab / auto drivers, but not from those in cars! If I happen to be driving, I just grit my teeth and ignore it. If I happen to be riding, I will pull up near him at the next signal and ask him politely "were you driving an auto before this?" Gets their goat every time!
Old 19th January 2010, 11:16   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Exclusive bikers or exclusive car drivers are a rare minority. Most of us are both. I ride most of the weekdays to office and drive during weekends. And there are some friends who drive to work and ride for the weekends!

Though I do ride a lot more than I drive, I have to admit that more bikers make mistakes on the road than car drivers. Generally those who ride as well as drive can be identified by their riding style. There are morons who drive cars too (not counting cabbies) but they are a minority in general.

I have seen car drivers who simply zoom as soon as they are behind the wheel, flick their headlights, honk and zig-zag through lanes. They will pill up behind you at a red light, and if there is no traffic, honk at you impatiently as if you are an idiot wasting their time! I can understand this behaviour from cab / auto drivers, but not from those in cars! If I happen to be driving, I just grit my teeth and ignore it. If I happen to be riding, I will pull up near him at the next signal and ask him politely "were you driving an auto before this?" Gets their goat every time!
truly hilarious
on a more serious note, most of the guys who are serious about riding/driving would rarely commit any mistake as it would jeopardize them and their lovely machines and will never drive/ride under influence or when in fatigue,
Cars which zig zag are mostly driven by school kids who are on a vacation or casual drivers/mechanics

I think we should rubbish this attitude everytime we come across such morons as we usually on everyday basis come across a lot of them

Last edited by Sheel : 19th January 2010 at 11:21.
Old 19th January 2010, 11:41   #43
Senior - BHPian

Gansan,

Sorry to say, but in a country plagued by a total lack of traffic sense, I dont see why zig zagging is the sole preserve of the bikers esp when sunday drivers hog the rightmost lane!

I zigzag in pretty much similar fashion irrespective of my pulsar 180 or the swift. And I honk like crazy and flick headlights/use indicators - better to put people on notice, rather than just surprise and overtake them!

Its always easy for us to criticize others till we are in their shoes!

@Sheel bhai - ditto for you Your logic is as funny - cars are either driven by slowpoke economisers or school kids. It leaves no scope for fast drivers - we can only do lane driving if the rightmost lane is not hogged by slowpokes (<80 speeds, esp on the expressway!)

but yes, though i'm pretty fast, I'm clear about not making mistakes - can't afford an error. Agree on that
Old 19th January 2010, 12:04   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay456 View Post
Guys, if a census was held to compare Mumbai / Navi Mumbai, Navi Mumbai has more moron bikers than Mumbai and probably anywhere in the country.
You should try driving in Bangalore for a few days, you would find Mumbai bikers much more bearable after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvhed View Post
Whenever a biker overtakes me he invariably pulls in too soon, i.e. cuts straight across the front of my car .. as if he's cutting me after overtaking .. and i almost always have to swerve a little to avoid him clipping the front of my car.
Again, this is standard practice in Bangalore. And you dare not rear end the biker, else you would be at the mercy of the gathered crowd, who would make full use of the opportunity to bash you for owning a car / working in IT / being a non-kannadiga.

For all car owners, I just have one thing to say - With great power comes great responsibility (wise words of Spiderman's departed uncle).

For your own safety, drive extra cautiously and let those bikers do their stunts. Don't let those morons make you loose your temper, composure and blood pressure.

Rohan
Old 19th January 2010, 12:16   #45

Guys,

I ride and drive, and have had almost equal share of experiences with moronic car drivers as well as bikers. Generally bikers though use less signaling which is a major problem. It is also more dangerous for a bike rather than a car, due to the much lower protection. As a rule I always allow bikers more leeway.
The biggest problem is in the system of driving education and etiquette in India, wherever the place. A higher percentage of car drivers undergo formal training, compared to bikers, which contributes to higher incidences in bikes. To tackle this a systematic overhaul of licensing process needs to be done and traffic laws need to be imposed much more strictly. And for lane driving to be properly enforced, lane markings need to be proper for all the roads, which is hardly the case in most of the roads.
From our side, I guess we can only show others by example.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks