Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2009, 21:10   #46
BHPian

Hey. Awesome stuff yaar; was a pleasure reading your thread. If there's anymore please do post, i'll b waiting.
Old 20th February 2009, 13:43   #47
BHPian

Hey Taz, Cool excting Stories. Superb Narration. Enjoyed every bit of it.
Thanks for sharing. All the best.
Old 25th February 2009, 14:42   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Wow, nice thread. Great experiences down under. Stumbled upon it late though.

@Tazmaan, is your tbhp-nick a play on the 'Tazmanian Devil' of Australia ?

Me and a couple of friends came upon this bright idea of driving auto-rickshaws at night in Tamilnadu during our Engineering days for making up the huge budget-deficit caused by the excessive consumption of the "fermented golden-coloured malted-barley" beverage.
Phew!!! All this for a word that is just 4 letters long.

Ofcourse India being India, I am glad we did not put it into action.

P.S. : BTW, this is an auto-forum and I am sure there are atleast a few nuts among us who talk to their cars/bikes and even plant an occasional kiss on them. Compared to that, kissing a woman is pretty normal behaviour. So if you did kiss her, its OK.
Yes my user name is based on the Tasmanian Devil, I am fascinated with that creature. Also I didnt kiss the girl it was too big of a risk, me being Indian Taxi Driver and she being an Aussie, I didnt want be all over the news paper next day

Its good you didnt take on auto rickshaws, laws, working conditions are not very good here and also not a lot of money unless you buy one. I have done a lot of research in Mumbai on autos as I wanted to start an Auto depot as a part time business.

Everyone Thanks a lot!! I did what I had to do. I knew I had to do a part time job because I didn't want to borrow money from home. Also there were many jobs but all blue collar jobs like taxi driving. The highest paying amongst this was taxi driving. At the same time it required a lot of time and money to get the taxi license. It was a chance I took (not many take) and luckily for me it paid off.
Old 26th February 2009, 16:28   #49
Senior - BHPian

tazmaan, excellent read! thank you!
What car was the cab, I don't think you've mentioned...?
Old 27th February 2009, 12:04   #50
evo
BHPian

brilliant read!

Enjoyed every bit of it! The direct way you have written makes for easy reading too!

@anekho, it was Ford Falcon, I think, its there in the first post
Old 17th September 2009, 15:02   #51
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful narration. Those are some experiences you had in Austraila. Thanks for sharing these episodes of your life with us. Its such experiences that make us better human beings.
Old 17th September 2009, 15:40   #52
BHPian

@tazmaan

Excellent stuff, really enjoyed reading it.
Is't there a pic of the cab ?
Old 17th September 2009, 17:03   #53
BHPian

Nice stuff man. I for once recalled all my taxi experience as a passenger in Aus, few months in Melbourne as well.. I was once dropped off at wantirna by a young Indian driver who was quite friendly too and was new to melbourne in 2003. Wonder if it was you? Or may be a similar guy..
Old 18th September 2009, 17:06   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-BoleroBoy View Post
Nice stuff man. I for once recalled all my taxi experience as a passenger in Aus, few months in Melbourne as well.. I was once dropped off at wantirna by a young Indian driver who was quite friendly too and was new to melbourne in 2003. Wonder if it was you? Or may be a similar guy..
Did you get the flat 50% discount ?
If so tazmaan might have been your cabbie
Old 17th January 2012, 09:59   #55
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Myself, Studies, Cabs and Caffeine

Tazmaan,

I don't know how I missed this thread, but let me tell you that you are one heck of a story teller! Awesome read, thanks for sharing your experiences. I was an international student once too, and had quite a fun job (responsibilities included managing food, music, lights & security for under-grad parties ). But boy, it pales in comparison to your experience. I had no clue Aussie cabbies make such good money.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2012, 11:02   #56
BHPian

One more thread which reminds me of vagaries of life & how positive things can set you up for a hopefully great day ahead!
Thanks!
Old 17th January 2012, 11:17   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Tazmaan,

I don't know how I missed this thread, but let me tell you that you are one heck of a story teller! Awesome read, thanks for sharing your experiences. I was an international student once too, and had quite a fun job (responsibilities included managing food, music, lights & security for under-grad parties ). But boy, it pales in comparison to your experience. I had no clue Aussie cabbies make such good money.
Wow blast from the past!! It indeed was the best phase of my life! It felt like everything was in my control, everything was so planned unlike youth!!

And look what if found in my office drawer!!
Attached Thumbnails
Myself, Studies, Cabs and Caffeine-taxi-permit.jpg  

Myself, Studies, Cabs and Caffeine-taxi-id.jpg  

Last edited by tazmaan : 17th January 2012 at 11:18.
tazmaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2012, 11:52   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Tazmaan,
I don't know how I missed this thread, but let me tell you that you are one heck of a story teller!
I don't know how I missed it either. What a fabulously narrated account Tazmaan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
Wow blast from the past!! It indeed was the best phase of my life! It felt like everything was in my control, everything was so planned unlike youth!!
And look what if found in my office drawer!!
That makes you eligible to drive a taxi for another month in Australia. Go for it.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2012, 01:09   #59
Team-BHP Support

One word: Brilliant!

This is what life is all about. Going out there, experiencing the unknown. It's a wonderful feeling.

I'd love to be a part of this.

One of my really close friends is currently studying in New Zealand, and he keeps falling woefully short on cash, so I'm going to suggest this to him. I'm sure he'd be up for it. He's quite the 'driver' too.

I hope India reaches the same level of sophistication soon. We need cops catching these taxi-drivers and ensuring that the cars are fit to be driven.

Oh, and don't even for a second doubt your writing skills, Sir. You've got what it takes to bring the whole Forum to this one thread. I'm going to share this with a whole lot of my friends now.

I'm telling you mate, I can't get enough of your anecdotes. I'd like to read more!

And one more thing. I'm going to look at cabbies differently now. I'm not going to be as judgmental as I generally am. I'm going to give them the right of way, when I'm supposed to. And I'm going to greet them with a smile, instead of the finger.

Thank you for this wonderful thread!
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 11:14   #60
BHPian

Yesterday I got into a conversation with an Auto guy whose auto was brand new with Digital meter (In Mumbai every one know why I am stressing on digital part).

Since the Auto was new I stared asking him how much for an Auto, whats the cost of permit, whats the cost of new e-meters, how many hours he drives, how much CNG he uses in a day and finally how much money he makes. Initially he was reluctant to disclose things but eventually he opened up and revealed a few things which normally we dont know.

His brand new auto cost him 3 lac rupees including the vehicle and permit for 3 years (Permit by paying premium). The e-meter which I assumed is very expensive cost him just 3000. He, on a usual day drives 12 hrs (no night shift and he doesnt give his auto out for night shift). He makes around 600 per shift as per new rates out of which he pays 100 for CNG.

I asked him that being a new vehicle the maintenance cost must be negligible to which he replied, have you seen the quality of new autos, the simple ones before were much better. After three years the vehicle depreciates to less than 20k and the average maintenance per month on these vehicles is 2k / months.

Now he asked me to work out how much he makes.
Dividing 3 lacs by 36 months 8333 / month is the capital cost
Maintenance cost 2000/ Month
Total 10333 cost / month

Income Average out: 600 - 100 (gas) = 500 /day i.e. 15000 / month assuming he drives every day.

If I take interest on capital investment he will end up making less than the sweeper in my house with a profession which is much more risky and stressful.

Is this why most of the Auto walas cheat? Or am I missing something?
Why does he still drive an Auto? I have not even looked at other costs such as insurance, cops maintenance, off days etc

Oh one more thing he said, most of the auto walas do not want to be a part of the union and are forced to.
tazmaan is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks