Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2009, 08:52   #16
Senior - BHPian

Anyway, I will know the reality since I am planning to drive through the Bandipur-Mudumalai-Gudalur-Nilambur road this weekend. In the meantime, if anyone has any further info on current status, please let me know so that I can change my route.
Old 19th February 2009, 09:11   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Anyway, I will know the reality since I am planning to drive through the Bandipur-Mudumalai-Gudalur-Nilambur road this weekend. In the meantime, if anyone has any further info on current status, please let me know so that I can change my route.

No need to worry i was travelling through this strech last week end and there are no restrictions, except for the fact that they have stepped up the rigour in checking at the check posts , while passing i saw a tourist sumo with all its baggage pulled out and under side of seats being checked . This was at the Tamilnadu check post.

As usual road conditions are pathetic from gundulpet to almost Bandipur but after that the roads have been patched up , the ride is still rough. The bright side is that most of the huge craters between Mudumalai and Gudalur were being patched up. And watch out of the rumbler strips between Mysore and Gundulpet they number about 25 some you may dismiss as a nuisance but some are real back breakers so what out , but i think tht would be applicable only if you are in a car it would be irrelavent in you scorpio :-)
Old 23rd February 2009, 11:36   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Dear Mr.Kumar
Hope you did get to do this route over the weekend.

I am planning to drive from Ooty to Mysore on the 28th and was wondering if my Civic will take this route, especially the stretches that are reported to be very bumpy and back breakers on the Gundalpet stretch.

Please advice

Regards
Rajan
Old 23rd February 2009, 20:22   #19
Senior - BHPian

No, unfortunately I had to cancel my trip.
But rest assured, the road is quite OK, despite the bad patches around Bandipur. Just go it slow and your car will be OK.
Old 24th February 2009, 08:45   #20

Thanks for the advice

Will revert with photo's of the stretch after i return

regards
Rajan
Old 2nd March 2009, 14:42   #21

Waynad sector closed

Hi

Sadly, i had to cancel this trip as well.

Had planned for Waynad from Ooty and from there to Mysore but the forest fires have forced the closure of the Waynad sanctuary from y/day. Read the link with more details...

The Hindu : Kerala / Kalpetta News : Forest fires: Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary closed

Rajan
Old 8th June 2009, 18:49   #22
BHPian

high way to ooty and waynad to be closed from 10th of june for night traffic

hi all
it has become a Governament order. high way thro bandipur forest to go to Ooty and Gudalur and also high way thro Muthanga forest to Sultan bathery will be closed from 10th of this month between 9 pm till 6 am for all vehicles except for ambulances. so plan accordingly.
Old 8th June 2009, 19:14   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutmello View Post
hi all
it has become a Governament order. high way thro bandipur forest to go to Ooty and Gudalur and also high way thro Muthanga forest to Sultan bathery will be closed from 10th of this month between 9 pm till 6 am for all vehicles except for ambulances. so plan accordingly.
Any idea till when? That would also be very useful
Old 8th June 2009, 19:39   #24
Senior - BHPian

Untill order is taken back or some stay comes in road will be closed in night time as specified which is good move keeping Animal safety in mind.

There were lot of accidents involving animals and now govarnment has taken good decision.

I do agree traffic will be affected but this is government order. Also road improvement work in Karnataka's major roads is in full swing, So expect better Karnataka in 15 months If everything goes according to plan!

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 8th June 2009, 22:36   #25
Senior - BHPian

Good move that they made it 9pm rather than 6 pm. Well animals really need some breathing space but i doubt the agitations happening is from a lobby.
This is as i stay in a place which can be reached from mysore only after crossing forests unless i want to make a round trip which will make me travel 80 kms more. Does it make sense to anyone? Well doesnt atleast to me.
A bit OT the number of elephant death cases have increased. Any reasons why other than encroachments? No i guess!
Fact of matter is lots of new parts of the forests in and around nagarhole has teak planted which doesnt serve as food for the elephants. Thats the reason they enter estates. Last week itself there was a woman who was killed by one.
There are mistakes done but by everyone so please dont point fingers only at one section of them
Old 8th June 2009, 23:03   #26
BHPian

When did this happen. Does this mean to only route to calicut gundulpet via s bathery/ kalpetta is closed from 9 p.m to 6 a.m. What happens to the entire line up tourist buses that depart blore at 9 p.m. Kindly confirm so i can make alternative plans when i do my next trip to calicut.
Old 9th June 2009, 10:27   #27
BHPian

the rule will be enforced from 10th of this month. tourist and night buses will have to change the timings. KSRTC has already changed the timing of buses to ernakulam ( via mysore) and TVM and Calicut. So must plan journey like wise. mind you, no good lodges to stay near forest gate on both sides of high way. if late best to stay in mysore or other side of forest in kerala or tamilnadu.
Old 9th June 2009, 10:50   #28
Senior - BHPian

Any idea where the checkposts will be? I can imagine one will be after Gundulpet town till Suntan's Battery, the other till Kalhatti and Gudalur. Currently, teh Gudalur-Nilambur is open at night also, any news on that road?

Quite a blow for through-the-night Kerala travellers!
Old 9th June 2009, 11:30   #29
Senior - BHPian

Its a good thing that they have closed the road at night. These 2 roads had so much bus and lorry traffic that no man could cross the road let alone an animal. This was affecting the animal movements in the area very badly. Most of the wild animals are mostly nocturnal and it was very bad for them with all the smoke, noise, idiotic drivers etc. I only hope that this order stays for some time. This kind of order should be replicated in all forested areas in the country. I won't say that this will save all wildlife, but it is atleast a step towards preserving whatever wildlife is left.

When the wildlife is forced to make compromises, why can't we??

Btw, I heard that only govt buses and vehicles of emergency services (police, ambulance etc) are allowed during those times.
Old 9th June 2009, 14:23   #30
Senior - BHPian

Hopefully it is implemented like the Nagarhole - Kutta road rather than the Masinagudi - Kalhatti road which opens up with some note in hand.

I read in DC today that the road in the Tamil Nadu side would not be closed, meaning you would be able to go up to Kakkanalla, imagine vehicles lined up on the road all the way from Kakkanalla border waiting until 6 AM, instead of encroaching by driving through the forests we would be encroaching the forests by getting vehicles spend all along the night bang in the middle of the forsest. What a sham that would be considering the stretch near the border is prime migratory path for animals.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks