Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2009, 20:46   #1
BHPian

How a modified car and a small misunderstanding can get you into trouble!!

How many times have you landed in trouble because you drive a slightly modified car and people mistake you as a racer boy because of the image associated with such cars? I have been a heated target of some such misunderstandings, especially when the person on the other side has a bad temper.
I am starting this thread, so that others can talk about such incidents or misunderstandings and how they got out of it.

First some facts about me - I drive a stage 1 modded santro with a nice K&N cold air intake and a good sounding free flow exhaust/headers. I pride in my car being fairly discreet (read sleeper) with no show-off type of external mods, just some cool alloys and wider tires for handling. I like to rev my car sometimes to enjoy the sounds it makes or the slightly increased torque it puts out. Lastly I am a strong advocate of track days and completely against illegal street racing or any form of crazy driving or breaking traffic rules on the road.

Now I have had multiple incidents, where racer boys with their daddy's cars are dragging on old airport road or inner ring road and I happen to be driving on the road at the same time. Normally this happens at late night and I am on a lower gear enjoying the boom of my FFE and these guys think, I am racing them. I normally slow down or go up a gear (to reduce the sound) to avoid being misunderstood by such morons.
However what happened today takes the cake in terms of misunderstandings. It has nothing similar with the numerous incidents with racer boys, but it does the take the cake.

Its 2pm, I have to meet a good friend of mine for a really late lunch at 4pm. I squeeze in a quick workout, get ready and rush to her place. We leave towards indra nagar by 415pm and are slowly trodding towards 80 feet road. Its difficult and confusing with all the roads in indra nagar torn down for metro work. Finally we hit 80 feet road and come to a junction where this italian restaurant is.
Now there is a white sedan standing at the junction slightly on the footpath. Its trying to take a turn, but is not really moving - looks like it just kept getting stalled or something. Now we are stuck behind this white sedan and I honk and rev a bit. After 30 secs of the white sedan making attempts to move but not moving, I lose patience, get slightly irritated and vrooom (slightly higher revs 1st gear) ahead of the italian restaurant junction looking for some other parking. When I pass the white sedan, I notice it has an L board on the front, so I quip to my friend its an L and no wonder it didnt move and she also laughs. We are slowly moving looking for a parking and I notice in my rear view mirror the white sedan is now off the footpath and in the middle of the road blocking all the traffic. While the car is slightly moving, a guy flings the door open n jumps out of one side and switches seats with the driver. I told my friend that finally the trainer decided the learner needs to be taken on some inside lane vs blocking a major junction on the 80 feet road. I now get into a lane off the 80 feet road to find a parking. As I pull into this parking, the white sedan pulls very close to my door and I am locked in. I lower my window and before I can ask the guy what happened he starts shouting at me, wildly gesturing. The converstation went along the following lines (i cant recollect the exact words)
Shouting Guy - why the hell are you honking/vrooming and doing stunts standing behind us
me - i was waiting for you to move, but you never did
shouting guy - who do you think you are, dont u see who I am
me - what are you saying
Shouting guy now walks out his car towards me in a threatening way as if he is going to punch me. My friend got scared and told me to close the window as the guy seems to have lost it.
Shouting guy - can't you see this is an L board car and this is my dad learning
me - I am sorry I didnt see the L. Sorry uncle (to his dad)
my friend - why are you shouting at us and coming into our car and threatening us
shouting guy - you do you have a dad, how dare you act like this in front of my dad
me - ok man we have dads. I am sorry for the confusion, we were just looking for a parking.
shouting guy now gone berserk and talking utter nonsense, its like they say in hindi "maata aa gayi hai usmein"
my friend - i will call the cops on you (dials 911 as she has been in US for years)
shouting guy - do you know who I am, see my ID (although i didnt even care to see it, my friend told me his badge indicated he was from a respectable newspaper, what a shame !!)
While the shouting guy is still hanging into my window, throwing words and moving his hands around violently at me and my friend (she also majorly angry at this guy's uncouth beahaviour) a mini conversation between me and the dad happens
the dad - we have L boards
me - i am sorry I didnt see the one on the back of your car
shouting guy to my friend - you
my friend - off
shouting guy to me - you wanna drag race, lets do it, i will beat you like , dont do such stuff in front of my dad. I will race you anyday. dont pull stunts to impress your girlfriend.
me - dude she is not my gf and i am not showing off, will you chill - i am sorry if i gave that impression
shouting guy - you think you can race around with your girl,
my friend - shut up, how dare you talk to us like that, get lost!!
ME still very calm and apologetic, thinking I should not lose my temper as this is getting out of control
Me - ok what do you want man, i said I am sorry
shouting guy - apologize to my dad NOW
me - sorry uncle
shouting guy walking towards his car - dont you dare do such stunts again
I rolled up my window, whilst controlling my friend from saying or gesturing anything more. She manages to show a finger as he whizzes by

I go into another lane, as I am scared this monster will come back and scratch my car or something. I later talked to my friend while eating and we realized how bad (read physical violence) things would have been if I would have also lost my temper. We noticed that my ears were red from holding all that anger in and her hands were still trembling 10 mins after the violent incident.

My analysis was that - i came in on high revs, behind the guy and honked once. We passed them really slow thinking they will move and after that we were slowly moving looking for a parking. The guy thought we were teasing his learning dad, by passing them in 1st gear (high revs) and then we were slowly trodding along the road and revving high looking for a drag race. He also noticed my friend to be a girl and thought I was doing stunts to impress her.

Its unfortunate the way a small misunderstanding around my slightly modded car and the image it gives off as a racer boy, led to so much bad temper. I wouldn't disrespect a learner, or someone's dad for that matter, but all my reasoning with an ill-tempered twerp isn't gonna work. Anger makes people illogical and they don't want to understand anything. I am glad I didnt lose it but I am also glad that my friend managed to express some anger to him. The shouting guy deserved to be shouted at a bit

To the shouting newspaper guy if you are reading - Cool down i would still say I am sorry for the misunderstanding and the image my car creates of me, but please control your crazy temper, language, tone and threatening conduct, and learn to respect women. Listening to someone's reasoning will help solve things. Lastly everyone who has a loud exhaust or a racing stripe on his hood is not looking for an illegal drag race.

This was a learning experience for me, hope if others on the forum, get involved in an incident of road rage or similar misunderstanding, they will keep a cool mind. In arguments, the bigger person has a more forgiving heart and control on temper and also in the long run fewer chances of getting blood pressure, heart issues later on in life !!

Last edited by ported_head : 25th January 2009 at 23:21. Reason: Please refrain from using profanity directly or indirectly. This will invite an infraction the next time.
Old 25th January 2009, 20:54   #2
BHPian

I can really understand the situation bro because i too had an Ikon done up like that but just stock on the outside. But it still gave out that racer boy impression. Thankfully i never had such a tiff with anybody.
Old 25th January 2009, 21:06   #3
BHPian

@ jassi: You were real cool. Such things happen on our roads (unfortunately). he should have displayed a bold 'L' sign behind too. RTO has rules for that. Now what if he is a high background guy. Who cares what he is. As for his father, he should have stayed away from such main roads (while learning to drive). Having FFE ,Special airfilters and alloys doesnt mean all are street racers.

Last edited by mnhegde : 25th January 2009 at 21:13.
Old 25th January 2009, 21:12   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Very true sir. I can understand how you had felt in that situation. I myself have a santro. No, it is not modded or anything but a people of months back, my exhaust kinda got worn out and as a result has a very SWEET sound. So, for my heart's sake, i did not get it replaced immediately to enjoy the sound a bit, a change from whatever in the name of ICE i have in it. 3 times wannabe bikers tried to race me at red lights because of the loud exhaust, in a matter of 2 days. It's a shame how a little more exhaust sound allows people to immediately take a car lover for a crap racer(yeah that's the term i use for these losers who go on blowing their dad's moolah!)
Old 25th January 2009, 21:14   #5
BANNED

1. What was he doing waiting for you to move?
2. "L" boards have a minimum size; and should be in a rectangular white back ground.
3. Learner or not, the guy in front has the obligation to make some gesture if there is a vehicle behind asking for way.

Your behaviour in keeping your cool is highly commendable. Please keep it up.
Old 25th January 2009, 21:19   #6
BHPian

You are right,such incidents really happen,people think you are a racer boy when you have a moded car.In dubai cops think you are a druggi when they see you driving a moded car,i personally have experienced this. You did an excellent thing by being calmor else probably it would have ended in a serious road rage.

"He who makes the loudest noise has the least to say,unfortunately he doesn't realize it"-Robin(r-tech)'s signature which is really correct.
Old 25th January 2009, 21:24   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
1. What was he doing waiting for you to move?
i think he was waiting for me to go from behind him, so that he can get along with taking his learner's turn on the junction
Quote:
2. "L" boards have a minimum size; and should be in a rectangular white back ground.
i didnt see the L on the back but "the dad" said there is an L on the back. The L in front was plain red tape on glass (no white background). If the same kind of L was on the back, I am sure thats the reason I missed it.
Quote:
3. Learner or not, the guy in front has the obligation to make some gesture if there is a vehicle behind asking for way.
pitch black windows nicely rolled up to keep the learner experience nice and cool. Back in my day, hand gestures were important to pass the test.

Quote:
Your behaviour in keeping your cool is highly commendable. Please keep it up.
thanks backseatdriver and thanks abhik, mnhegde, team_suzuki, bharti22shresth for understanding

Last edited by jassi : 25th January 2009 at 21:27.
Old 25th January 2009, 21:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

Nice you kept your cool otherwise worse might have happened.
Black tints for a learner is never a good thing. Let the incident pass and do be careful about the L sign
Old 25th January 2009, 22:06   #9
Senior - BHPian

Appreciate your cool mind.
I would have beaten than guy. No matter what the build, I dont care, its my right to protect my freedom. These type of humans are now in such a large quantity that talking with them is an insult in itself. I avoid talking to them. But at that point of time, its difficult to control temper and from the base of my heart I appreciate your control.

I never had an issue like this, and whenever the situation gets a bit rough, I either drive off or get physical. Getting physical will eventually lead to nothing except regret and I am speaking this from my personal multiple experiences of getting physical and injuring someone.

I have also noticed that most of the times when people stick that L symbol on the car, they do not clean the surface and from the rear end of the car, due to poor installation, the symbol eventually gets removed off. They take care relatively well at the front ( also the front windscreen is cleaned more ), but they dont take care well.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 25th January 2009 at 22:08.
Old 25th January 2009, 22:26   #10
BHPian

tremendous calm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
How many times have you landed in trouble because you drive a slightly modified car and people mistake you as a racer boy because of the image associated with such cars? I have been a heated target of some such misunderstandings, especially when the person on the other side has a bad temper.
My analysis was that - i came in on high revs, behind the guy and honked once. We passed them really slow thinking they will move and after that we were slowly moving looking for a parking. The guy thought we were teasing his learning dad, by passing them in 1st gear (high revs) and then we were slowly trodding along the road and revving high looking for a drag race. He also noticed my friend to be a girl and thought I was doing stunts to impress her.

This was a learning experience for me, hope if others on the forum, get involved in an incident of road rage or similar misunderstanding, they will keep a cool mind. In arguments, the bigger person has a more forgiving heart and control on temper and also in the long run fewer chances of getting blood pressure, heart issues later on in life !!
I think you showed tremendous control and please keep it up. However nasty the guy could be, street fights are avoidable. I really appreciate your control and not getting in to a bad road rage situation. You should be proud you controlled the situation well.

I think people get offended when overtaken at high revs.
Old 25th January 2009, 22:28   #11
Senior - BHPian

Jassi it was great that you kept calm. though i would have done the same tried to keep karl but i just cant take some one using words for me. i am sure i would have punched him or some thing.
Old 25th January 2009, 22:50   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Let the incident pass and do be careful about the L sign
I sure will be looking for these Ls, no matter how wrongly it is put up. Its easy to miss when there is no white background behind the L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
I avoid talking to them. But at that point of time, its difficult to control temper and from the base of my heart I appreciate your control.
They take care relatively well at the front ( also the front windscreen is cleaned more ), but they dont take care well.
Aggo - i understand your feelings man, I have read about some of your problems. As far as size goes, I didnt even notice who was bigger, as I didnt look at the situation physically. I am sure if I would have lost it, it would have been a physical brawl !! My friend was saying why I said sorry if it wasn't my mistake and all I told her was I didn't lose anything by doing that. If it made him feel good, then great, its better than arguing to prove i am right and fighting and spoiling things for everyone !! Fighting like a hooligan on the road solves nothing and gets everyone into trouble. A sacrifice on my ego and saying a sorry doesn't cost me zilch. Besides, I was with a girl and if this is what it takes to prevent inconvenience or discomfort for her then so be it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass View Post
I think people get offended when overtaken at high revs.
i am guessing its some kind of ego issue !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
i would have done the same tried to keep karl but i just cant take some one using words for me. i am sure i would have punched him or some thing.
I know and maybe my punch would have knocked him out (cos I have been into martial arts 18 years), but then I would be more wrong than he ever was in the first place!! When my reasoning didn't work, I could have punched to shut him up, but I chose the path of cooling him down and getting him to get lost. I guess all the yoga and zen helps sometimes hehe

Last edited by jassi : 25th January 2009 at 23:00.
Old 25th January 2009, 23:00   #13
BHPian

@jassi

the way you kept your cool shows your patience and decency. way to go!
Old 25th January 2009, 23:06   #14
Senior - BHPian

I wish I can learn to be as cool headed as you someday.

If this would have happened to me, the outcome would have been unfortunately much messier.

Great going.

On a lighter note, loosely translating what this guy said to you two... "Ghar pe Baap Bhai nahi hain kya?!?" Hehehe!

Last edited by AbhiJ : 25th January 2009 at 23:11.
Old 25th January 2009, 23:19   #15
BHPian

Tu-tu mein mein with pandus

Mods, requesting you not to delet this post, its more intersting in local language.
A small much-much with pandus.
People from Mumbai must be knowing this place very well.
Outside BPL gallery Vashi Sector 17 (Opp to Shweta palace).
Had parked my Esteem on the turning curve, had a chat with my friend who owns the BPL Gallery.Finaly we part off, I move to my car, sat in, turned it on, rolled the windows down, put the reverse gear, have a glance to the right and left side, slowly moving behind(playing with clutch,accelerator and brakes).Suddenly two tall muchad Pandus on Bullet turn and brake seeing my car,i had stopped before they did.
I was almost out of the parking place, they moved near to me and the bang bang starts.
Pandu(rider):A kay re, khujli aali kay.
Me:Saab,Kya hua, kuch galti hui kya?
Pandu: Kya re shanpatti karta hai kya,Peeche kaise aaya, Baap ka road hai kya?
Me: O Saheb, galat baat mat karo.
Pandu: S**la bade baap ka beta,reverse me b racing karta hai kya(loud exhaust).
Me: Saab aapko kuch malum nahi toh bolo mat, pehle batao hua kya.
Pandu: Tu chal tere ko andar batate hai kya hua.
Me: Agar koi galti hui toh Sorry,Muje jana hai faaltu ka time nahi merepass.If you did not see my car while you took the turn, aint my mistake and you are free to do whatever you want.Raised the volume of the system, literaly ignoring them.
Pandu: A hero aahes ka tu. Ghey re tyala he said to the pillion.
Pillion: Hero, reverse lete time dhyan diya kar.
Me(to the pillion): Saab, lagta hai aap pade likho ho, i said sorry and found way to get out of there.

Friends i fail to understand why do these cops try to act smart with youngsters with modded cars and bikes. A similar kind of incident happened when i was in a hurry to get back home on my Rx100, revving high on each gear.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks