Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2009, 10:59   #16
BHPian

After two broken windshields and dents on the bonnet (courtesy coconut trees in Jayanagar) I can only empathize with you. Good Luck!
Old 18th February 2009, 11:33   #17
Senior - BHPian

thats not a wreck
I was expecting some carnage and a totalled car. Dammit!
Old 18th February 2009, 11:41   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
thats not a wreck
+1

The title is very misleading. Just like those "Soccernet" types

I don't know why people keep on harping about NCB so much ? That actually destroys the whole purpose of "Insurance" in the 1st place.
Old 18th February 2009, 14:25   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
I don't know why people keep on harping about NCB so much ? That actually destroys the whole purpose of "Insurance" in the 1st place.
A lot depends on your insurance hisrtory. Assume you are a safe driver with say no prangs in quite some years, and your insurance is say 20,000 and you have a 30% NCB (you may be higher) then a claim of Rs.6,000 bumps you down to negative territory. Since you lose 50% wjhich you will get the next year and also take four years or so to build it up again.

They had a sensible policy (as in the UK) for reducing you by two years if you make a claim. Now you drop to zilch. The silly thing is that the comprehensive market has been profitable, and it was the act only market (esp trucks) which was the lossmaker. This was the time they reduced peak NCB from 60% to 50%. A classic case of cutting Peter's nose to keep Paul happy! They were unable to stand up to the transporters lobby.

This happened in the regulated industry days and may be needs a relook. In the UK your NCB goes up to 65% but if you reduce to 60% then you are allowed two claims in 3 (or is it 5) years with no loss of NCB!
Old 18th February 2009, 14:46   #20
Senior - BHPian

The only tree I hate probably is a Coconut tree, one such incident had damaged my car once and had to shell out 6.5k for replacing the ORVM, the dent is still there.
Anyway, better to check if the roof can be tinkered to get back in shape. I don't think you need to replace the entire roof itself. Glass obviously need to be replaced and AFAIK it's 100% insurance coverage for glass items. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 18th February 2009, 15:40   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
thats not a wreck
If you love your car, you will get pissed off at a minor scratch also. I don't blame him for calling this a wreck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
The roof isn't damaged that bad, a good repair job would be an easier and safer option.

Firstly, check how much your no-claim bonus on insurance is to decide wisely. I suggest you get a quote for the glass from windshield experts, they carry the same OEM glass that the showroom would provide. Their prices are lower too and if you tell them that you would be paying out of your pocket rather than insurance, they would give you some disc%
A reputed local garage can fix the dented roof for a fraction of the price, but thats only if you rather avoid claiming insurance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I dont think roof needs to be replaced, actually would advice against you since it will involve chopping and welding which can make the car less stiff. Little bit of tinkering can solve the roof issue, dealer might be taking you for a ride under the pretext of insurance cover.

Mostly the insurance surveyor will not approve the roof replacement also

I suggest that you repair the roof and replace the windshield. Labor will be covered and you will have to pay 50% of rubber beading.
I absolutely agree with both the above. Why don't you also get an independent quote?
Old 18th February 2009, 19:41   #22
BHPian

runeet you need to pay just 500 bucks as per the clause and something for the rubber beading and sealant. no labour charges to be paid in the 1st year of ownership. there is no way you have to 8k for that damage apart from the insurance claim.
Old 19th February 2009, 13:49   #23
BHPian

well the roofs not getting replaced, just talked to the honda guys tday, they said that the surveyor denied that part,(obviously they know how the dealership loves to change even the most minorly damaged parts). They were saying that the fitment area for the glass is also damaged nd all that.
Anyways they told the assurance guys to gimme a call so lets see what happens.
Old 19th February 2009, 16:42   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Tough luck, but the damage is not that severe. The roof needn't be changed. As per the instructions of the surveyor, have your dealer repair her back to perfection.
Old 19th February 2009, 19:04   #25
Team-BHP Support

Trust me runeet, i have seen roofs in even worse shape repaired in under 2 hours! Only thing they require some patience is the alignment of the roof lips where the glass rest, it has to be pulled back into shape as much as possible (based on curvature of glass). Reason is otherwise some very very minute leaks can crop up, but that also can be managed by having a bit of sealant overdose.

Replace glass and repair will be roughly worth 10-12k billing for Honda, where as replace roof will give them another 20-30 grand.

This is the only reason behind this worse case scenario move the car to another honda dealer after speaking to them.
Old 19th February 2009, 19:15   #26
Senior - BHPian

I've heard horror stories about Pune Honda dealerships. You might want to check with some of the other owners and see if you have an alternative independent garage to work with.

You should not need to replace that roof considering how minor the damage is.
Old 20th February 2009, 09:53   #27
BHPian

The roofs not being changed, just the glass. lets see how much it costs, seriously these service guys should not be called service technicians but replacement technicians, now they are giving me the reason that the roofs also got minor dents(which are noticable only if you are looking for them), hence it needs to be changed
Trust them to milk the most from their clients.
Old 20th February 2009, 10:04   #28
BHPian

The labour is also covered in the insurance, so the depriciation will be 5 % for metal parts(after 6 months all metal parts gets a 5% depriciation, AFAIK only the front windsheild gets 100% coverage everything else will be charged at 50% of the total cost. this might be the reason for the 8000rs estimate. Also the rubber beadings usually cost a tonne.
Old 20th February 2009, 10:11   #29
BHPian

Glass doesnt depreciate. You will be able to claim 100% on the glass. Rubber fixing thingies and plastic @ 50%.
Old 20th February 2009, 10:16   #30
BHPian

The 8000 estimate was including the roof change which I am not going for, as many here in this forum said as well as the insurance guy that it would ruin the structure of the car. I am guessing the estimate will come down for the glass.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks