Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2011, 18:02   #46
BHPian

re: The Yellow Sticker Shakedown In Gujarat Update: Rule abolished from March 2, 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
We may enter a little late. So I guess I will stick yellow tape and enter, and as soon as I see an accessory shop on the main road, i will change the yellow tape.
With headlights running, I doubt any cop will be smart enough to judge thickness etc., I guess they just want an yellow strip just for the heck of it.
AFAIK, these days, Cops are not stopping out of state cars that don't have yellow strip. It is strictly for GJ registered cars only. You just have to mention that you are a visitor. If you enter into Gujarat late night, I don't see any problem. You can always get it done next day morning.
Old 17th January 2011, 18:04   #47
J.Ravi

re: The Yellow Sticker Shakedown In Gujarat Update: Rule abolished from March 2, 2015

We halted for a day each at Ahmedabad and Surat during our recent trip. We went round these cities several times in my Fiat Linea. But, my Linea was not stopped by Gujarat cops for its lack of yellow sticker. Perhaps, my Linea was lucky.

Old 17th January 2011, 20:34   #48
BHPian

I was driving to through GJ and was stopped on the Ahmedabad ring road as soon as I left the expressway. But the cop's boss spoke to him in Gujarati (which I understand) "Can't you see the MH number plate? Let him go". And thus I was waved off. So looks like they do not stop out-of-state vehicles.
Old 17th January 2011, 20:41   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptushar View Post
I was driving to through GJ and was stopped on the Ahmedabad ring road as soon as I left the expressway. But the cop's boss spoke to him in Gujarati (which I understand) "Can't you see the MH number plate? Let him go". And thus I was waved off. So looks like they do not stop out-of-state vehicles.
Not really! They harass all cars, regardless of State they are registered. I have had my share of harassment, so I now have a permanent yellow sticker. The Ring Road stunt is deliberate to snare out-of-state vehicles.
Old 17th January 2011, 20:58   #50
BANNED

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Typing a message which is not a value-addition to the topic being discussed, or is just entirely irrelevant is considered as “Spam” on this community. Spamming is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 18th January 2011 at 10:39.
Live To Jive is offline   Received Infraction
Old 17th January 2011, 22:07   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Not really! They harass all cars, regardless of State they are registered. I have had my share of harassment, so I now have a permanent yellow sticker. The Ring Road stunt is deliberate to snare out-of-state vehicles.
Hi Hvkumar, Is this happened recently? I just completed following trips: 1. Anand - Ambaji - Udaipur - Anand. 2. Anand - Bhavnagar - Diu - Rajkot - Anand 2 weeks back. On both the trips, we had MH registered car along with my GJ registered car and there was no issue at all. We were not stopped any where and even we crossed so many police check posts.
Old 18th January 2011, 11:21   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Okay, reviving this old thread. Is there any thickness prescribed? It needs to be on both headlights or only right headlight.
I am thinking of sticking a yellow electrical tape for the duration of my Gujarat trip
Hi Tanveer,

My numberplate wallah was telling me that the rule states that 1/3rd of your headlight has to be covered. However, that's the rule.

Practically, a radium tape / yellow tape about a inch or more will be just about enough.

If you are still stopped, explain that this is a DL / PB vehicle that that the rule is not applicable in your state. The cops will let you go.

From practical experiences, i can safely say that the traffic cops stop vehicles on the following grounds.

Out of state - Hence carry your DL / RC / PUC
Yellow tape
Seat belt
Proper number plates not there - fancy plates
Though not applicable in your case - but more number of passengers
and in extreme cases - lights - headlight / taillight not working / there.

Hope that helps

Last edited by Bapu : 18th January 2011 at 11:30. Reason: added reasons
Old 18th January 2011, 11:25   #53
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for all your help Jay, HV and others. I will be cautious, and stick a yellow tape.
Better be safe than sorry.
Old 18th January 2011, 14:45   #54
Senior - BHPian

Cops here are dumb and corrupt. I could never understand the yellow tape and black dot stickers(or paint) thing on the headlights, neither of those help in reducing the glare for oncoming drivers. These are just ways to harass drivers and to extract money. Different days they have different rules. Certain days they will not even stop you if you are not wearing seatbelt or talking on the mobile while driving. Then on the other day, they will stop you and fine you for not having Original copies of the documents in the car, no point in arguing with them either. From what I have to understand, they are supposed to meet a "target" for a month in terms of money recovered from drivers flouting traffic rules and hence all this natak.

Even when you take delivery of your new car from the showroom here, the car will already have a long yellow sticker(with dealer' same, ph no etc..smart way of advertising) on the driver's side headlamp.

The traffic cops are themselves not fully aware of traffic rules. Some time back, they had this stupid campaign of pasting red radium stickers stating "Traffic Police, Junagadh( in gujarati)", I argued with the cops that the car has reflectors in the tail lamp cluster but they would simply not listen and stuck the sticker forceably. I reached home and promptly removed it because it looked ugly on the hatch door.
Attached Thumbnails
The Yellow Sticker Shakedown In Gujarat Update: Rule abolished from March 2, 2015-24592_1377255465760_1063065637_1102286_5481919_n.jpg  

Last edited by skanchan95 : 18th January 2011 at 15:01.
Old 18th January 2011, 14:58   #55
Senior - BHPian

The yellow sticker or strip whatever it is called, is in fact, the licence to drive through vibrant Gujarat with your headlamps in HiBeam; always. Right?

But it would be worthwhile if the entire country has one common rule so that the harrassment at the hnds of the wayside cops is put to an end.
Old 5th September 2011, 12:39   #56
BHPian

I crossed Ahmedabad 2nd Early morning, before entering GJ, I ensured I pasted Yellow insulation tape on RHS Lamp. Great! no stops no takedowns, and I breezed past. After crossing the border kept it on, realizing there were traffic cops between Himmatnagar and Ratanpur. Some Rajasthan cops are also checking for these after you cross-over.
Old 5th September 2011, 13:42   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

I have not been using yellow tape on my Corolla since last Nov ; but had the sticker on my earlier car and also on my scooters.

The "patti" does help a lot in reducing glare if positioned properly.Most people paste the sticker such that the complete area of the main beam reflector remains intact
Old 5th September 2011, 14:38   #58
BHPian

If there is a need for such a mechanism to reduce glare, why is it not being enforced across the country by legislation? Why are manufacturers not being tasked to address the issue? Is there a published official document on this regard either in Guj or in amy other state?

More questions than answers on this issue at the moment. We need to get to the bottom of this.

Last edited by rajcs : 5th September 2011 at 14:38. Reason: typo
Old 18th December 2011, 22:42   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I faced the same problem in Punjab, and have paid through my nose to thwart off the harassment by Punjab cops, who are definitely the worst of their kind in India, along with cops from Tamil Nadu.
I am very surprised at this comment hvkumar, not because I am from TN, but since you have seen the entire country by road and you had to say this one. I have seen, been and experienced TN cops, KA cops, KL cops, Mumbai cops, Delhi cops etc. too, yes, most are corrupt and want their way, but from my experience, these guys are wayyyy better than their counterparts elsewhere. Maybe you ran into some really scum of the earth cops once or twice, I am sure it is not more than that, unless you were at fault.
esteem_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2011, 23:12   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I am very surprised at this comment hvkumar, not because I am from TN, but since you have seen the entire country by road and you had to say this one. I have seen, been and experienced TN cops, KA cops, KL cops, Mumbai cops, Delhi cops etc. too, yes, most are corrupt and want their way, but from my experience, these guys are wayyyy better than their counterparts elsewhere. Maybe you ran into some really scum of the earth cops once or twice, I am sure it is not more than that, unless you were at fault.
Not once, but many times TN cops have harassed me. I shudder to drive into TN in my MH-registered car. I have been stopped to be extorted in most places in TN - Madras city outskirts, Dharmapuri, Kanyakumari, Conoor, etc. They have made exorbitant demands like Rs 5,000 in case of the Conoor cop who insisted that I should take a permit for my Scorpio and also alleged that I was a taxi driver despite being with my family, and I had to pull a few strings to get away from them. Yes, TN may be as bad if not worse than any other State in India. They also harbour notions that anyone from Bombay and who can speak to them in Tamil is some driver running a illegal taxi - I have decided to talk to TN cops in Hindi only hereafter In fact, I found cops in much-maligned Bihars more friendly and less greedy than TN cops.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks